• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

most quiet moderator in real life test ????

What caliber do you have and do you really like the gun? In either case, like/don't like... why?

Just checked the price on Krale, but they're OOS on all calibers. $392 isn't too bad if the gun is consistently accurate, reliable and efficient with air when tuned?

No regulator can be a plus! (grin)

Thanks!

p.s.

Sorry, I have no recommendations for a moderator... especially if you don't give the situation in which you are shooting (expectations), the caliber, projectile and fps.

Not sure I could recommend one even if I knew those specifics, but maybe someone will. (smile)
Thank you. I altered my request.

I don't think anything can compare to the basic aluminum can that came on FX guns and add 3d printed baffles with a very tight bore.
With 2 75mm center sections and 7 baffles it made my 132fpe .30 impact sound like one of those silencers you see on TV except quieter. You'd still hear air coming out for a second after the shot. I sold my DFL Ronin within 30 minutes of the first try because the difference was night and day.
I don't sell these anymore but I'll show the pic as an example.
FX Double 2 - - Copy.jpg

I redesigned the baffles with a steeper cone so that more baffles can be used, reduced turbulence and to delay the air longer.
It's better, faster and stronger to print these in PETG with a 1mm nozzle in vase mode for a single wall.

New Baffles - Copy.jpg

^ I use basically the same setup that I originally got baffles from heavy-impact a long time ago for. Or what seems like a long time... time is sort of relative, I suppose. I've since broken some baffles and printed some myself, but it is the quietest design I have used, and I have some of the old huma mods that were the quietest off the shelf mods at the time. I believe they still are. But new ones are a different spec now, and not as quiet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nattboy
I'll be careful how I state this but my experience with the HK P9S was that you could add an ounce of water into the suppressor and that would significantly reduce the report. All sub-sonic rounds of course.
I'll be careful how I state this but my experience with the HK P9S was that you could add an ounce of water into the suppressor and that would significantly reduce the report. All sub-sonic rounds of course.
I've seen using water (sprayed into the moderator) for PB, but never for airguns. And yes, for PB at least, it does make a difference for a few shots. Not sure how effective it would be for airguns or what effect it would have on accuracy. No moderator will stop the crack of supersonic/transonic rounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: BackStop
Biggest component of this is going to be the tune! I can give you a recipe for an extremely quiet mod, but if the gun's tune isn't optimized, or if it's high powered, it's only going to do so much.

Here's what I did with my FX Crown. On the rear of the end cap for the shroud, I epoxied a flat baffle and have the shroud ported with a small hole at the rear. Can't recall exact specs, but the baffle is milled to the exact ID of my shroud, and it has a 6.3mm hole in it. This traps more pressure inside the shroud, and delays it's exit. Making a moderators job easier. (dispersing, delaying pressure and volume exiting the bore) The moderator is a factory FX continuum mod with 25mm extension and 5 cone baffles that are 3d printed. Cone shaped baffles create more turbulence in my experience, further delaying pressure and volume exiting. At the end of the mod I have a wire mesh cage that holds a roll of felt. The felt takes the edge off of the report right before all of the air exits the device. But most importaintly of all, a tune that utilizes high pressure, and low volume will be the quietest. I have my gun tuned to about 135 bar. 150 would be quieter for the same power level. The less power output you have, the quieter you can tune it as well. I shoot a lot around 650fps or so for this reason. At full tilt, you can only quiet the gun so much, at which point, the moderator doesnt matter so much anymore.

View attachment 293146

View attachment 293147View attachment 293148
This is awesome. I would love more in-depth info in messages if you are willing or heck even text or chat?

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
In PB a suppressor functions around mitigation of the sound report by redirecting and cooling the expanding gases coming out of the barrel, so keeping a can cool allows for it to function better in said task. On this site gun talk is prohibited but the reason I've replied with this answer is to answer why it would be a negative with moderators for airguns. First, airgun moderators or lead dust collectors function differently because they are not built for heat retention (they never use oil or pistons or anything like that). They minimally have a volume of space for the air to be trapped in, but obviously baffles help redirect air. Why water would not help is because the gases from an explosion are not present. Also there is a bit of free bore play where the projectile has left the barrel but not the moderator. Inside the moderator for those milliseconds water would likely bounce from the vibration of the barrel and be placed in the pellet or slugs free bore path and causing turbulence that is unwanted.

I tend not to use moderators now unless it helps with the harmonics, but they are a good tool for enjoying the hobby. I just have a Sumo.

-Atlas Airguns Podcast

For me, the quieter the better for many reasons. Fortunately, the Fortitude and the DAR (both in .177) are/were (respectively) quiet enough for my purposes without adding a moderator/silencer.

In any case, thanks for the lengthy explanation of why water works with PB moderators on an airgun forum... (chuckle)

Sorry, couldn't help myself... (smile)

Last edited:
Airgun moderator function is simple. Disrupt disperse, and delay flow of chairge air (baffles and volume accomplish this). Dispersing and delaying pressure release. The better these 2 are accomplished the better the result. Sound dampening material like felt can also be used to absorb some of the sound waves addtionally. As stated, this can also be aided by tuning the gun to utilize a smaller, higher pressure charge. Reason being that charge volume is going to be less, which means it is easier to disperse. Often this actually occurs inside the barrel before the mod even begins to do it's job.