• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Motion sensor for hunting at night

I have raccoons, skunks, groundhogs other critters that wreak havoc in my yard at night. I've got a ATN X-Sight-4k Pro 5-20x scope that can help me get the job done on my FX Impact M3, but I can never seem to be in the right place at the right time to keep my yard pest free.

I'm looking for some sort of a hunting motion sensor system that would allow me to setup one or more sensors in various places in my yard that would transmit a signal to a receiver that I would either carry on me or have nearby.

Any suggestions?

I use driveway sensors to notify me in the house at night when a raccoon is raiding the bird feeder. They work great for the purpose.

https://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html

Or you can find kits on Amazon with multiple sensors paired to one receiver if that fits your needs better.

The receiver has both a flashing light and an audible. On one of mine I added a switch for disabling the sound if needed to be discreet. 

If your critters are skittish, use a soft persistent source of light. I agree most suburban animals will acclimate to a light that switches on but some will bolt when a light comes on, or at the very least will be more wary and tend to move around, making it harder to get a clean shot.

I too recommend the Harbor freight motion sensors. 
I’m just shooting rats and mice so I make this little housing. I also zero my gun from my shooting position to the bait pile. I literally shoot from inside my house out into the yard. 
292EDC2A-0646-4DBA-BD6B-B9E0CD19D1FF.1628052535.jpeg

The alarm wakes me at night and I jump up and see what’s out there.
And just last Sunday morning. I got the little one at 12:30am and the bigger one at 4am

BFBB9FD9-F11F-423E-AD50-122092829749.1628052795.jpeg

If you have wi fi, and a phone, hook up a cam. Like wyze. That way when your alarm goes off you can look at your phone instead of running out there to a false alarm. Oh don't use the color but the night vision, that way the ir light will light the area enough to where you may not need the ir light on the atn on.

Wyze Cam v3 with Color Night Vision, Wired 1080p HD Indoor/Outdoor Video Camera, 2-Way Audio, Works with Alexa, Google Assistant, and IFTTT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R59YH7W/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_QYV1X6XW4SMEV8WSBXMX

red or green or dim white light, doesn't matter ... they get accustomed to it BEING THE SAME ALWAYS. Just need enough light to see the crosshairs.

The doorbell camera sends alerts to your cell phone, take a 10 second video automatically to let you know what came when you were dead asleep and you can select to TAKE VIDEO. 

YOU NEED:
wifi signal to the camera
a light source
three 18650 rechargeable lithium batteries (they last three days)

DEADLY SETUP with a bait station for rats!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Doorbell-Real-Time-Wireless-Security-Rechargeable/dp/B092DMX2LF/ref=sr_1_50?dchild=1&keywords=doorbell+camera&qid=1628082081&sr=8-50

Here's a rat victim. 

https://youtu.be/Vz2HboQ-tU8

The best way to get 18650 batteries is to buy a LED flashlight that comes with them and a charger.

Will these driveway alarms be triggered by a squirrel that's 30ft. or so away? how sensitive are they? If I jack up the sensitivity, will falling leaves trigger them?

One thing to keep in mind is the height at which you set the xmitter. Too high and there will be a "tunnel" that they can walk through where they won't be picked up. Too low, reduces the tunnel and range. Tipping the top to the rear a little will increase the range, but will also create a larger tunnel, also. Tipping forward shortens the range, but closes the tunnel. Finding the magic spot for general coverage will take some time. Unless of course you are going to use a bait station, then just placing it aiming down on top of it will work without all the experimentation. The paperwork that comes with the harbor fright system, and most IR operated devices, usually shows diagrams of areas of coverage and how to place them.

I built some PIR sensors with radios, a repeater, and base for output at my desk. Ran it for few months last year. Radios are nRF24 modules that operate on the 2.4GHz ISM band, with tree topology to the repeater and then base. Controllers are off-the-shelf Arduino boards, but did have some boards made up in China for cheap. Nerdy nerd, yep.

Nothing is as dangerous as an engineer!