MTC Optics Viper Connect SL 3-12x32 vs Vector Veyron IR 4-16x44

In preparation for the second half of squirrel season I’m looking for different glass to deal with educated squirrels and issues I ran into in the first half. Low light situations gave me problems and some of the squirrels have figured it out. With that said I meant a compact scope with an illuminated reticle. The Vector Veyron 4-16x44mm IR, FFP has been on my radar for a couple of months. Here’s a link to the Veyron https://www.edgunwest.com/store/optics/vector-optics/item/vector-veyron-4-16x44-ir/

I’ve also been looking at this MTC Viper Connect SL 3-12x32mm. It’s a bit heavier, But the eye relief is shorter and the FOV is killing the Veyron on paper. I’m a bit apprehensive about the clarity of the glass because from other posts I’ve read it appears that the Veyron may trump the Viper Connect glass. The Viper Connect also has an awkward looking build with the way the IR controls are situated. It would also help to know if this is an FFP or SFP scope. Here’s a link to the MTC https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/scopes/mtc-optics-viper-connect-sl-3-12x32-scb2/#tab-2

I’d like opinions and input from members who have used both scopes. If this post inspires folks to run out and buy up all of these scopes, I’m not too concerned. At this point I’m curious and ready for squirrel season to reopen. 

I had both and couldn't really stand the viper connect. Field of view is definitely much wider than the Veyron but just turn down the power or get something that's not as compact. Low light performance I think Veyron is pretty good and I didn't think Viper connect was any good in low light situation but horrible if you point it anywhere close to the direction of the sun. Basically I couldn't stand the viper connect. 

@Qball Compact is a must. The glass will sit atop short guns and I don’t see the prismatic scopes as an attractive alternative. You have a Veyron with an IR? It’s the IR that I’m hoping will be a game changer for low light situations. Was it the clarity of glass that turned you off on the Viper Connect in comparison to the Veyron? And is the Viper Connect FFP or SFP?

Steer clear of anything MTC. That's the general consensus. I have the MTC scope you speak of, and it's ok. But I do have some complaints. Max zoom is useless. The picture gets really washed out at high mag and dim. And having such a wide FOV, I acutally pick up glare off of my barrel, even on a very short gun. on much over 7x IIRC. Otherwise it's a unique piece. Eye relief does not exist. Your face goes literally on the scope. This can be an advantage, and can add an additional point of contact/stability when shooting off-hand. Good for very light/compact guns. See I mounted a torch on the pp800 as it's useless in low light, lol.

176525230_10159124067049034_7555518931499532580_n.1650525407.jpg
20220102_000118_edited.1650525438.jpg

Reactions: 7Green
@Long_Gun_Dallas Well then that settles it. The MTC is not for me. I don’t want to put my eye directly on a scope. I get enough of that with night hunting gear. Thank you for your input. And the max magnification is no good? By the way, which Artemis model is the black gun hanging up? I can’t read the writing on the breech clearly. 

@Long_Gun_Dallas That 1332 is a looker and looks like it can hit pretty hard. Nice looking amount of volume on that air tube. 

It turned out pretty good, and I was lucky to get the parts.

27fpe out of a LW 7.6" barrel in .22 cal !!

airtube is 165cc, also have a 210cc tube for it

Green stock actually belongs on my pumper, lol. Recently got another full stock for this gun. Was intended to be a pistol, but I go back and forth with most of my guns. As you can see, lol.
98453758_10158215695414034_2233642229556051968_n.1650526508.jpg

275634850_10159738822689034_2460257380062806755_n.1650526466.jpg

20211229_021237_edited.1650526524.jpg

274052293_10159692567564034_3234930441305853851_n.1650526824.jpg

@Long_Gun_Dallas I like how you convert the pistols to carbine. Seeing you do that changed my perspective on air pistols. 27 fpe from a .22 pistol will put down many types of animals. Which pellet do you use to deliver that sort of power? What sort of range do you get on it before accuracy is compromised? Were you satisfied with running an MTC rifle scope on your carbine pistol? Or did it not remain on there long?

