Mounting a scope without marking it up?

Hey hay, I won a ridiculously nice scope at RMAC, in the raffle. Any tips or tricks to temp mounting a scope without marking it? I’d love to experience it mounted, before trying to decide whether I can justify keeping it. Short of just a wrap of wide teflon tape, any better ideas? Thanks for any suggestions.
1) If it’s a pcp use Burris signature rings.

2) if it’s a springer, wrap a loop of .005” shim plastic or brass shim stock before setting it in the rings. I don’t have as much testing on this method but its working well so far.

Reactions: Scotty1
1) If it’s a pcp use Burris signature rings.

2) if it’s a springer, wrap a loop of .005” shim plastic or brass shim stock before setting it in the rings. I don’t have as much testing on this method but its working well so far.

I also use Burris Signature rings. Zee rings on PCP guns when I want to keep the bulk down or there isn't room for the Signature XTR rings.

Signature XTR rings for 34mm tubes, bigger guns or with big scopes. The only time they have left a mark was on an inexpensive scope that had a very soft matt anodizing that would scratch with just your fingernail.

On springers, if you dust the inserts with rosin it will usually keep the scope from sliding in the Zee rings. If you have room for the XTR rings, you probably won't need the rosin as the inserts are about an inch long and there are 6 screws per ring top, but that is an option if you do need it.

Reactions: dgeesaman
I fabricated a wooden apparatus that looks like a ring base and lined the bottom half "ring base" with leather. Then I attached that apparatus to an old Ruger 10/22 stock. Now I can place the scope in my pseudo rifle to see if I like the scope or not. Nothing gets clamped down, but I can get a pretty good idea if I like the scope or not. I'll post a pic so you can see it.

IMG_9054.JPG

IMG_9055.JPG

IMG_9056.JPG

I have a variety of rubber bands to hold the scope down so it can't accidentally fall off.

I take black electric tape and use it on the rings (sticky side toward the ring). Next, be particular about torquing the rings...........usually 15 inch pounds works. This will give you a good fit without biffing up the scope. This has always worked well for me. PS, what scope did you win?
Razor iii 6x36x56 mil