Multiple guns or 1 more adjustable rig?

Rabbits are running rampant in our neighborhood and looks like with the wife's blessing I may jump away from powder burners to dive a bit back into airgun land...used to shoot 10m paper targets competitively but that was 15+ years so lots of new stuff since then!

Traditional neighborhood on 1/4 acre lots or so, but not in city limits and no county ordinance against air guns so backyard shooting is legal but still trying to keep noise down as much as possible. Most shooting would be done from a mostly concealed patio area and longest backyard shot is realistically 20 yds....maybe 30 if I setup on the 2nd floor out a window at night.

My struggle is I know that when I go down this rabbit hole I'm quickly going to want something with more guts than the .177 that is right for my backyard and task at hand. Should I try and get something that is .22 cal and with enough adjustability and pellet choice can bring that fpe down to sub 20 and up to over 30 or is 2 dedicated rigs a simpler answer? Not many coons, few squirrels and no coyotes that I've seen but rabbits doing their thing like...well rabbits have caused a bumper crop this year.

Will be a PCP and initial budget I'm putting at about $1k but I already have the scuba tank from the prior venture and it was recently recertified so good there.

No preference between used or new but generally more of a buy once, cry once mentality so not looking for entry price point solutions. The backyard gun would benefit from compactness and I've enjoyed bullpup style ones in the past and have been looking at used Taipan or FX Wildcat or a new or used Akela. Several on the classifieds right now are intriguing me. What else should I be looking at in this area? If I went the 2 gun route, I'd probably justify to myself spending more on this one as it'd get greater use and could be used inside for precision paper punching

If I went the 2 gun route, the larger one would probably be a .25 cal in a longer platform, considering the Maruder or similar and would have 0 qualms buying used here as well and would probably prefer used to get more bells and whistles for same budget...what else in the .25 cal size and good to 80 to 100 yds should I learn about? This would primarily be small game/pest control though would like to try some field target matches if I can find some in my area.

So what says ya'll? Is a single gun with tuning or barrel sets feasible here...if so any recommendations? Or do you think separate tools for separate tasks is better and what would be your go to?

I would go with an fx bullpup in .177. easy to tune down to 10 fpe for a dead silent shot but can be tuned up over 20 fpe if wanted in the .177. After you get some time with it you will be able to add a 22 or .25 barrel setup. The only question is if you can find one in your price range. I have seen a few within $300-$400 of $1000.

Reactions: moondog

I would go with multiple guns, a .177 will meet your requirements for the rabbits in your yard and possibly to dabble in Field Target. A .22 or .25 for your other possible needs, bigger calibers use more air, etc, etc... You'll eventually own more than one, different tools for different purposes. I love my multi-tool, is it the first thing I reach for when I need a tool? In my case no. Good luck, fun decisions ahead for you.

shot placement is prime and you have experience . the .177 just mentioned would be great for your backyard and also give you wonderful bullseye target results .

Taipan Veteran Standard .177​

JUMP TO LATESTFOLLOW
Classified StatusWTS
[IMG alt="clgraham82"]https://www.airgunnation.com/data/avatars/s/0/871.jpg?1654695132[/IMG]

clgraham82

Member​

Add Feedback
Taipan Veteran Standard .177 with gray laminate stock.
DonnyFL moderator adapter and hammer spring adjuster
Anschutz Rail (never used)
Hawke Vantage 3-9x50 Mil Dot
FX No-Limit Scope Mounts
Carbon Fiber Moderator (can't remember where I got it?)
This gun is spot on at 50yds!
$1,000 shipped (no trades) (US only) Paypal FF - [email protected]

Reactions: maxtrouble
I would go with an fx bullpup in .177. easy to tune down to 10 fpe for a dead silent shot but can be tuned up over 20 fpe if wanted in the .177. After you get some time with it you will be able to add a 22 or .25 barrel setup. The only question is if you can find one in your price range. I have seen a few within $300-$400 of $1000.

I haven't ever shot an FX but they're on the list as everything I've read and watched says they're top notch and won't regret it. The new FX Wildcat Mk III BT looks like a sweet setup and a compact length in .177 and a sniper length in .22 or .25 would solve the problems...going to have to wait and see and maybe consider an older model from someone who upgraded to the new one! Thank you for helping!

Reactions: LDP

I've been coming back to that listing since it showed up and reading up on them...another brand I can't seem to find many negative things about

Reactions: maxtrouble
You would greatly benefit from a gun with an indented hammer spring adjustment.

If I were you, I'd jump on this deal right here, and you can tweak the Maverick dual reg system to your hearts content!
I saw that one as well, but by the time I put optics etc on it'll be over my mentally justifiable dollar limit and looking for something smaller than .25 cal for a backyard rabbit slacker. Thanks!

Hello If you can I would go with multiple guns. I find that it is a lot easier to grab one of my guns that are purpose built than to try to reconfigure it to a new need. That is not saying that many of the pcps are not flexible but for me who is not handy and does not tune his own guns its just easier to grab one that fits the bill. As others have said there have been some really nice guns come up in the classified recently like the Tapian, Zbroia, RTI, Condor or the Hubens. Well good luck in what you decide but if you can get what you really want because we always regret it in the end when we settle Eric.

The Taipan Veteran in .177 would be a beast. High shot count, deadly accurate and built like a tank. I have a .25 Veteran that holds air forever, trouble free and is very accurate. I highly recommend one.

4B6B38A8-ACD6-4886-8138-80CCC7D532F1.jpeg

Reactions: SHOMER and moondog
The Taipan Veteran in .177 would be a beast. High shot count, deadly accurate and built like a tank. I have a .25 Veteran that holds air forever, trouble free and is very accurate. I highly recommend one.

View attachment 278102
That looks like a sweet setup and range there...man I miss country living and my powder burner range!

I did buy the Taipan so by end of the week should have it in hand! Thanks everyone for the input and looking forward to this new toy I mean tool :)

Reactions: Skydivingmiami
Moondog,
The fact that you are even considering needing multiple guns leads me to believe that in the future, YOU WILL own multiple guns. Sounds like you are a "right tool for the right job" kind of guy and you've been "bitten by the bug", as have many of us hear on the forum. One day you will say "It all started when I wanted a .177 to kill rabbits and then .... NOW, I have ....(nicer, more expensive, more purpose specific guns)".
My advice would spend your money on something that is fairly common and/or "popular"(easy to sell WHEN you decide to upgrade). You will probably find that when you have a gun that YOU can shoot very ACCURATELY(as you will find it to be the most important factor to enjoyable shooting), it will serve most of your shooting purposes better and you will be slightly less prone to wanting/needing more guns.
Also, be prepared to start budgeting more money for the upgrades/accessories/scopes/etc... that you WILL want in the future.
Good luck with your decision and welcome to the addiction.

That looks like a sweet setup and range there...man I miss country living and my powder burner range!

I did buy the Taipan so by end of the week should have it in hand! Thanks everyone for the input and looking forward to this new toy I mean tool :)
I Also have a 177 taipan standard. Great gun! My favorite actually. Loves the cheap crosman pellets for plinking and the 10g AA or JSB pellets for hunting. I own many pcps,, including a 22 taipan. Fx crown 25, wildcat, leshiy, etc but I always grab my 177. Quiet and fun to shoot.

Hole in 1 with the jsb/AA pellets at 35 yards. (My max yard)