All of my pistols are like this, lol. Always good to have options. 3/5 are pistol format right now, but all can be converted. I was using JSB 18.13gr @820fps. I havn't pushed the range on it, so I honestly don't know. But I do have a regulator for it as well. The barrel on it has been cut and re-choked specifically for AA 16gr pellets, and it likes those best, but will shoot most everything quite well. I changed back to a 1.75-10x scope as I can get more useable zoom, and the stock on it already offers a ton of support by means of cheek weld. But the gun does spend most of it's time as a pistol. I can nail the top edges of soda cans out at 35 yards with the pistol like clockwork. (short airtube is regulated to 11fpe, super quiet, over 100 shots)

@Scotty1 Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten. I think I read that somewhere on here a month or two ago. It may have been you who mentioned it then. The IR is very important for my needs. I would like something to provide a sharp contrast to for target acquisition in low light. I think the right illuminated reticle may be the key. I’d like some illuminated crosshairs. I’m tempted to checkout the Westhunter that @L-Leon and others have been using, but part of me wants something that’s compact, light, and has been tested for longevity and proven durable. 

I have a Vector Veyron 3-12 and a USO 3-12. They’re basically the same scope other than a few different specs. I know you’re looking at the 4-16 but as far as eye relief they’re all the same. They all have a really short eye relief and if you’re running a full size stock you’ll have to have your mount back quite a bit.

Here’s a pic of my R7/HW30 which the stock is pretty compact and you can see how far back I have to have the mount.

B829D902-8384-49E2-B00D-DAED9A449550.1650556740.jpeg

@Qball Compact is a must. The glass will sit atop short guns and I don’t see the prismatic scopes as an attractive alternative. You have a Veyron with an IR? It’s the IR that I’m hoping will be a game changer for low light situations. Was it the clarity of glass that turned you off on the Viper Connect in comparison to the Veyron? And is the Viper Connect FFP or SFP?

Sorry, I had a discovery illuminated version which has a good illuminated reticle so if you need the whole reticle illuminated check out the discovery 3-12 which is one of the best compact scope for the money. Like many said the viper is useless pass 6X and with zero eye relief I rather use my cheap LPVO, MUCH faster target acquisition and just as good field of view. Sure there isn't parallax but it's much faster, I found the viper connect very slow to align eye, adjust parallax and find the target. In case I haven't made it clear I hate the viper connect! LOL!

@ezana4ce, can’t comment as to the longevity. But so far I’m really liking the West Hunter. Am currently using hold overs out to 60 yards. The illumination is daylight visible, and will not bloom at lower levels in use in dark spaces. Will begin to dial with it soon, getting use to shooting using mils. as opposed to MOA.

@L-Leon That’s the one thing that I think is preventing me from pulling the trigger on purchasing for my current application. Then the price point of the illuminated Vector (with an illuminated dot) doesn’t compare with a comparable Discovery outfitted with an illuminated reticle. This Discovery model https://airgunopticsplus.com/collections/scopes/products/new-optic-sight-scope-discovery-high-quality-tactical-riflescope-hs-4-14x44sf-waterproof-and-shockproof-rifle-scope-for-hunting seems like a better option than the Veyron 4-16x44 IR, FFP at a very similar price point. The only drawback is the shipping time. 
Now that I’m looking at Discovery scopes, I should note that they have some decent scopes on sale for decent price points. 

@ezana4ce, I hear you on longevity... My West Hunter has a 3 year warranty and I don't foresee it crapping out. Not from use on a small, non recoiling PCP. The West Hunter is a well built unit, the illumination is much brighter at all levels than my G1 Athlon Helos. The clicks on the turrets are crisp and audible. I definitely have no qualms about it lasting. I've taken over 30 pests already with this sweet little scope. I intend to post up after using the scope throughout the season. Having it in hand I would purchase it again... I still might pick up another for one of my ARs.