Muskrat Memory Loss

So I went out much earlier today to do some Squirrel hunting, and once again I didn't see a thing. On my way back through the woods, I decided to take a detour that would lead me near a marsh, hoping that I may find a few raccoons by chance, even though it was just pass noon.

To my surprize, I saw something in the distance that looked like groundhogs, but these guys were doing something I've never seen a groundhog do, and that is actively swim! And with that, I knew what I was seeing was too small to be a beaver, so the only other thing it could be was a muskrat.

I raised up my monopod and decided to take this shot while standing. The FX Maverick launched a Hybrid Slug 52 yards (which just happens to be the zero distance), which erased all memories from the muskrat with a full pass through.

This is the second time I have taken game with the ATN X-Sight 5 5-25x LRF, but the first time I remembered to record and I decided to switch from using the 3840x2880 resolution to the 1920x1440 120fps mode so I can get some slo-mo, and I am very disappointed. The scope does the faster frame rate by line skipping instead of a more intelligent downscaling algorithm, and this simply destroys the quality.

So I went out much earlier today to do some Squirrel hunting, and once again I didn't see a thing. On my way back through the woods, I decided to take a detour that would lead me near a marsh, hoping that I may find a few raccoons by chance, even though it was just pass noon.

To my surprize, I saw something in the distance that looked like groundhogs, but these guys were doing something I've never seen a groundhog do, and that is actively swim! And with that, I knew what I was seeing was too small to be a beaver, so the only other thing it could be was a muskrat.

I raised up my monopod and decided to take this shot while standing. The FX Maverick launched a Hybrid Slug 52 yards (which just happens to be the zero distance), which erased all memories from the muskrat with a full pass through.

This is the second time I have taken game with the ATN X-Sight 5 5-25x LRF, but the first time I remembered to record and I decided to switch from using the 3840x2880 resolution to the 1920x1440 120fps mode so I can get some slo-mo, and I am very disappointed. The scope does the faster frame rate by line skipping instead of a more intelligent downscaling algorithm, and this simply destroys the quality.

curious if you ate it?

Reactions: N2 Shooter
@N2 Shooter Thanks for sharing. It sucks that the video quality degraded when you upped the FPS. I’ve never seen a muskrat in person. How large are they? That other one got the hell out of Dodge quick.

@cavedweller I’ve never heard of anyone eating a muskrat. I’ve chatted with trappers that take them for their pelts. Do you know of anyone that eats them?

Reactions: N2 Shooter
I grew up just south of Youngstown in (Boardman) and trapped a lot of muskrats for their pelts back in the early 60s. We got $.50-1.00 back then. A lot of work for $.50 lol. Between that and my paper route it kept me in pellets and .22 shells. Dumpster Panda pelts brought up to $3.00 then.
Cool!

I'm right in Youngstown but a block away from Boardman. If I can find a Black Friday deal on some waders, I may go back to Mosquito Creek and try to get enough to make me some gloves.