• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

MTC Viper Pro or Hawke Sidewinder

I'm a Hawke fan. Outstanding customer service to begin with. I've never owned a MTC although I've looked though one. Sorry MTC owners. I'm not impressed

I've owned several Gen 1 Sidewinders and currently own a Gen 2 Sidewinder FFP I use on my HFT rifle. I've not experienced any parallax shift due to temperature change. The narrow field of depth and wide field of view is ideal for this application. The ranging is very consistent as well. I've shot with guys who use as expensive or more so scopes and complain they have trouble seeing the KZ because it's all shot up and I don't have that problem. The clarity is excellent. The reticle when illuminated has a stepped brightness with an "off" between steps so you can turn on / turn off with just one click of the illuminator. 

The reticle is razor thin compared to other FFP scopes and this might shudder some shooters but for me, the target doesn't hide behind the hash marks. The FFP model also has the Christmas tree reticle and that could be a turn off because it may appear "too busy". Go to Hawke's website and determine that for yourself. 

I don't "click" my targets, I hold over because of the rules. However, when I've been out just plinking with the gun, the turrets are spot on and repeatable. Also, this model has what Hawke calls a "witness window" for elevation. 

Good luck with your decision! 

I too own one MTC, it was pretty pricey and seemed to be well specced from my SK-19 in .25

AOA even set it up for me. I hate it. It's worse than just bad, because on the one hand it's got some of the nicest feature set in any scope I've used, I love the flip up covers, and controls,. it's all laid out so nicely, it's seems very BMW compared to the Honda's i've used,.. BUT, the optics are simply the worst I have come across, even in scopes costing half as much made in China. It's downright frustrating.

On the other hand my much more affordable Hawke has great glass.

I too own one MTC, it was pretty pricey and seemed to be well specced from my SK-19 in .25

AOA even set it up for me. I hate it. It's worse than just bad, because on the one hand it's got some of the nicest feature set in any scope I've used, I love the flip up covers, and controls,. it's all laid out so nicely, it's seems very BMW compared to the Honda's i've used,.. BUT, the optics are simply the worst I have come across, even in scopes costing half as much made in China. It's downright frustrating.

On the other hand my much more affordable Hawke has great glass.

+1 almost to the word!