• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Mouse infestation at my new house and bb guns

Some will, some won't. Ours, back in the 1960's was a serious hunter but wouldn't waste time on anything smaller than a rabbit, wouldn't even look at squirrels sideways. When she decided it was time to go hunting, she would get out of her collar somehow, she was chained to a run when let outside in the back yard, no fence would hold her when she wanted to go hunting. , She would dig under the metal fence buried 6+ inches in less than a minute to go hunt the woods. Until she passed when I was 9, I can remember probably a dozen trips to the vet for stitches, and 5 or 6 badgers she succesfully brought home.

That's interesting. I doubt my (mini) daschund would attempt to go after a badger, but we don't have any around here so I doubt I'll find out. We have raccoons though. Curious to see what he does when face to face with a raccoon.

I do know he goes after chickens, rabbits, rats and likely mice. I've almost convinced him to not go after my chickens. Most days he's quite good. Rabbits and rats are automatic. I suspect he goes after mice but he's never brought me a corpse so I can't be sure.

P5130012.JPG

That's interesting. I doubt my (mini) daschund would attempt to go after a badger, but we don't have any around here so I doubt I'll find out. We have raccoons though. Curious to see what he does when face to face with a raccoon.

I do know he goes after chickens, rabbits, rats and likely mice. I've almost convinced him to not go after my chickens. Most days he's quite good. Rabbits and rats are automatic. I suspect he goes after mice but he's never brought me a corpse so I can't be sure.

View attachment 467711
They were originally bred just for hunting badgers, it's in their blood. A lot of dog breeds have had the wild bred out of them in the last 50-100 years, you should see an original St. Bernard, they could be an extreme handful and aggressive, still some essentially the same as they were 100 years ago bred in europe. I met a few on family vacation all summer in europe in 72. Our dachsund tolerated me, used me when she wanted a tug of war, other wise I was non-existent in her world. My older sisters were pretty much non-existent in her world. Talk back to either parents, and she was between you, and you knew she meant business. I got stitches once pushing it. I didn't hold it against her, she warned me enough. I was yelling at mom and mom and dad were her pack, the kids came along later and were tolerated and left alone.

They were originally bred just for hunting badgers, it's in their blood. A lot of dog breeds have had the wild bred out of them in the last 50-100 years, you should see an original St. Bernard, they could be an extreme handful and aggressive, still some essentially the same as they were 100 years ago bred in europe. I met a few on family vacation all summer in europe in 72. Our dachsund tolerated me, used me when she wanted a tug of war, other wise I was non-existent in her world. My older sisters were pretty much non-existent in her world. Talk back to either parents, and she was between you, and you knew she meant business. I got stitches once pushing it. I didn't hold it against her, she warned me enough. I was yelling at mom and mom and dad were her pack, the kids came along later and were tolerated and left alone.

Well, the full-sized ones were bred for hunting badgers. The minis just for smaller game like rabbits and rats.

Yes, my daschund is very protective of me. He sleeps either in my crotch or between my feet, every night. Same with my other dog, but she's an australian shepherd -- too well-insulated to sleep beside me, so she sleeps on the ground below my feet.

This is my first dog pack. When I was a kid my grandparents had lots of dogs, but not us.

I don't think shooting at home is a great idea. The guys are right about getting a professional to deal with the infestation. However, since you know the source, where they are coming from, in addition to calling a professional to deal with the infestation at home, you can probably go to the source and shoot the rats there.

Hopefully, the rats outdoor would be wary about the attrition rate and learn to avoid that area.

All the best!

+1 on the cat. Pick one up from the shelter. I don't have time to shoot that many mice but a cat has nothing better to do, and enjoys it; they just can't help themselves. Feed him/her only in the morning and let it have the run of the house, including closets, drawers and cabinets. Your mouse problem will be gone in 2-3 days. Then feed twice a day.
Meow,
Mike
I've seen rats that are almost as big as cats. There's a documentary about a group of people hunting rats using dogs in NY City. I can't remember what breed it was, but they weren't big dogs. But, obviously, they were trained. It may be worth consulting a pet shop about it.