Most used magnification

I see large scopes with large end bells and wonder if such magnification will be used. Since I am considering a 1-10, I was wondering how often I would wish I had a 5-40. Except for bench shooting, where I'm sure there would be some argument, where do the plinkers and varminters generally dial in on their large and heavy beautiful scopes. If you sense some bias already its in fun. 

I see large scopes with large end bells and wonder if such magnification will be used. Since I am considering a 1-10, I was wondering how often I would wish I had a 5-40. Except for bench shooting, where I'm sure there would be some argument, where do the plinkers and varminters generally dial in on their large and heavy beautiful scopes. If you sense some bias already its in fun.

The large objective lens is not indicative of the magnification power of the optic. Large objective lenses gather light better than smaller ones. Typically a low light scope will have a ratio larger than five to one (objective lens diameter in mm/magnification). This is because the "exit pupil" on an optic determines how much light passes out of it and into your eye. Normally at night or in very low light situations you want that ratio to be as large or just a little larger than your dilated pupil (4mm to 8mm). I once owned a 6x56 that was shockingly bright at night. As an aside to all of this, if you want your variable optic to give you better low light performance, turn it down to a lower magnification.

Get yourself a 4x - 12x as a starter. Again as a starter optic, I like UTG/Leapers and have had generally good luck with them.

Shoot what works for you.

What is your target and range that you shoot??

Some guys try to shoot pellets holes on top 0f pellet holes. Some guys shoot soda cans. Some guys shoot mice. Use the right tool for the job.

😂 I shoot mice.
So far 22 yards is the furthest confirmed kills. And even then I sometimes feel 12 power is not enough 😰

A2F4FA63-B097-4AE0-8E2B-746D6C111B2B.1599088923.jpeg

I started shooting airguns with a 2x 7 thinking that would be just fine for back yard plinking. Then moved up to 3x9. Good for backyard plinking. But I needed more power for what I was doing. So my backyard pest control gun is 4x 12. And my “shot as far as I think I’m capable “ gun is 4.5 x 18. 
I do agree. Only you can determine what works best. 

So much to learn. The LPVO are so much smaller in comparison to the higher mag scopes, and this is my reference point. The tiny 1-8 or 1-10 in contrast to heavier, and longer ones with a large end. What I also realize is that not one scope on one rifle will ever be enough for any one really enjoying the sport or hobby. I was just thinking and so the question, that if most of the time plinking we are not using a steady bench rest and therefore not using the higher magnifications on the scopes. If I can keep the need of magnification below say 8 or ten power, then why go for the physically larger scope. As I see some are using up to 12 X for close in shooting - maybe 25 yards. But at say 100 yrds are we really in 'need' of going higher than 20X? Or how essential is it to go above 10X?

Im really enjoying the prospect of a small compact package.

revised for clarity

As a pester I've settled on scopes in the 4-16x44 range. I prefer better glass than higher magnification. If the glass in my scope is nice and clear I'm good for 150yds if I needed. Shot many groups at 100yds with only 10x. I have FFP scopes and usually have them set to 10-12x for the majority of the time but will use 16x when needed and 4x for those real close shots.

For sure good,great glass is more important=more light,better "picture,FACT....the better the glass the less magnification I need.

Under 25 yds .7x is good.I use 7x on my rifles and pistols....I like more power when getting past 25yds....The thing is too much power shows too much of my instability and causes my to pause to much....I want to be in a flow when shooting,another reason to spend more for very good glass.

Unless size and weight are issues I would buy a 56mm with as much practical magnification that size lens can handle (from my telescope days that is about 50x per inch of aperture). Personally I can’t get enough magnification and enjoy seeing the pellets hit their target when plinking. Started with a 6-24, then a 4-32, and now a 4.5-42; all with 10 yard parallax. Don’t have to use it but nice have when you want it.

One thing I like to keep in mind is that a scope is usually at its best when it's not set to it's highest power. So I don't buy a 3-9X with the intent to keep it at 9X. It will usually, especially in cheaper scopes, work much better at 7X

That said, for my hunting guns I usually run a 4-12X or 4-16X and keep them at 10X or 12X. It's plenty for me, and still allows for a good field of view and not too "wobbly" for the offhand shots. These have 40-44mm objectives and work with medium rings on my stuff. 

For target work the sky is the limit. The field target guys run the huge scopes because the more magnification, the better the ranging capability is using the parallax wheel. You can shoot FT with a 12X, but it's hard to range. 

@Dairyboy thanks for your reply. I want to find that one and look thru it. I have never been completely satisfied with any of my airgun scopes. I ordered a Hawke for s FT gun. It should be here next week my expectations are low but I hope I am wrong.

Yeah if you can find a Midas Tac to look through I definitely would. They are fantastic scopes incredibly clear and the focus seems to snap in and out of place very very well. This scope has impressed me the most of any scope I've owned. I've owned a SWFA 3-15x42 FFP in the past and think the Athlon is a much better scope. 

I have had scopes that were up to 32x and some that were just 3x. I very rarely (if ever) used the 32x magnification and the lowly 3x scope I had (sightmark crossbow scope) literally blew me away with how clear it was. That being said, what I find myself gravitating towards are scopes that go up to 16x or 18x. The last couple of scopes I got are first focal plane models. For my use, I am not sold on the need for that vs. second focal plane. But I guess that's probably a separate conversation! 

Well, the magnification has to be right for the shooting scenario.... 👍🏼

🔶 I use maximum magnification if the shot is:

▪rested, and

▪not rushed,

unless the shot is under 15y.

[My max. magnifications are 12x, 18x, and 24x on my scopes.] 

🔶 I use much less magnification if the shot is either:

▪not rested, or

▪rushed.

🔶 When stalking a feral pigeon that I can hear, but haven't spotted yet in the tree or the building — 3x magnification...! 😄

Matthias

I have been comparing LPVO Scopes by description, advertising claims and looking through a few at the local gun shops, now for a couple of weeks and am eagerly waiting the Valdada-IOR 1-10 power scope. It was hard to decide between this and the Mark 6 Leopold HD 1-8 even though it has been out for so long. The other struggle was possibly the Valdada-IOR 2-16 which looks amazing. So when I get the 1-10 hopefully today, I will be able to see if I need more magnification. It will be for the Wildcat 3 compact in .177 - which I do not see as a long range instrument.

I really appreciate all the help that I have found here.

John