• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Mother of All Data Breaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airgun Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 24, 2020
Colorado, United States

26 Billion Records Leaked, Users of LinkedIn, X, Venmo And More Panic Over Increased Cybercrime Risk​

Link to article

1706630833646.png

If you use a computer, your data likely got leaked in what researchers have called the mother of all data breaches.

Twenty brands have had over 100 billion leaked records, with the largest being Tencent's 1.5 billion. Brands more familiar to Western consumers such as LinkedIn, X, Venmo, Canva, Apollo and Adobe have also been hit. Cybernews Head of Security Research Mantas Sasnauskas summed up the scale of the shocking breach, saying "Probably the majority of the population have been affected."

"The dataset is extremely dangerous as threat actors could leverage the aggregated data for a wide range of attacks," the researchers told the New York Post. It should be noted that usernames and passwords were included in the leak.

This can be especially dangerous for those who use the same password across different accounts. If a hacker knows an email and password combination on Netflix, for example, they might logically start with that combination in an attempt to gain access to more sensitive data, such as getting access to e-mail and banking accounts.

This particularly dangerous attack is called credential stuffing, where a hacked individual can have their accounts compromised across multiple services in just a few moments, leaving behind a much more devastating trail of destruction.

What would anyone even do with $26 billion dollars worth of stolen data records? According to Sasnauskas, the dataset may have been created in an attempt to build a criminal marketplace for sensitive information. Perhaps for broader distribution on the dark web, where malicious actors can buy the leaked data to prospect potential victims for their cybercrimes.

Kind of ironic as this News came from Yahoo (who is notorious for data breaches).​

In regards to the Airgun Nation forum - We don't want to give the Scammers any reason to visit, re-visit, or target anyone on Airgun Nation. The typical Scammer either targets WTB ads, or takes over a vetted members account whose email has been compromised by a shared username & password.

Here's a few tips to help keep you, your friends, and fellow AGN members safe:
  • Always use a strong password. If your password isn't strong, please strengthening it
  • Consider using 2FA (two-factor authentication). We suggest a 2FA app like Google Authenticator (2FA via email doesn't work well as many ISP's block websites that include the word "gun"). Our 2FA is configured to ask for device authentication once every 30 days, and it works really well.
  • Always research every buyer/seller before engaging in any transaction
  • Never use the same password across different accounts
  • Report any suspicious accounts immediately by going to the members profile and clicking the Report button
1706633276695.png

Somehow, criminals that hide behind a screen, have me infuriated, where as conventional thieves ASO some times pull stuff off where i just have to put my hat on and tip it.

I had sort of the same feeling in my first apprenticeship, which was with a government entity ( the Danish Railroads AKA DSB )
Now i was a punk back then, and a thief too if it struck me, but working there it was clear that if they did not have their hands deep in the Danish tax chest, that company would have gone under before i was born in the mid 60ties.
And as government are mostly not accountable for what it do, well its like hiding behind a screen and doing your crime there.

Reactions: HKVP9
And just what does this directly have to do with Air Guns ?
I'll copy & paste it again for you...

In regards to the Airgun Nation forum - We don't want to give the Scammers any reason to visit, re-visit, or target anyone on Airgun Nation. The typical Scammer either targets WTB ads, or takes over a vetted members account whose email has been compromised by a shared username & password.

Here's a few tips to help keep you, your friends, and fellow AGN members safe:
  • Always use a strong password. If your password isn't strong, please strengthening it
  • Consider using 2FA (two-factor authentication). We suggest a 2FA app like Google Authenticator (2FA via email doesn't work well as many ISP's block websites that include the word "gun"). Our 2FA is configured to ask for device authentication once every 30 days, and it works really well.
  • Always research every buyer/seller before engaging in any transaction
  • Never use the same password across different accounts
  • Report any suspicious accounts immediately by going to the members profile and clicking the Report button

Glad I don't use any of those 3 sites, whatsoever. Bullet dodged!

