• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Mrod issue?

My .177 mrod field/target started having issues cocking, it would randomly not cock. I would pull it out of the stock, look it over, it would cock fine and when reinstalling it would work for a bit and then stop again. I took it apart again today and found a pellet in the trigger group. I can only assume this is what was causing the random cocking issue? So, wth? How did that pellet end up in the trigger group? Anybody have this happen beforE?

Take a look at the trigger group (requires removal from stock (1 bolt), loosen the (2) hex screws holding it down while its uncocked, push the trigger group forward towards the muzzle and re-tighten, there is a minor amount of slop there that sometimes remedies cocking issues.

Other possible options are requiring adjustment on trigger group itself (unlikely), or reducing the preload / tension on the hammer spring. HTH

As to the pellet in the trigger group, that is weird, likely had a pellet fall into the bolt probe area (behind magazine) which can lead to a pellet making its way downward into the trigger group, otherwise a mystery to me!

-Matt

My .177 mrod field/target started having issues cocking, it would randomly not cock. I would pull it out of the stock, look it over, it would cock fine and when reinstalling it would work for a bit and then stop again. I took it apart again today and found a pellet in the trigger group. I can only assume this is what was causing the random cocking issue? So, wth? How did that pellet end up in the trigger group? Anybody have this happen beforE?

The pellet can sometimes come back out of the Marauder magazines just by cocking the gun when the next pellet catches the probe on the rearward motion especially when using short or light weight pellets or cocking it too slowly and the damaged pellet probably fell and found its way down to your trigger group while you were constantly cocking the gun to get the trigger sear to hold. Happens in the 177 Theoben Rapids and RAWs too with short or light weight pellets such as for example the 7.4gr or 7.9gr Crosman pellets since the magazine designs are very similar the short pellets rides snug against the bolt probe in the rearward cocking motion. Yo!

I’m looking at the manual, do I want to use a 1/4 Allen and turn the spring tension CCW? Is it the hammer spring preload that could be causing my issue?

Does the hammer stroke have anything to do with cocking/not cocking?

If there too much tension on the hammer spring, yes it can make it have cocking issues.

Just remember where it is adjusted now, and try one turn out and see if it makes a difference in whether it corrects the cocking issues.

If it doesn't, you can always put it back to where it was, then try something else.