• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Moving from scoped to open sights

Hi Everyone,
I purchased a new HW95L Field Pro from AoA last year, and had them install a Vortek kit in it. It's a super nice rifle, and the scope is actually very good. I was surprised! Anyway, I have this illness called Ramsay-Hunt Syndrome which resulted in the paralysis of the right side of my face. So, I can't blink my right eye much, the tear ducts are plugged to keep the eye flooded so that I don't lose it, etc. etc.

I'm right handed and right eye dominant. I simply can't get comfortable with using a scope. I have always shot with both eyes open (early training) and with the scope, it's causing me a lot of discomfort and even dizziness. I thought my 14 year old daughter and I would shoot together but the HW95 is too heavy for her and she's intimidated by the whole act of cocking the rifle. So, I'm considering selling/trading the HW95 for something like a FWB300 with peeps or a FAS6004 Target.

Not long ago, I purchased a Mrodair Targetmaster and it has been a fun little gun to shoot. It's more of a plinker gun, and it has whetted my appetite for a better target pistol.

I do not want to deal with the Yellow Forum, and I don't want to get ripped off. Do any of you have any suggestions? My rifle has less than one tin of pellets through it, has been stored in a case, I have the original paperwork and the original box. I think that I have about $670 in it in total. What's your suggestions? And no, no one around my area shoots serious pellet guns that I can find. No clubs, etc. BTW, I do most of my shooting in my garage at about 26 feet.

Thanks in advance.

Chris R.

You might try an ad on craigslist and do a face to face deal. Other than that, if you don't want to deal with the Yellow forum, look for an airgun show near you. Rather than buy a table, just carry your gun around the show with you and see if anyone's interested. I have sold a few guns on the yellow and bought a few as well, never had any problems. I also think AOA will take it as a trade-in on a different gun from them.
You might look at an R7/hw30s, they're lighter and easier to cock than the R9 and the 30s has open sights. Another option would be the Daisy Avanti single stroke pneumatic 753. It has a Walther barrel and is used by many ROTC shooting clubs. The single stroke pneumatics shoot like a PCP with virtually no recoil and are pretty quiet.

Hi JohnL57,

Thanks for the advice. I'll do a search for local airgun shows, though I've never heard of one close to my area of SW Virginia. I'll keep my eyes peeled. I will have to see how to register on the Yellow Forum to see how to sell items. It seems like a lot running around. I emailed AoA, and we'll see what they say. I've sold a bunch of stuff over the years on Craigslist, but I never see much there for air guns other than the little BB guns. ;0)

Thanks,
Chris