• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

MRod/Armada barrel quality?

I was just about to buy a 25 cal MRod or Armada today and I found out that thy no longer use green mountain barrels. I was instantly second guessing buying on because I had read that the Crossman barrels where rather junky. I asked Crossman about barrel quality and if it was true that thy dropped green mountain. All thy would say was that yes thy do t use green mountain any more. 

My question, have thy sorted out their barrel issue or is it not worth the gamble and I should go with 22 and a LW barrel. like I said I was about to buy a gun today to take advantage of the free shipping but now I’m unsure. Thanks guys

I have the original green mtn barrel and a new Crosman barrel, both in .25.

my green mtn barrel is far better than the new .25 Crosman barrel. The Crosman barrel has a very very tight choke, much tighter than my green mtn barrel.

The .22 barrels originally had problems in the Marauder line, but I believe they got it sorted out. I think if I were to buy another Marauder or Armada I would try the .22. Just my 2 cents. 

I work at a lumber mill (I’m the Machinist). We have a very bad rock chuck problem and we (maintenance) are allowed to shoot them but has to be “pellet guns”. I have an old Original German Beeman R1 In .177 but it just doesn’t cut the mustard. Don’t get me wrong it’s a great gun but for my uses and various shooting conditions it’s impractical. Granted I have never taken it apart and rebuilt it so I guess it’s not a fair shake. When dialed in off a repeatable position and grip it shoots amazing troops. But off the hood of a truck, side of a log, buddy’s shoulder exc the POI changes. So I need something that’s much more accurate and can drop anything from a pidgin to a coon. This lead me to the current topic at hand. I’m probably going to sell the R1 as it would need to help fund the PCP.

Buy a 22 Kral Puncher Breaker bullpup or rifle in the Marauder - Armada price range if you need excellent accuracy on that kind of budget. No regulator nor tinkering needed. Barrel lottery odds are most likely a winner. The current 22 Marauders have improved Crosman barrels but the Krals are more consistent straight out of their box and no tinkering necessary.

Not sure if your in a big hurry to get at those critters but keep your eye on the classifieds. I have seen some marauders go pretty cheap. Also you could post an add letting people know your wanting the GM barrel. I have a 22 with the Crosman LW barrel and it is very good. I also have not heard a lot of complaints on the forums about the new 25 caliber Crosman barrels. Just sayin. I don't know anything about Kral but one thing to consider is if their customer service is any good. Crosman has excellent customer service and readily available parts to boot. But I'm biased since that's all I own. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

I have the new .25 Crosman barrel and I have to point out that it looks horrible. I can see machining marks looking down the bore and the choke is very tight. I was going to order a TJ's and I thought that I might as well try it before pitching it. Surprise surprise, it is accurate enough that I couldn't justify replacing it. It shoots 34gr JSB MkII @875fps out to my target at 120 yards as straight as an arrow with zero spiraling. You just never know until you try it. I've only shot paper at 53 yards and I can hide the groups under a nickel. Maybe I got lucky, but you could too.