Most reliable Big Bore?? Long Term Use

Gonna watch this one. I am jonesing to get a big bore. Where I live you can hunt any game animal with an air gun.
I would just like to get a few deer and maybe an elk (not a ranch/fence hunt). Texan had my interest but stories of poor accuracy and reliability issues have me looking elsewhere for now.
Yeah and Airforce won’t email you back about the warranty I’ve been waiting a month on them

Yeah and Airforce won’t email you back about the warranty I’ve been waiting a month on them
@David1978 I suggest calling Airforce. In the past I had zero issue getting someone on the phone to talk about their warranty. I had a very helpful customer service rep help me over the phone.

Reactions: David1978
I have a 6 year old XP .58. shooting either 350 or 433 gr hollowpoints, killed around 500 feral hogs with it, super reliable, only failure point I have had is the fill nipple o-rings going out which is easy to change but annoying since have to drain the tank. it hits like a ton of bricks and haven't had anything survive being hit with it. get what you pay for tho. the XP 58 was like $3000 with a 15" suppressor cerakoted and all

Last edited:
I have a 6 year old XP .58. shooting either 350 or 433 gr hollowpoints, killed around 500 feral hogs with it, super reliable, only failure point I have had is the fill nipple o-rings going out which is easy to change but annoying since have to drain the tank. it hits like a ton of bricks and haven't had anything survive being hit with it. get what you pay for tho. the XP 58 was like $3000 with a 15" suppressor cerakoted and all
I looked at those XP's. They are nice guns for sure. There's an easy fix for that fill port o-ring failing. Next time that you are in there replacing the o-ring, adding an airflow filling restrictor will likely fix that issue permanently. When some fill/sealing o-rings get a high pressure and fast, high volume of airflow it tends to burnish the o-ring after multiple fills. This hardens the outside of it and causes sealing issues or the premature failure due to cracks.

I looked at those XP's. They are nice guns for sure. There's an easy fix for that fill port o-ring failing. Next time that you are in there replacing the o-ring, adding an airflow filling restrictor will likely fix that issue permanently. When some fill/sealing o-rings get a high pressure and fast, high volume of airflow it tends to burnish the o-ring after multiple fills. This hardens the outside of it and causes sealing issues or the premature failure due to cracks.
this sounds like a very good thing to have... and where might I find such a device? seriously I probably swap one out every year

this sounds like a very good thing to have... and where might I find such a device? seriously I probably swap one out every year
Both Air Tanks Plus and Huma-Air has them, and they are adjustable via a screw in the bottom. I'd suggest contacting Airtanksplus first. They've been pretty helpful to the airgun community in making things we want. The XP may have a standard thread pitch and or style being American made. Other's have threaded a set screw into the nipple and drilled a 0.032" or smaller hole in it to restrict the flow also.

Last edited:
I am a little disappointed at the offerings in the big bore department.

🔹 For every caliber from .177, .22, .25, and .30 the airgun industry produces bullpups* (with tactical looks).
But when I'm looking for a .35 or larger — I have almost no options in these styles..... 😞

🔹Does it not seem logical to use the bullpup design especially for powerful airguns — because they need a long barrel to develop that level of power?

➠ Anyhow, I'm hoping that Eastern European bullpup manufacturers will offer larger calibers in the near future! 😊
Are you reading this, RTI? 😉

Matthias

* (If I apply the term "hideous shape" to the Benjamin Bulldog bullpup I hope you will forgive me, it's just my very own and personal opinion.)

Last edited:

🔹 For every caliber from .177, .22, .25, and .30 the airgun industry produces bullpups* and tactical style guns.
But when I'm looking for a .35 or larger — I have almost no options in these styles..... 😞

🔹Does it not seem logical to use the bullpup design especially for powerful airguns — because they need a long barrel to develop that level of power?

