• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Most successful FT guns

I wonder if anyone has compiled the stats to determine the most successful FT rifles and pistols?
For example how often does an FX M3 win an FT match, or a Steyr or a walther? I’m not interested in popularity or “feelings” of greatness or reputations, but rather, factual stats! Compiled findings from matches all over the world. Certainly some airhead follows this like some people follow baseball stats?

Last edited:
I can think of 5 out of the box rifles that have good reputations.
1. Thomas PCP
2. Steyr 100 and 110 PCP
3.TX200 piston
4. HW97 piston
5. Daystate CRX PCP
I have a heavily modified Anshutz 2002 that is perfect after mods. My Steyr 110 is it's peer without modifications. My Daystate CRX has allowed me lots of wins.

One of the most successful FT rifles of all time is the HW77. You don't see them too often any more but back when FT started in the US that was the number one gun. Some were modified but I shot mine right out of the box for quite awhile. Back then an 12x or 18X scope was considered high power. The pellet of choice hands down was the Crosman Premier domed at 7.9 grains.

I wonder if anyone has compiled the stats to determine the most successful FT rifles and pistols?
For example how often does an FX M3 win an FT match, or a Steyr or a walther?
IT is the shooter not so much the gun . the shooter selects the gun they like so really the gun does not mater so much as long as the shooter feels comfortable with it .

Two of the most important aspects of successful FT shooting are temperature/velocity stability and poi stability.

An experienced shooter that is very on top of things can deal with temp/velocity change by keeping track of temp and compensating accordingly. This is very common….but it requires mental bandwidth that could,otherwise, be used effectively for something else during the competition.

The poi shift is something more than a couple of the listed guns suffer from and must be addressed by a smith that knows how to deal with it. Out of the box they will not work well.

There is only one FT gun on the planet that was designed to be able to shoot the same speed at 100 degrees as it does at 20 degrees….with no poi shift.

Mike

I can attest to the velocity consistency of "mystery" FT gun @thomasair has mentioned with personal experience. I have not gotten official chrono numbers deviate higher than 5-6 FPS wether it was 90 degrees in Nevada or 40 degrees in Sacramento with unweighted/unsorted pellets.

However POI change on longer shots due to air/altitude density changes caused by temperature and/or altitude change is still very much in play, it is law of physics after all.

You can search the equipment used by almost everyone in wftc, at least in recent years.
But if you mention fx m3, obviously is not about the real ft but other variants, there I cannot assist you.

It doesn’t mean they are the best tho, ft is a complex competition where the equipment is not all. Probably steyrs are the ones with most wins but that doesn’t mean they are better/worse than any other, just the gun used to win.

If you wonder what’s the best, in my opinion thomas hands down, you will never miss because of the rifle if properly maintained, with steyrs you can of course win but it will take you more time to learn and master all the poi/vel shifts you can experience

Reactions: cavedweller
For example how often does an FX M3 win an FT match, or a Steyr or a walther?
As per usual, this thread has taken off in an entirely different direction than was asked for by the original post.

Cavedweller:

I have not seen a comprehensive equipment listing for FT rifle and pistol match winners but although it would take some time on your part, it would be easy enough to do by going to the AAFTA website and look at match reports. I do know that at this year's National Championships in Puerto Rico the WFTF class first and second place went to Thomas shooters. In HFT PCP class first and second went to Daystate Red Wolves. I have never seen a FT match report where a FX Impact M3 won the match in any class but that rifle has had good success in Extreme Field Target where the targets are set at 15-100 yards and participants are shooting .22, .25, and .30 calibers.

Podna

Which guns would be the most likely to perform well in FT with no modifications other than tuning?
The GUN you the shooter find the most comfortable & fitting.
FROM THERE it becomes a skills game of becoming one with said rifle & learning its traits in depth .. then their is the wind !!

The GUN you the shooter find the most comfortable & fitting.
FROM THERE it becomes a skills game of becoming one with said rifle & learning its traits in depth .. then their is the wind !!
I should have been more specific. I know virtually nothing about FT and have never watched or shot in a match. If a gun fits well and doesn't shoot that well, I am not going to like it. Which guns will be the most accurate out of the box with no add-ons, just basic tuning and are built in such a way as to work well with the FT shooting position and power requirements... I think I read that .177 is the caliber most recommended due to flatter trajectory than a tuned down 22 Cal. Not a fan of the .177, but could talk myself into one if there is really that much of an advantage over a 22 cal.

Imo, the rifle doesn't make the shooter, the shooter makes the rifle.
FT is not my "thing" as I prefer "hunting". Field / hunting grounds, target/ what I pursuing.
FT is a great way to learn proper shooting techniques and range finding much like unmarked 3-D is for archery hunting.
As far as the "best" out of the box FT rifle, my impression would be the one rifle you feel brings out the best in your shooting style.
Expensive if you have to buy a rifle to try it. I'm sure at any FT event , there are numerous guns there that could give you the opportunity to try them. Explain to the owner of the gun your reason for the request and I bet 99.9% of the time they will say yes.
Good luck ,
Mike

As per usual, this thread has taken off in an entirely different direction than was asked for by the original post.

Cavedweller:

I have not seen a comprehensive equipment listing for FT rifle and pistol match winners but although it would take some time on your part, it would be easy enough to do by going to the AAFTA website and look at match reports. I do know that at this year's National Championships in Puerto Rico the WFTF class first and second place went to Thomas shooters. In HFT PCP class first and second went to Daystate Red Wolves. I have never seen a FT match report where a FX Impact M3 won the match in any class but that rifle has had good success in Extreme Field Target where the targets are set at 15-100 yards and participants are shooting .22, .25, and .30 calibers.

Podna
Here is a report for CASA, AAFTA, matches.
August 28 2022. FX M3 in .22 smooth twist barrel, top score Hunter PCP and top score overall (tied with freestyle not an AAFTA division, although Rick is a great shot).
Also top score Hunter PCP Oct. 8 using FX M3 in .177 with LW slow twist poly. Top scores are very dependent on who shows up, and skill level, less so on what's being shot

https://455c0c96-478d-4e3b-bda4-b02...e414e.xlsx?dn=CASA Match Results 2021-22.xlsx

Shoot what you want, I do covet the Steyer, USFT and Thomas guns... simple is elegant.