• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

MTC taipan 4-16x50 V. Falcon menace 5.5-25x50

Hi guys,
Well.. everything is in the title !! ^^
I currently own the MTC taipan but I've reached the limits of this scope and I'd like to go FFP... So is the falcon a good choice or not please? I've already asked a similar question quite a long time ago but in this post, I'd really like to know your feelings when comparing these two brands and two scopes.. (reliability, quality etc) as I've read everything and it's opposit about falcon... 
(Mind that falcon's weight ain't a problem)
Thanks for your answers !! =)

Hi James. I have the Faclon but not the MTC. Mine is the IR version. I have a bit of a love hate relationship going with it. You can read my thread on it here: http://airgunnation.dev/topic/scope-ordered-falcon-5-5-25x50ir-with-b20-reticle/
I have not completely made up my mind on it yet. The weather this time of year is very dark (plus I live in the woods which makes it even darker) cold and wet where I live and so I want to wait until spring summer to be able to give it a real workout. There are two main issues I have with it. First is the exit pupil is small which makes it very sensitive to eye placement making it hard to find just the right spot to look through. The second is that the reticle zooms in so far at the highest magnifications that you loose the bottom couple mils. This will only be a problem if you want to shoot a really extended ranges at the higher mag settings. You could always re-zero a couple mils higher than center to compensate. It also has some distortion at the edges that cause the reticle to distort as you move your eye from side to side and up and down. Not the center of the reticle just the far left and right and top and bottom. This has not been a problem shooting but is kind of weird. Also when the illumination is on there can be some bloom on higher settings but mainly only if it is set to bright for the conditions. Like many higher power scopes (especially less expensive ones) it gets darker at higher mag settings. This is not a problem in bright daylight settings but is in the dark woods in winter.

On the positive side this scope is built like a tank and I have no doubt it will be durable. It has performed flawlessly so far and seems to track well. I will do more testing come spring/summer and decide if I'm going to keep it. Mine has the B20 reticle and I really like it! It's fine enough for target work and the illumination makes it visible in dark settings. It also has both red and green settings. It has the type of knob that starts low and gets brighter with each click as you rotate it. I wish it had off positions between each setting like my Primary Arms 4-14x44 ffp scope does. I also wish the reticle would turn off after a period of inactivity like some higher end scopes do. I have left it on a few times. I have used it out to 100 yards so far and the glass is reasonably clear.

The bottom line with this scope is that all the issues I pointed out are things that I can learn to live with. We have to keep in mind the price point of this scope. If it was a $1000. plus scope these issues would be disappointing but it is only half that and good FFP scopes are expensive to make. The fact is that this is about our only option for a high power FFP close focus scope for PCP air gun use. I have been looking at all the options up to about $2000. and have not found one yet that is paralax free under 35 yards then only the SWFA HD5-20x50 $1300. All the rest are 50 yds and over. So If you want a higher power FFP scope the Falcon is really your only choice. There are many good choices in the 9-15 power range such as the Primary Arms 4-14 that is an amazing value for the money! I hope this helps with your decision. Good luck!

30cal.

Thanks a lot for your comment mate !!!
So all in all, I think I will be really satisfied with this scope: going to x20 mag and FFP from x10 mag and SFP, I think I'll find it amazing.
I've been offered a swap with an hawke sidewinder 8-32x56 srpro ret tonight but said NO considering the features of this ret, I thought I could be disapointed with all the "getting used to" of a ret made by an FT shooter, for the FT shooters shooting with 12 ftlbs airguns. 
Again, thanks very much for your help, it helps me having a better idea of what I'm about to buy, now, I might also consider the 4-18x ??? one as no dot will disappear at highest mag....

if you think about anything else I could be interested in about this scope, don't hesitate to tell me !!! =)

James

James, 30cal

Please explain exactly why you need a 20+ mag scope on an air rifle ???

Here's a crib sheet for you (get out of jail free :) )
(pure 'field target' shooters like to utilize the obvious LACK OF depth of field exhibited by these types of scopes for 'range finding').

There's various parts of your discussions upon 'scopes' that I totally disagree with here, but it's bedtime here...

catch up tomoz :)

Hi BRS !! =)
Thanks for your answer and hope you hada good night ;)
So.... Tell us about what you disagree with please !!! COncerning my choice of high mag, it's just a question of personnal preference: I don't see the point of shooting a FAC pcp at 40 meters, the real deal with this type of rifle is to obtain really good groups at long range (150 meters, 200 meters) and funny plinking at even higher ranges !!
I know x25 mag is an overkill for this kind of "not so long range" for normal powder gun like .223 for example but as I told you, I wanna shoot long range (for pcp rifles) and this choice is just my personnal preference, I like to see the exact spot I'm aiming at for enhanced accuracy =)

My thoughts exactly James. My thing is duplicating long range powder burner shooting with an air gun. I use a RAW Hm1000x .25 with the Falcon 5.5-25x50 for this. I also have an 8-32x50 target scope that I swap for shooting groups at 100 plus yards. It gets very hard to see .25inch holes at that distance and beyond with a 12-14 power scope. I have a 14x scope on my .22 Marauder and 75-80 yards is about my limit for group shooting with that. Sure I can hit 3 inch gongs at much further distances but can't see .22 inch holes in paper.

Yep 30cal and Ginuwine1969, we think the same way =)
Everybody is different but I really don't see the point nor the pleasure to shoot a high end pcp at 50 meters max when it's capable of outshooting many powder rifles at really long ranges (again, for PCPs). But I do see the point of choosing a scope that allows you to see the exact point you want to shoot at at that distance =).
As you said 30cal, my choice of scope would be different if my pleasure was to shoot a 1 square meter gong at 100 meters =)