Mounting a sling on the standard Hatsan 125...

Hi everyone,
I'd like to know, what is the best way to mount a sling on a standard 125. The sketch portrays how I imagined to do it, or do you folks think there's a better way to do it? Note, that the standard 125 version does not have integrated sling swivels/mounts on the stock, like the Sniper and the Dominator variants have. The Sniper variant has a loop in the forend of the stock, which also acts as an end-pin for the stock's SAS system through which the screws stick it to the receiver.

I've got a couple of NATO barrel mounts to which I'm planning to add a QD mount with a loop for the sling. As for the sling; I'm going to lead it all the way to the grip portion of the stock and just wrap it around and between the cheekrest and the bow, I think it should do it. I've done the same thing on my Gamo Black Bear with the exception of the sling mount on the barrel, for which I've used a sawn-off flashlight clamp mount... more on that some other time. Now, I fear that the barrel clamp mount will slide and spin around the barrel, what would be a good idea to mitigate this? Perhaps with sandpaper?; if so, I reckon it must not be too rough, otherwise it might wear off the finish on the barrel.

This is the barrel-rail mount, that I've got:

...And this is the QD mount that I'm planning to order.

So, what do you guys think about this?
1688905692172.png

I'll appreciate just about any comment, advice or critique on my way of thinking. Thanks!

Reactions: Sqwirl57
I can't answer your question but just wanted to acknowledge the effort put into drawing the gun. You went above and beyond there.

Edit: Actually I may have a solution. Measure your barrels outer diameter. A clamp on sling swivel similar to the HW35E may work well. Then you can either screw a rear swivel into the butt or just tie off. Personally I'd probably just loop it like your picture. Swivels get in my way when bench shooting.

I can't answer your question but just wanted to acknowledge the effort put into drawing the gun. You went above and beyond there.

Edit: Actually I may have a solution. Measure your barrels outer diameter. A clamp on sling swivel similar to the HW35E may work well. Then you can either screw a rear swivel into the butt or just tie off. Personally I'd probably just loop it like your picture. Swivels get in my way when bench shooting.
The whole drawing was done in 10 minutes maybe, straight away from my head, but still thank you for your kind words!
I think I got it though, I'll put a thin piece of rough, flexible plastic tubing around the barrel and clamp it together with the barrel mount and then I'll mount a QD attachment to it and call it a day... I'll let you know how it turned out and whether it worked at all, because I've already ordered a QD earlier. So yeah, I guess it'll look somewhat close to what that HW has, in the end. As for the rear stock swivel, I'm going to just wrap the sling around the bow and that'll be it. I'm going to be using a UTG sling, I kind of like this one:

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
An idea to consider-

I faced the same problem adding a sling to my Air Venturi M1A. The M1A is an underlever springer and your 125 is a break barrel, but the idea is the same. I drilled and mounted an Uncle Mike's QD sling swivel stud in the usual spot on the rear underside of the buttstock. For the front I drilled and mounted a shorter stud on the side of the forend at a downward angle. I put a few drops of epoxy in each hole then screwed them both in. Added an Allen sling with QD swivels and it's a rock solid setup. With the front stud on the left side, the rifle slings very comfortably over my right shoulder muzzle up. The Uncle Mike's studs will work with both wood and synthetic stocks.

M1A-2 2.JPG

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

An idea to consider-

I faced the same problem adding a sling to my Air Venturi M1A. The M1A is an underlever springer and your 125 is a break barrel, but the idea is the same. I drilled and mounted an Uncle Mike's QD sling swivel stud in the usual spot on the rear underside of the buttstock. For the front I drilled and mounted a shorter stud on the side of the forend at a downward angle. I put a few drops of epoxy in each hole then screwed them both in. Added an Allen sling with QD swivels and it's a rock solid setup. With the front stud on the left side, the rifle slings very comfortably over my right shoulder muzzle up. The Uncle Mike's studs will work with both wood and synthetic stocks.

View attachment 371303

View attachment 371304

View attachment 371305
Well, there's another project for me🤩

An idea to consider-

View attachment 371303

View attachment 371304

View attachment 371305
You're not going to believe this, but I was just watching some review of a modern LRB M1A on YouTube, and then proceeded to check my inbox to see this... Some synchronicity this was ⏳ Anyway, I love your setup, thank you for sharing this with us here! I've seen these M14sfrom AirVenturi here a while ago, but yours is something else, so cool, kind of like a blend of traditional and modern shooting gear on it; As I've already stated, I absolutely love this!

Years ago, I've also seen a similar concept of an underlever being "dressed up" as a historical standard issue rifle, but from Diana. It was an underlever, kind of like yours, but in disguise of a Mauser 98' Kurz. What especially really like about this piece of yours is what looks like an actual raised M1A scope mount. As far as I can tell, it should hold zero pretty well, given the fact, that it is held in place by two larger bolts - M5 or M8 bolts perhaps? I can't really tell, but it seems rock solid. The cheek-riser is also a nice touch.

