Does this math really work for airguns seeing as they don't follow the same trajectory as a firearm ? for instance, you cant exactly zero an airgun to this standard. on the element scopes for instance they are 1/4 minute turrets but you cant move 1MOA at 100 yards in 4 clicks.

This is the trajectory that I am using for my 50 yard test and my Hawke 4-16 x 44 mm scope has a Mil reticle. Current POI set for 25 yards.

FTT 50 yard.1624058226.PNG

Does this math really work for airguns seeing as they don't follow the same trajectory as a firearm ? for instance, you cant exactly zero an airgun to this standard. on the element scopes for instance they are 1/4 minute turrets but you cant move 1MOA at 100 yards in 4 clicks.

Sounds like an issue with your scope? That's exactly what it should do is move 1 MOA at 100yds in 4 clicks. Doesn't matter the gun or projectile. As long as the guns accurate and shoots to the same point then you should see it on paper. I sighted in my Athlon Ares ETR UHD on my Taipans veteran at 50yds. Took one shot and I was dead on elevation but 1.3 Mil to the right based on my reticle. Dialed 13 clicks and was dead on. If your scope doesn't then there could be an issue with it. But even without shooting the gun and just holding it still after shooting verifying through the reticle, you should be able to watch your reticle move and see if it's tracking correctly.

Question on MRAD scope reticle. If I want to move the POI 4.5" at 50 yards this will be 2.5 MRADs? I know that an actual test is needed but just seeing if my math is correct before I have a chance to shoot at 50 yards. Thanks

That really is the hard way to do it. 

Dairyboy described the much easier way, simply "measure" with your scope reticle and then adjust the turrets that much. 

For me, mrad scopes make much more sense than moa scopes. The 1/10th concept just jives better with my thought process than 1/4 or 1/8. The problem I run into is that, for example, I want 8 moa of vertical for a long shot. That 8 moa is not on the 8 mark on the turret, but actually on the 6 and a half mark (6.4 or 64 clicks). Cuz 8x8 is 64. That's with an 1/8 moa per click scope. 8 mils of adjustment on a mil scope means you stop on the 8 (80clicks) Much nicer math and less room for an error made in a haste to get a quick shot off, or just an absentminded error. 

The same "measuring" with reticle and then adjusting turrets can be used for moa scopes too. Just gotta have a scope that has matching reticles and turret adjustments (mil reticle and moa turrets is just an exercise in frustration). The other thing to note is that some second focal plane scope reticles are only true mil at certain magnifcation/power. 

Doing it by how many inches you want to move means you gotta walk out to your target, measure how far off you are, calculate how many clicks that measured adjustment is worth, and then make the turret adjustments. 

What the saying? 100 yards with an airgun is like 1,000 yards with a rifle. I think with the improvements we've seen in the past 5 years that isn't true any longer. Maybe 100 yards airgun = 500 yards rifle. 

I don't at all understand the comment about how an airgun will not be 4 click for 1 MOA but a rifle will. Utter nonsense. At the end of the day a projectile being fired from a barrel will follow a parabolic arc which conforms with the force of gravity regardless of how fast or slow, no matter what its shape and no matter what the force propelling it is. 

And a MOA scope with 1/4 clicks will be 4 clicks per MOA no matter how you use it and at whatever range. 

Sorry about all the confusion as my original post was not very clear. I was checking the amount of holdover using my MIL/MRAD scope reticle which I have zeroed at 25 yards for use at 50 yards with NO dialing. The 2.5 mil mark from zero on my scope would = 4.5" at 50 yards and this is the amount of holdover needed for the 50 yard POA. Thanks for all of the help and Happy Father Day to all.