MTC Optics Viper Connect SL 3-12x32 vs Vector Veyron IR 4-16x44

That's a bit of a conundrum. For low light, you want a large front objective. Compact scopes tend to have short eye relief as well.

Honestly for close to medium range in low light.... that's compact, I wouldn't recommend a scope. I've been using a riton 2moa red dot (very small red dot) the brightness can adjust super dim, too. I can easily shoot it in almost no light at all. I do a lot of plinking, so sometimes I pop outside and take some shots. On a very dark night, if the target is just barely catching some light and reflecting it back, I can hit it out to 40 yards at farthest I've tried with this gun. Much farther it's hard to see at night. And really pushing the limits of this little gun, too. (620ish fps)

20220311_175825_edited.1650586863.jpg

Now, if you HAVE to have magnification, you're going to have to compromise size and weight most likely and just get something with a large front objective. 

@Long_Gun_Dallas It will primarily be used on a pistol carbine, but it would be cool to have something with an IR that I can switch from the pistol to my Lelya. I haven’t shot the pistol out beyond 50-52 yards and don’t intend to make it a habit of shooting out any farther. Hunting within 35-40 yards is ideal. I would appreciate the magnification to zoom in and key in on squirrels hiding in the foliage before taking a shot. The weight factor was another aspect I was mulling over. I saw some scopes in the 1.25 - 1.6 lb range. Seems a little heavy for a pistol carbine. However, lately I have been doing more shooting off sticks as opposed to off-hand. 

With the vector Veyron IR 4-16x44, at settings 4-6 for IR, it light up the whole reticle. At 4 power, it's dimly litted while at 6 power, it's super bright. I usually just keep might at 4-5 for low light situations.

It would be nice to see some photos. That’s one thing I appreciate about listings from certain manufacturers. Some will post photos of their varied reticle options. If I could see a photos of how the illuminated reticle looks, it would be a great help in assisting me in making my purchasing decision.

@long_gun_dallas I have not used a red dot scope before. Are there any holdover marks in the ones you use? 

No, no hold over marks. You can get prismatic scopes that do. Maybe check primary arms.

No zoom, unless you attach a magnifier behind it. With no zoom, hold over is super minimal if any. It's very intuitive. I've seen other members use them at very long ranges with stunning results. I know shooting and aiming technique would play a role there.

For light Transmission on a scope the smallest I would go is 44mm front objective for low light. I intend to get a 56mm soon just for this. 

@ezana4ce, I took these two photos, they're pretty bad, but maybe they'll help. Scope at 12x, IR on level 6 (highest). The clicks on the turrets are tactile and audible. I've been using hold overs from my 25 yard zero, +1/2 mil @ 40 yards, 1.5 mil @ 50 yards, 2 mil @ 54 yards, and 3 mil @ 60 yards. Today I dialed elevation, back and forth between those distances and got first round hits on my favorite targets... Black walnut husks, some more chewed than others. All representing kill shots on pests.

image.1650673609.jpeg
image.1650673635.jpeg

Because I’m familiar with the Veyron, I opted try a Westhunter based upon the input of trusted AGN members. Depending upon my impression, I may stick with it or I may try a Veyron with an illuminated reticle. I’ve read enough mixed reviews about MTCs that I’m no longer considering too much of anything from that brand. Thanks for the input and responses folks. 

@ezana4ce, yes the West Hunter WHT 3-12x44 SFIR FFP.

@L-Leon I just may have to grab one of those. I have a few options to work with right now, but I’m going to need that IR for low light hunting. Thank you. The IR photos are a BIG help. Did you purchase through Amazon?

@L-Leon I think I got the wrong one. I thought I was getting this one

A7C4CAB8-0D86-4F4F-A185-833328948FD5.1651019304.jpeg

Ended up with this one 

BA61B1DB-A154-4FAA-8D02-35524C1FA8A7.1651019497.jpeg

AAF8B7AB-D45C-41BF-B331-28817BBCE0CC.1651019947.jpeg

I’m gonna try it, but it’s long as hell for what I had in mind. 

That's a bit of a conundrum. For low light, you want a large front objective. Compact scopes tend to have short eye relief as well.

Honestly for close to medium range in low light.... that's compact, I wouldn't recommend a scope. I've been using a riton 2moa red dot (very small red dot) the brightness can adjust super dim, too. I can easily shoot it in almost no light at all. I do a lot of plinking, so sometimes I pop outside and take some shots. On a very dark night, if the target is just barely catching some light and reflecting it back, I can hit it out to 40 yards at farthest I've tried with this gun. Much farther it's hard to see at night. And really pushing the limits of this little gun, too. (620ish fps)

View attachment 209869

Now, if you HAVE to have magnification, you're going to have to compromise size and weight most likely and just get something with a large front objective.