Don't think you've dodged the bullet - just make sure your opsec is up to par. This breech is just what you know of because it was a major breech. They're exploiting smaller sites with less security daily. It's been going on for over a decade, but it's never too late to learn that you need to keep your guard up, on EVERY site you visit.

And yep, no PP, no Venmo, none of that for me.

Bitcoin is king

Last edited:
Don't think you've dodged the bullet - just make sure your opsec is up to par. This breech is just what you know of because it was a major breech. They're exploiting smaller sites with less security daily. It's been going on for over a decade, but it's never too late to learn that you need to keep your guard up, on EVERY site you visit.

Bitcoin is king

I 100% dodged a bullet, and I have security in place that will inform me of any data breeches I am exposed to to which I can change passwords... no need to pick a fight in this thread that is covering member safety...

-Matt

If you were exposed to this breach, and use the same password on this site, you may be compromised...it's a simple correlation, if you don't find it pertains to you, move along, to those that it may, kudos to the admins for looking out... Sheesh this crowd is tough.

-Matt

If you were exposed to this breach, and use the same password on this site, you may be compromised...it's a simple correlation, if you don't find it pertains to you, move along, to those that it may, kudos to the admins for looking out... Sheesh this crowd is tough.

-Matt
I meant bingo it's not air gun related but not been removed cause it's not air gun related here...🤧

I 100% dodged a bullet, and I have security in place that will inform me of any data breeches I am exposed to to which I can change passwords... no need to pick a fight in this thread that is covering member safety...

-Matt
Not picking a fight, glad you're safe on that, just reminding people not to relax.

And just what does this directly have to do with Air Guns ?
I suppose it's a good reminder to not use the same password here as we might use somewhere else that leaks? just good to know since I had not heard anything about a data breach.. other than a week ago I saw that equafax credit bureau had a huge breach..I got notified several months ago that my health insurance bought through the government leaked all my information.. and they gave me free credit monitoring for 2 years but then wanted every tiny detail including bank account and credit..i didn't give any of the private details since I don't bank online and figured that it's not such a good idea for a company to have all my information in one place..too convenient for a breach is what I thought.. I think they are trying to keep our accounts safe so we can continue enjoying this forum.
Mark

Bitcoin is king
well I'm not sure about Bitcoin but for me cash is the way to go.. only problem it's loosing value all the time.. prices keep rising and the cola increases just cover a tiny portion of inflation..
myself I don't have or do any online banking..
Mark

Reactions: .20calguy
I meant bingo it's not air gun related but not been removed cause it's not air gun related here...🤧
well at some point it's possible to get air gun related, if you can't access this site.. or worse yet not be able to buy more pellets or the next favorite gun we happen to see..
seems like nothing is safe in the computer age.. I like my smart phone because the computer got to old and hard to work on most sites.. but I honestly miss the good old flip phone days or better yet back when all the phones were black and you actually spun the dial 🤔 after listening to see if the other person was on the party line 🤣😂.. now that's a long time ago. hope you all are getting a little shooting in and enjoying it.. I got several magazines through yesterday and it was so much fun.. it had been too long
Mark

And if you ever lose track of your smart phone…
Perhaps a flip phone for just talk and text is all we need.
The internet and maybe computers may be the best things and worst things EVER invented.

no worries about loosing track of my phone.. I'm sure if I can't find it Google will still be following it around.. but then it might follow me around searching for my hearing aids 🤔😳 as for the flip phone, I think my last flip phone had a sim card. but it's been awhile.. those old dial phones were a lot safer, only the people who were on the party line were listening.. and times were better back than.. left the doors unlocked and I don't even remember using padlocks.. I know that there was no lock on the front gate back then.. now seems like everything has to be locked.

Mark

As an IT expert I can tell you your advice while accurate it just unrealistic for most people, They are not going to keep track of hundreds of different complex passwords that they change on a regular basis. I have a special password app I use with over 300 passwords it's totally insane. Sure have complex passwords for things but if everything is hackable if people try hard enough to get in no matter how difficult you think your password is.

Status
Not open for further replies.