Mounting one of davelarson Steel Target

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I received one of @davelarson beautiful steel targets and applied several coats of paint to protect it from the elements. Not sure how well that paint job will hold up against many pellets but it looks nice now. I decided to mount it on my Roll Around Target Frame that I use for the 10-meter and the 25 yard shooting range. You can see in the photos that I mounded it as high as I could without interfering with the paper targets. Mounting it up high also makes it easier to shoot through the holes so as to ring the Bell, which is a really cool feature about this target. I also offset it towards the front by 6-inches so that all of the “swinging/spinner” Targets would clear the frame. I do plan on painting all of the wood frame when it gets a bit warmer to make the entire rig look better.

Be safe and have a great day,
ThomasT

D-Larson 500.1648739477.jpg
D-Larson 501.1648739477.jpg
D-Larson 502A.1648739478.jpg
D-Larson 503.1648739478.jpg

VERY NICE I GOT ONE ALSO. GOTTA PAINT IT FIRST BEFORE I GET IT OUT IN THE ELRMENTS IM SURE IT WILL BE A BLAST TO SHOT AT 48 DEGREES FRIDAY SO MIGHT GET IT PRIMED IF IM UP TO IT THEN SPRAY IT WHITE AND SAFETY ORANGE TO REALLY SEE IT

Hello douger,

Yep need a good coat of paint so you can shoot it to pieces, see attached photo, my fresh paint job didn't last very long. But that is a fun target to shoot at.

ThomasT

Wheels and frame are an excellent idea. Thanks for sharing that.

Now you can great it out of the way when mowing or just to see a less cluttered view.

Enjoy your new toy.

Hello biohazardman,

Actually I keep it in my shop when not in use and it just keeps all the weather elements from doing any harm. I roll it out to a mark on my drive at 10-meters or out to my first fence which is 25-yards.

ThomasT

Nice Thomas.

How about some duct seal behind the target to pro text your wood.

A small (not too deep) box like an correspondence box with a layer of duct seal.

I put mine on wheels too:

71F14C42-A0E1-4081-AA02-B747CD49C975.1648749772.jpeg

BTW The smallest spinner is .118”

The smallest hole for the bell is .228”

Dave says he shoots his at 40 yards and is planning heavier targets for larger calibers..

Nice Thomas.

How about some duct seal behind the target to pro text your wood.

A small (not too deep) box like an correspondence box with a layer of duct seal.

I put mine on wheels too:

71F14C42-A0E1-4081-AA02-B747CD49C975.1648749772.jpeg

BTW The smallest spinner is .118”

The smallest hole for the bell is .228”

Dave says he shoots his at 40 yards and is planning heavier targets for larger calibers..

Hello PeeWeeDaddy,

Neat looking wheel setup there.

I don't know what duct seal is, but I will look it up. Man, I have shot at least 25 times at that small hole and NO ring. Hit the first two holes on one shot each, but that little one keeps moving on me...that is my story and I'm sticking to it :)

I think Dave is talking about shooting through the big square opening at 40-yards :)

ThomasT

Duct seal is that stuff that looks like plastic explosives.

It is used to seal electrical ducts.

We use in our pellet traps to catch the pellets without noise.

It stole by the pound.

In the electric isle at Home Depot and others:

3B43D183-ACB2-4E9B-BA9B-DBB0FE7CD6D9.1648757847.jpeg

Hello PeeWeeDaddy,

Yes I googled it and read up on it. I guess about 3/16 to 1/4 inch thick would do the trick. I will buy some and try it out. Thank you for the idea.

I went back outside and shot over 100 rounds more at both a paper target and at that dog-gone little hole and NO ring. The cross hairs in my scope actually cover the hole so I really cannot see it, there is no paint left around that hole now. That target is a lot of fun to shoot at.

ThomasT

Great shooting, I couldn't see it let alone hit it. lol

Hello Fastfred,

I have shot a bunch of lead at that little hole so far and came really close several times because a portion of the pellet entered the hole but not enough to give the loud ring, however it is fun.

I just received today my new Diana Stormrider in .177 and I installed a 4-16x40 scope so that little hole will look a whole lot bigger and I plan on giving it a good workover :)

ThomasT

Wow just received my DL Steel Target :)

It's all the Rage! 

Thanks ThomasT for sharing!

Eric

Hello Eric,

You are more than welcome. I just came in from shooting almost 200 rounds and some of those went right at @davelarson Target. Hope you have at much fun with his target as I am having. 

I decided to try five different Pellets through the Gamo Fusion, it is so windy I did not expect any great results but just for the fun of it. I shot the center first using Crossman Premier 10.5, then moved up to the top left with Winchester ( no weight on the can ), moved over to top right with H & N Baracuda 10.65, next down to the bottom right with H & N Baracuda Hunter Extreme 9.57 and finally bottom left with H & N Baracuda Power 10.65. The wind was 20 to 35 from all directions so not too bad overall. The rest of my shots were with the H & N Power and H & N Baracuda 10.65 shooting at Daves's target and the new 9-shot Spinner that I just added. I still have not rang the Bell through the small hole:( 

ThomasT

Fusion 04-08-22a.1649446180.jpg

Nice shooting for a windy day with a springer. My go to Pellet for all my .177 Rifles is the JSB 10.34. Give it a try if you can.

Edit:

I am going to ask Dave if he has any more Target Designs in the works.

Hello Eric,

Which one of the 10.34? I looked and they have several, Diabolo, Match, Heavy all in 10.34.

Thanks,

ThomasT

Hello everyone,

Eureka....I finally rang the bell on @davelarson Metal Traget in that smallest hole. In fact I rang it two times in a row and I was shooting my Diana Chaser ( modified with all the Buck - Rail accessories ).

I took the big Athlon scope off my Diana Stormrider and have a new Hawke 4-12x40 that I was going to mount today but the medium height rings are to low. The Objective end hits the barrel band so I had to order a set of high rings.

None the less Mr. Dave, i am enjoying your target and now have that Monkey off my back :)

ThomasT

Diana ChaserBuck Rail-3.1649708817.jpg

Way to go ThomasT! The little hole is tough, I call it the swearing hole lol. I’m coming up with another idea for a mini shooting gallery target, the same six spinners and bell target, but with additional things to shoot. Bigrague came up with the idea of card holders so you can cut cards, and I thought of a few other things to shoot. I’m trying to make these as inexpensive as possible so everyone can have one that wants one. I already have the machine that cuts the steel for my metal art, and if I can cover the cost of the steel and a little for my time then I’ll be able to have them available for members.

Edit: I contacted Michael about this and since it’s not about profit I got the ok. 
The big problem is that steel keeps going up in price, believe it or not a 5x10 sheet of 1/4 inch plate is $1018.99 lol! Insane. 
AE936C00-9B48-4888-B085-5F533258EEDB.1649766054.jpeg