MTC SWAT 12x50 prismatic kind of interesting

I don't have a ton of experience behind me, so I'm still learning as I go. I've got a Vector Veyron 3-12, a Hawke Sidewinder 4-16 FFP and now the MTC SWAT 12x50 in the collection.

I was curious about the field of view from a prismatic and what a zero eye relief scope might be like.

First impressions are very good. I generally wasn't using much over 8x with my other scopes because the reduced FOV made finding a chipmunk or squirrel on fast offhand shots kind of tricky. It's fine if I have some time to find them and get on target but a lot of the time, I need to quickly draw up and fire.

The FOV at 12x I haven't done a side by side with yet but it feels as wide as my other scopes at 4-6x as a guess. It's very easy to eyeball, raise up and get on target. The parallax DOF is nice and shallow so once I get it settled, I expect ranging to work pretty nicely.

I've got the scope on a Leshiy 2 long and it's about an inch farther forward than I'd like optimally so I may get an offset pic rail extender to try under it. The magazine on the L2 needs height on the mount to clear that the stock mount won't allow.

The glass is decent looking, the reticle is SFP so it's good and bold and for holdover shooting, it's close enough for me.

The illumination "switch" is very poorly designed however. It's the one thing I dislike right away. It's a rubber cutout in the battery door that lets you shove the battery itself against the switch pad that is under the battery and is also the power contact point for the battery. It's a bad design, very tempermental. The IR reticle in the Hawke is much more refined looking and functions a lot better with the rotary switch it has.

It seems they discontinued this scope as well, doesn't seem listed on the MTC site any longer. Maybe a supply thing? Not sure.

It's definitely not a cheap scope but it's an interesting thing to play with if you've not tried a prismatic optic. Time will proof it for me.

Do you think the eye relief is good enough for people who wear glasses? That's been the only thing holding me back from getting an Immersive Optics version.
I wear glasses (progressive lenses), can't see anything sharply closer than the end of my outreached fingertips without them.

It works with them on, you need to have your eyeglass lens pressed into the scope objective, but it's a better sight picture without the glasses on. I just flip my glasses up on my head or set them aside. The diopter adjustment is generous so no issue focusing the reticle.

You put your eye on it the same as a monocular or binoculars. You need to be very close for the full image.

I just finished zeroing it a few minutes ago and I think I'm going to like it. By far most of my shooting is off hand and 50yds and less and this magnification for small critters is pretty solid. The parallax depth is pretty shallow so ranging should be decently accurate. Next step is to put stickers on after ranging it with my diopter all adjusted.

Reactions: bigHUN
So the illumination switch is still an annoyance, poor design. The other nit to pick is that in order to zero index the turrets, they each have three tiny grub screws that have to be removed and of course one of them went *pop* off the allen key while I was dumb enough to do it outside. At least the turret is solid with just two of three screws in place. Those two issues aside, I'm happy with it, nice bright view, really wide FOV and quick to acquire a tiny target as a result.

I have any time of a year at lest 5-6 scopes I have nowhere to mount and I had a good time comparing the glass through many years...also my main hobby was photography for five decades, so pretty literate with a good glass.
The IO 14x50 is a very impressive glass, but useable for a specific game only. I think the MTC 12x50 is the same or similar spec. And very finicky for placement in front of your eyes.
People I guess doing a basic mistake mounting a scope on a gun where they like the look of it.
The only proper way (height, distance) is:
You close your eyes,
bring the gun to your anchor point,
open your eyes.
Is the scope "there"?
You don't move your head around, you need to bring the scope to your posture.
I have a full box of "spare part" just for adjusting-mounting scopes. You don't just buy the turret, any turret that looks good. You need to fit the scope to your use.
Just my 2c

For anyone looking for an offset riser to mount a prismatic scope to the L2, this one worked out well for me. It clears the magazine and brings the scope back to where it needs to be.

Lion Gears makes a variety and sells them on Amazon as well. They seem reasonably-good.

I have a few Immersive Optics prismatic scopes and I wear glasses. My only issue is worrying about scratching my eyeglass lens when it's pressed up against the ocular lens and the ring that holds it.

My daughter's boyfriend was able to print some rings that fit around the eye piece from TPM plastic which is kind of rubbery and flexible.
messages_0.jpeg

messages_0 (1).jpeg

This is what I was trying to avoid hitting my glasses and some of measurements I gave him:

20211206_194722_2.jpg

They ended up fitting reasonably well. I'm sure I'll lose a few but he printed a bunch of variations for me.