➠ Anyhow, I'm hoping that Eastern European bullpup manufacturers will offer larger calibers in the near future! 😊

Matthias

* (If I apply the term "hideous shape" to the Benjamin Bulldog bullpup I hope you will forgive me, it's just my very own and personal opinion.)
AAA Slayer
Benjamin Bulldog, Veradium Taurus
Hatsan Piledriver
Western Sidewinder/Rattler

AAA Slayer
Benjamin Bulldog, Veradium Taurus
Hatsan Piledriver
Western Sidewinder/Rattler

Thanks for the input, Dave, I'm liking the regulated and good-looking Western Rattler.

The AAA Slayer is, I'm sure, top flight quality, made in USA, star spangled banner, and then some. But it does not have an adjustable regulator... — and for this much money, I expect a bit more thought put into the looks of the gun, not just the mechanics.... 😉

Well, the prices of all of these keep me at bay. Should start thinking of selling some stuff. Maybe.... 🤔

Matthias

Reactions: Bernie7
@Mathias I tried addressing the larger caliber big-bore bullpup options. If you would consider a .30 cal, then the AGT Vulcan and AGT Uragans are worth looking into. I've been researching them. The Vulcan seems like a hard hitting .30 bullpup, but they appear to be heavy. There aren't many Edgun R5Ms in .30, although there was one for sale for around $2000 in the Classifieds last I checked. So for Eastern Bloc big-bore bullpups, I'd start looking there. I'm more concerned about ergonomics and performance than looks in a big bore. Also beauty is subjective so it's hard to be of assistance in that area. Just wanted to throw some options out there. A Slayer shouldn't be hard to obtain down there once they are back in production. Claudio Flores of Patagonia Airguns has done some wonderful shooting and videography in Patagonia hunting with one. It may be easier for you to order some things through him. For AGTs maybe Krale is an option for you. Just a few thoughts. I don't look for regulated big bores, so I'm afraid I'm not much help there. I actually prefer unregulated big bores. I usually only need a shot or two afield per stand.

Last edited:
Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I'm with you JumgleShooter - it's hard to find quality & bullpup >.357.

I love my Wester Rattler - for myself there's currently nothing I like more than larping around the house doing practice drills banging steel all day. I'm averaging roughly 200 rounds a day and some days go well into 1000.

Only 1 of my Rattler's have not sprung a leak yet though, I'm not sure if it's because I shoot them so much every single day, that with it hitting 250-270FPE or what, but that's my only complaint for it for the past year owning and abusing it.

🔹 For every caliber from .177, .22, .25, and .30 the airgun industry produces bullpups* (with tactical looks).

Matthias

My XP 58 is 6'3" awkwardly long, major butt pain, obtuse. but totally worth lugging around because of the 800+ ftlbs of power, and reports steady at 117dB

I have the XP Ranger 45cal in a bullpup stock with a 28" barrel very handy in my deerstand or ground blind.
1000004246.jpg

New guy here. Been reading this forum and saw no mention of Seneca Dragon Claw or Piledriver. Was hoping for some words on maybe a Dragon Claw 50, which is on a UPS truck headed my way tonight. Got several other guns, Hatsan and Black Ops but all 30 cal or 22. Decided to up my game and see if I like it. I mean, I'm done killing stuff, but punching holes in paper is fun too. And Spring is coming round the bend.

New guy here. Been reading this forum and saw no mention of Seneca Dragon Claw or Piledriver. Was hoping for some words on maybe a Dragon Claw 50, which is on a UPS truck headed my way tonight. Got several other guns, Hatsan and Black Ops but all 30 cal or 22. Decided to up my game and see if I like it. I mean, I'm done killing stuff, but punching holes in paper is fun too. And Spring is coming round the bend.
@Mitch333 Hatsan and reliable aren't wordsI'm used to seeing in the same sentence @gendoc speaks highly of and stands by that platform. He is one of the only ones that I've seen promoting the Piledriver. I think you should read over this thread if you haven't. The first page of this thread discusses the two guns you're talking about that you have seen no mention of. The Seneca guns were formerly branded under "Sam Yang."

Last edited: