Other Most underrated design/feature?

In the world of traditional airguns, what do you consider to be the most underrated design or feature that contributes significantly to performance and shooting experience? Whether it's a specific type of barrel rifling, a unique cocking mechanism, or a historical design element, share your thoughts on the hidden gems of traditional airgun design.

Fun fact: Did you know that the Girandoni air rifle, used by the Lewis and Clark expedition in the early 19th century, had a 20-shot capacity and was capable of firing up to 40 rounds per minute? This remarkable air rifle, developed in the late 18th century, showcased the potential of air power long before the widespread adoption of firearms.

Like taken for granted? When you do not have an adjustable trigger, you remember how important they are.:unsure:
Yeah thats kind of what I meant.

I have yet to adjust my trigger but the vendor I purchased my rifle from installed a metal trigger. It felt really clean as it was so I forgot to adjust it. I think it goes all the way down to 1lb or something crazy. I've only ever had 1 air rifle so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Reactions: Bandito
I believe one of the most under rated features is the pistol grip inside radius and reach to the trigger. In the HW line up, the venerable HW55, a 10m target gun, has the grip with the tightest inside radius and shortest reach from the grip to the trigger. I have big hands yet these "tight quarters" feel really comfortable to me. In very close 2nd place are the larger R series gun, like the R1, with a barely noticeably larger inside grip radius and reach to the trigger. The worst offender IMO and in a distant 3rd place is the R7/HW30 which has the largest inside grip radius and furthest reach to the trigger. I find it uncomfortable and wonder why, in a gun that is ideal for youth and others with small hands, is the pistol grip designed like this.

FWIW, I believe the R7/HW30's very open grip and long reach to the trigger for the index finger is what generated so much debate over the R7/HW30 LOP. A tape measure stretched from but to trigger confirms the HW30 LOP is similar to other HW guns, it just feels longer.

I believe one of the most under rated features is the pistol grip inside radius and reach to the trigger. In the HW line up, the venerable HW55, a 10m target gun, has the grip with the tightest inside radius and shortest reach from the grip to the trigger. I have big hands yet these "tight quarters" feel really comfortable to me. In very close 2nd place are the larger R series gun, like the R1, with a barely noticeably larger inside grip radius and reach to the trigger. The worst offender IMO and in a distant 3rd place is the R7/HW30 which has the largest inside grip radius and furthest reach to the trigger. I find it uncomfortable and wonder why, in a gun that is ideal for youth and others with small hands, is the pistol grip designed like this.

FWIW, I believe the R7/HW30's very open grip and long reach to the trigger for the index finger is what generated so much debate over the R7/HW30 LOP. A tape measure stretched from but to trigger confirms the HW30 LOP is similar to other HW guns, it just feels longer.
I have tiny little baby hands, which suck because I'll never be able to daily carry a desert eagle 😂 Joking aside thats my main reason for visiting this forum. I'm in the market for an HW. is the HW55 the only one with that shorter grip radius? I know it's a pretty small gun if not one of the smallest/lightest if I'm remember correctly (maybe im thinking of the HW30*?).

Reactions: MDriskill
I have tiny little baby hands, which suck because I'll never be able to daily carry a desert eagle 😂 Joking aside thats my main reason for visiting this forum. I'm in the market for an HW. is the HW55 the only one with that shorter grip radius? I know it's a pretty small gun if not one of the smallest/lightest if I'm remember correctly (maybe im thinking of the HW30*?).
If you're thinking smallest/lightest you're thinking of the HW30. The HW55 is a long out of production gun and is not small or lightweight. Don't let my comment dissuade you from buying an HW30. There is nothing wrong with the design, I just think they could have done a better job with the pistol grip dimensions. I happen to have two R7's and an HW30 and they are great guns that are as accurate as any HW and a hoot to shoot. Unless power is a criteria, you won't be disappointed with one.

The most underrated design to me is the pumper. The pump up type (Sheridan, Benjamin) to name a couple, have the features of the best of both worlds, Springer and PCP. Accuracy, power, self contained, light weight, and a smooth firing cycle. If the industry went to work to build one of the quality that is in a Weihrauch or Daystate, WOW. The technology is there to do it but for some reason the average air gunner equates the pumper to a youth/economy gun.

I'm a big fan of the old-fashioned rotating loading tap.

It's a compact, sturdy, and simple way to a make fixed-barrel springer. The action is slimmer and lighter than any sliding-breech-sleeve gun, since the piston is surrounded by only one layer of metal. It's the safest springer design ever, too (it's phyically impossible to discharge a pellet or slam the piston from an open tap). You can carry a cocked-and-loaded gun in perfect safety that way.

It does depend on careful workmanship to achieve good accuracy, but these guns can be very accurate indeed - just ask anybody with a classic pre-war BSA underlever or one of its descendants from Diana, Haenel, Webley, BSF, Falke, and others. I'd love to see a current manufacturer take a fresh look at this mechanism (which ain't gonna happen outside of my dreams, but...!).

IMG_1820.jpeg

Last edited:
The most underrated design to me is the pumper. The pump up type (Sheridan, Benjamin) to name a couple, have the features of the best of both worlds, Springer and PCP. Accuracy, power, self contained, light weight, and a smooth firing cycle. If the industry went to work to build one of the quality that is in a Weihrauch or Daystate, WOW. The technology is there to do it but for some reason the average air gunner equates the pumper to a youth/economy gun.
Totally agree - I cut my teeth on a Benjy 347 that has shot great since the 1960's! Yeah, I'm mostly a springer guy these days...but how can you not love a slim, light, recoilless, accurate rifle whose power you can vary?

maybe use a oven baked clay and build up the hand grip area ? use saran wrap to protect the gun and prevent clay from sticking to the gun . remove from the gun and peal the saran wrap off and bake in the oven , something like 250 degrees and one hour ? bingo finger groove grip . glue or double sided tape to the grip area , you only need very little clay , Hobby lobby has it .

Last edited:
The long grip-to-trigger stretch has been a feature of most Weihrauch rifles since forever. Since you asked about the HW 55 (an older target rifle based on the original HW 50; both a bit bigger than the HW 30 / R7)...the standard stocks are indeed a bit different from HW sporters (as r1lover mentioned, it's more the angle than the distance); the 55 Tyro has the closest, most vertical grip.

A couple points to remember:
+ It's a 2-stage trigger of course, so the reach is less at the critical 2nd-stage let-off point.
+ If needed, there are aftermarket set-back blade options out there.

Don't underestimate the adaptability of human anatomy, LOL...my hands are dinky too, and work fine with HW's.

IMG_4847.jpeg

IMG_4846.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the most under rated feature in air guns is the iron sights Front sights . most are too thick and obscure the precise POI . but then on the manufacturing side the sight has to be durable The solution would be blade inserts for open iron sights .

It's a compact, sturdy, and simple way to a make fixed-barrel springer. The action is slimmer and lighter than any sliding-breech-sleeve gun, since the piston is surrounded by only one layer of metal. It's the safest springer design ever, too (it's phyically impossible to discharge a pellet or slam the piston from an open tap). You can carry a cocked-and-loaded gun in perfect safety that way.

It does depend on careful workmanship to achieve good accuracy, but these guns can be very accurate indeed - just ask anybody with a classic pre-war BSA underlever or one of its descendants from Diana, Haenel, Webley, BSF, Falke, and others. I'd love to see a current manufacturer take a fresh look at this mechanism (which ain't gonna happen outside of my dreams, but...!).

View attachment 449906
Agreeing.
It was a huge disappointment for me when this method of loading became Passé ..
It's possible in Irony that BSA caused it.
They had manufactured guns from the 1920s which had perfect aligning taps which had been lapped to perfect alignment. Try a modern high quality pellet in one of these.
However fast forward to the 70s Airsporters and you double the group size.
No lapping. Probably cost cutting, removing the hand lapping excercise, but there must have been a way to automate this process with modern CNC technology.

The other underrated for me, is the upward moving piston design of the LP53.
It allows a much more graceful design having the piston in the grip compared to a huge cylinder behind the barrel, or above the trigger which makes the gun higher in the hand. Not to mention more cumbersome.

If you're thinking smallest/lightest you're thinking of the HW30. The HW55 is a long out of production gun and is not small or lightweight. Don't let my comment dissuade you from buying an HW30. There is nothing wrong with the design, I just think they could have done a better job with the pistol grip dimensions. I happen to have two R7's and an HW30 and they are great guns that are as accurate as any HW and a hoot to shoot. Unless power is a criteria, you won't be disappointed with one.
I've heard good things about all the HW's. I started with a Cometa (and John, the seller, tuned it down for me before shipping it to improve the accuracy) but HW is going to be my next buy. I'm still deciding whether it will be a PCP or a break barrel. Leaning more towards break barrel since I have bigger guns if I need more firepower.

View attachment 449906
that looks so clean. I wasn't aware that was even a thing.

Reactions: Bandito