Now, about the swivels, I don't feel comfortable with this notion of mounting swivels on my Hatsan, because it's got a pretty hollowed-out front end of the stock, it feels a little brittle there. Sure, I'd work just fine on a 135 with a wooden stock, but the 125's standard stock is kind of cheap and I really wouldn't go drilling into it, because I have a felling that even if I'd super glue the swivels into it, they'd somehow fly off at some point. Besides, I've already ordered a QD weaver mount to mount it directly on the barrel, this way no drilling will be required at all :)

And of course, as @Sqwirlfugger57 already stated in this comment section, the rear swivel would probably also get in my way when I'd rest the gun on the bag to shoot it from the table, so that's a no go for me. But I really like your setup and appreciate the effort you've put into this M1A underlever.

You're not going to believe this, but I was just watching some review of a modern LRB M1A on YouTube, and then proceeded to check my inbox to see this... Some synchronicity this was ⏳ Anyway, I love your setup, thank you for sharing this with us here! I've seen these M14sfrom AirVenturi here a while ago, but yours is something else, so cool, kind of like a blend of traditional and modern shooting gear on it; As I've already stated, I absolutely love this!

Years ago, I've also seen a similar concept of an underlever being "dressed up" as a historical standard issue rifle, but from Diana. It was an underlever, kind of like yours, but in disguise of a Mauser 98' Kurz. What especially really like about this piece of yours is what looks like an actual raised M1A scope mount. As far as I can tell, it should hold zero pretty well, given the fact, that it is held in place by two larger bolts - M5 or M8 bolts perhaps? I can't really tell, but it seems rock solid. The cheek-riser is also a nice touch.

Now, about the swivels, I don't feel comfortable with this notion of mounting swivels on my Hatsan, because it's got a pretty hollowed-out front end of the stock, it feels a little brittle there. Sure, I'd work just fine on a 135 with a wooden stock, but the 125's standard stock is kind of cheap and I really wouldn't go drilling into it, because I have a felling that even if I'd super glue the swivels into it, they'd somehow fly off at some point. Besides, I've already ordered a QD weaver mount to mount it directly on the barrel, this way no drilling will be required at all :)

And of course, as @Sqwirlfugger57 already stated in this comment section, the rear swivel would probably also get in my way when I'd rest the gun on the bag to shoot it from the table, so that's a no go for me. But I really like your setup and appreciate the effort you've put into this M1A underlever.

Yeah, if there's a possibility of the stock being brittle, your plan sounds like the better one. Nothing like a failed sling mount and a dropped gun to ruin one's day. I've seen that underlever Diana Mauser 98K. I don't think they make it anymore, but they do make a PCP version of the 98K. Nice looking rifle.

The Venturi M1A is a bit on the rough side out of the box, but after some polishing, de-burring, and a Tru-Oil finish on the wood, it's turned out to be a nice shooter with decent accuracy. The scope mount came with the gun. Funny you mention the mounting screws. It came with two huge steel knurled mounting screws that just added weight and bulk to an already heavy gun, so I replaced them with hex head screws of the same thread pitch I bought at the hardware store. Can't remember the specifics on the replacement bolts.

You can't see it in the photo, but there's also a steel dovetail block on the receiver that mates with a dovetail on the underside of the mount. Two bolts and the dovetail make for a nice solid setup. Topped it off with the 3x9 Bug Buster. Sits a bit high though, so I added the cheek riser.

Reactions: Triglav
Yeah, if there's a possibility of the stock being brittle, your plan sounds like the better one. Nothing like a failed sling mount and a dropped gun to ruin one's day. I've seen that underlever Diana Mauser 98K. I don't think they make it anymore, but they do make a PCP version of the 98K. Nice looking rifle.

The Venturi M1A is a bit on the rough side out of the box, but after some polishing, de-burring, and a Tru-Oil finish on the wood, it's turned out to be a nice shooter with decent accuracy. The scope mount came with the gun. Funny you mention the mounting screws. It came with two huge steel knurled mounting screws that just added weight and bulk to an already heavy gun, so I replaced them with hex head screws of the same thread pitch I bought at the hardware store. Can't remember the specifics on the replacement bolts.

You can't see it in the photo, but there's also a steel dovetail block on the receiver that mates with a dovetail on the underside of the mount. Two bolts and the dovetail make for a nice solid setup. Topped it off with the 3x9 Bug Buster. Sits a bit high though, so I added the cheek riser.
Bug Busters are good scopes, yup. And while I'm at it, I could see that you've added the cheekriser for that reason, but in all honesty a leather one would look a lot better, but this black (nylon?) one works nicely too and is certainly mor comfortable. As for those mounts, well yeah, they were bulky from the start, when they started issuing them for the Gulf war... at least I think they came around the time of that war, but could have gotten there earlier, by the end of the Nam war.

Too bad they discontinued the 98K in spring version. Anyway, I'm still running a UTG 4x32 on my 125 and I love it, now that it has settled in, at first a friend of mine who's given me that scope, has been having issues with it, with the reticle flickering in and out of existance within the erector tube, but now it just works fine, without a shadow of a doubt, it retains zero I mean. I guess the 125's fierce tiger of a recoil beat the lens back into place, who would've known, eh?

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

UPDATE:
I finally got the pieces together and mounted the sling on my mod. 125. It all went according to plan, with the exception of the front weaver barrel clamp mount wobbling around. I had to use a little bit of plastic - a cut plastic tube to be exact, in order to shim the mount and fixate the damn thing in place, but all in all it all worked out as I have imagined. I used an UTG sling with a large loop and a QD mount to attach the sling to the gun and loop it around the stock... As I've just stated, as I've imagined :)
See for yourselves:
125_sling.png

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1