Mounting pic rail to Wildcat MK 3 BT stock

I thought I would mount a short pic rail to the front of the FX soft touch stock to mount an extended rail under the bottle. The stock is curved at the bottom and somewhat thin. So not designed to mount a rail to. I took a short rail meant to be mounted by M-lock and ground the bottom to fit the curve of the stock and then drilled two holes and used two furniture nuts on the opposite side . The FX synthetic stock material is like a dense styrofoam material and very soft and flexible. I would advise people to not go this route but instead use a bottle mount. Any way here’s my set up which I’m happy with as the fore arm grip touches the bottle and helps to strengthen the forward rail with bipod. At first when I got the rifle I questioned why FX didn’t add some material to the forward end to make it easier to mount a mounting rail but now I know why. Now if they would only make a walnut version.
EFEC50B3-3483-46A8-A4AF-6EA880E0BF05.1649897469.jpeg
F4DA7764-758F-484D-8581-5019BF7524C3.1649897470.jpeg
98326BD5-8153-497A-BB90-C5B60D04DEB2.1649897471.jpeg

Gary, I have seen your past work here and you seem to come up with very nice solutions and wonderful workmanship This is another example. I too noticed the slight curve on my WC MK3 and found the FX designed pic rail made for the Bobcat I believe and fit the curve of the WC perfectly. Fine for BR but I do notice with the extended MK3 stock over the new BT it does have a bit of flex in the front of the stock when mounted on my ARCA tripod. Doable but not ideal. 

Patrick

Good Idea. If it works, it works. Are the Fx stocks hollow? Some epoxy filled inside the stock where the rail is mounted may help stiffening up that area. 

I did something similar with my Reximex Throne G2. It comes with a short rail and I wanted to extend it out further for a grip and a bipod. I fired up Fusion 360 and started molding a new rail that I was going to mill until I remembered I had a scope base riser. Quick and it works but eventually I will machine a one piece rail that fits closer to the bottle when I get some spare spindle time. 

20220414_200324.1650000730.jpg