• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

MTC Viper Pro 5-30x VS Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 SFP

I would go for mtc viper pro. It have a small window that shows what yard it's range at. So if your target is at 50 yards. You turn the turret to 50 yards and hold for wind only. Lots of scope people just put a tape on the turret. While that also works I prefer having the small window to show only the range I'm shooting at without having a tape on the turret showing all the ranges.

I'm disappointed with my MTC pro. Not easy to wright the yardage on such a small turret. 1/4" moa clicks on turrets where 1/8" is better for precision shooting. Hard to focus and doesn't stay put. No matter how much time I spend focusing the reticle still moves to a different POI when I move my head/eye position.

If you're interested in 100 yard shooting then the 20X NF may not have enough magnification to always see your pellet holes.

I agree that NF is superior. You really need to see what a high end scope can do if you don’t own one go to a range on a busy day and hopefully someone with a high end scope will let you check it out. I saw my first high end scope 2 years before I took the jump and I have no regrets. The optics on your shooting package is the most important piece in getting great results. If you can’t see the target you probably won’t hit it.

Doesn’t one cost twice as much as the other? It’s not apples to apples. The Nightforce optics are MUCH better than the MTC, not even in same league...

AGREE!!! The Nightforce is a MUCH better scope, build and quality...no way you can even compare these two side-by-side. I checked out a MTC scope the optics where poor and the illumination was terrible. It had an extreme red halo-glow around the entire inside due to it’s poor quality.

Thanks for the input guys . Im new to optics and so far ive only experinced Leupold vx lower end scopes and currently have a vortex diamondback. Guess the Nightforce is undoubtedly the better option once the funds permit.

Save up and make the jump to one of the premier scopes. I only have one and I’m tempted to take it from one rifle to another. The difference in sharpness and clarity is amazing. The best comparison is to put a crumpled sheet of Saran Wrap over a scope then while looking threw it take it off. No more fuzzy target and reticle.

Mid priced scope have improved tremendously. I questioned a very knowledgeable fellow about this and he said the lens coatings have improved and the ability to etch the reticles plus manufacturing techniques have lead to vast improvements in optics in general. Not saying a NF is not worth the money but I do believe the gap has closed considerably. I have a bunch of guns and I can't afford multiple scopes costing thousands of dollars. I think you can do very well with scopes costing 5 to 700 dollars.

On my long-range sniper rifles, I consider Nightforce entry level. They are much better than MTC, of course, but Not as good as the German and Austrian scopes that cost more. You, definitely, get what you pay for when it comes to most scopes. Now, I don't own a bunch of airguns but I do have a TON of firearms -- way too many according to most who know me... I feel that the latest MTC offerings are good enough for my FX ImpactX and would not put anything more expensive on it. However, we are all different and I respect the fact that others may disagree.

One thing to consider that no one has mentioned. When brand new some of the cheaper scopes will look a lot better out of the box than after a year or two. So if you get a cheaper model make sure that it comes from a company that has warranty repair service in the US. If the nitrogen leaks out the scope will fog up and if you can only get it fixed by shipping it off to China I’d be worried. With time orings do dry out and that’s when the gas in the scope can leak. I’ve been lucky with my scopes never had a serious problem with any and I have some cheap UTG that cost $100 up to $3000 Sightrons . Once I sight gun in I make a cheat sheet for the distance it’s on and I’ll use adjustments I make with the reticle to get on target. By doing it this way I minimize the wear and tear caused by spinning the knobs.