Now that I have the offset riser positioned where it's comfortable, I'm starting to really like it. With some time behind it now I can raise up and get on target pretty quick and definitely much more easily on a small target than 12x on my 4-16 optics at 12x. Most of what I'm doing is walking around and shooting offhand standing at chipmunks.

As mentioned above, if you wear glasses, it works but I flip my glasses up to avoid smudging or scratching the lense. If you have to wear glasses to use a scope, it would probably not be a great option. I still dislike the illumination switch design.

I'm running it on my Leshiy2 and just went back to the 18.1 JSBs and over the 14.3 CPHPs I was playing with, they really pack a wallop. The 18.1 H&N and JSBs seem to be the sweet spot for sure.

ADM just started making a quick-release offset riser that's just about right for these short eye-relief prismatic scopes.

PXL_20230131_125625119.jpg

I haven't mounted it yet on my Leshiy since it doesn't quite clear the backing plate (the plate the magazine attaches to). I'll have to trim the riser a little bit to make it fit. That said, ADM mounts in my experience have always given a reliable zero between mounts. Looking forward to seeing if this will let me use the MTC more often.

ADM just started making a quick-release offset riser that's just about right for these short eye-relief prismatic scopes.

View attachment 328254

I haven't mounted it yet on my Leshiy since it doesn't quite clear the backing plate (the plate the magazine attaches to). I'll have to trim the riser a little bit to make it fit. That said, ADM mounts in my experience have always given a reliable zero between mounts. Looking forward to seeing if this will let me use the MTC more often.
Oohhhhh, that's nice, especially with thr IR/Element thing in the pipe --- you might want to post this over in the IR thread.

Trimmed a bit off the ADM mount, now I can get the scope as far back as I like.

PXL_20230306_090605458.NIGHT.jpg

I wanted a reliable quick-release mount for the SWAT since when the scope is mounted properly, the Leshiy isn't very compact when folded. I didn't want mounts that took forever or were unreliable. The ADM mounts solve those issues.

You can see the little bit I trimmed off the mount, about a 1mm notch right above where the magazine sits. It only really need about a 0.4mm notch, but this gives it plenty of clearance.

I just got the 12X50 MTC S.W.A.T. and trying it on my P-Rod. Takes some getting used to put one's eye so closed to the lens, but it does open up a wide world of view. With parallax focused at closer ranges (<20 yds) the edge of the glass is not always crisp. I doesn't affect the center of the lens and crosshairs though. I just took out a Starling, high in a tree at 50 yds offhand, and the glass was crystal clear all the way to the edges, so I deduced the 12 power lens is best at >25 yards. I'm guessing the 10 power model would be preferable for shoot under 25 yds mostly. Also, at the under 20 yd distances I have to readjust parallax to get a finely focused target. I wasn't sure if I was going to use the rubber eye accordion, but I found I like it because I can adjust/rotate it to rest against the upper side of my nose to create a consistent eye relief point and a comfortable one at that. I is much lighter than the other scopes I have use on the P-Rod so I like that aspect very much. I was impressed with how the scope got my crosshairs on the that 50 yard starling shot and somewhat surprised that I nailed him. The "Whack" was very loud and solid sounding.

P-Rod with MTC S.W.A.T (2).jpg

Reactions: Steveguy
I just got the 12X50 MTC S.W.A.T. and trying it on my P-Rod. Takes some getting used to put one's eye so closed to the lens, but it does open up a wide world of view. With parallax focused at closer ranges (<20 yds) the edge of the glass is not always crisp. I doesn't affect the center of the lens and crosshairs though. I just took out a Starling, high in a tree at 50 yds offhand, and the glass was crystal clear all the way to the edges, so I deduced the 12 power lens is best at >25 yards. I'm guessing the 10 power model would be preferable for shoot under 25 yds mostly. Also, at the under 20 yd distances I have to readjust parallax to get a finely focused target. I wasn't sure if I was going to use the rubber eye accordion, but I found I like it because I can adjust/rotate it to rest against the upper side of my nose to create a consistent eye relief point and a comfortable one at that. I is much lighter than the other scopes I have use on the P-Rod so I like that aspect very much. I was impressed with how the scope got my crosshairs on the that 50 yard starling shot and somewhat surprised that I nailed him. The "Whack" was very loud and solid sounding.

View attachment 341847
I shoot pigeons off my roof at about 40 yards and don’t shoot anything closer than that. I’m also planning a trip out west for prairie dog shooting which will easily be 40+ yds as well so maybe this scope is perfect?!

View attachment 341847
Thanks for your feedback! The closest I shoot is right around 40yds so this sounds like a good scope for me as well. The longest will be around 150yds (prairie dogs), have you tried it atbthose distances as well? What was your opinion? Enough magnification?