most quiet moderator in real life test ????

I doubt you'll find a test that's broad-enough for your purposes. Effectiveness of a moderator will depend on exactly what gun its moderating, and its state of tune. So fair comparisons will be a bit of a pain to do, as there's tonnes of moderators out there, and you'd need one person to have them all at the same time.

As far as I know, the difference between any two "reasonably-good" moderators will be 5-10dB max. But I'd be happy to be wrong.

some reference

Although not conclusive, this is a good start when looking for an airgun "silencer/moderator". It is at least the most comprehensive (number of products) comparison I have seen and although there is no true standard for testing, this is the most comprehensive testing I have seen.

And yet... I will keep making my slip-on $5 or less each "silencers/moderators" for my .177 airguns because they do at least as well as 75% of those listed.

No, I don't have the data to prove it. But I can tune them easily and even if I have to start over from scratch... at less than $5 a try to start from scratch and virtually nothing more to change/tune them...(grin) It is a win/win!

At least some of the popular name brand airgun moderators are really nothing more than an open chamber with threads at one end and a small opening for the projectile to pass through at the other end with some sound dampening material placed inside the chamber. No baffles. Those with baffles may or may not be better. Most baffle designs are not really better based on .177 airguns. When you get to the upper calibers, the baffling may make a difference due to the larger volume of air used. JMHO

Last edited:
And yet... I will keep making my slip-on $5 or less each "silencers/moderators" for my .177 airguns because they do at least as well as 75% of those listed.

No, I don't have the data to prove it. But I can tune them easily and even if I have to start over from scratch... at less than $5 a try to start from scratch and virtually nothing more to change/tune them...(grin) It is a win/win!

aesthetics and durability (and for some, resale value) are major cost factors in my opinion.

i guess the main reason i bought a donny fl moderator is because they were better at marketing. they caught my attention first as the "gold standard" and used words like "machined aluminum" that sounded more beautiful, durable, and slightly better performing than the "3d printed moderator" for less than 1/5 the price with supposedly similar performance.

on the flipside, if i knew there were $5 slip on moderators i would have bought one as a first moderator instead of a Donny just to see what difference low end moderators may make.

Last edited:
Biggest component of this is going to be the tune! I can give you a recipe for an extremely quiet mod, but if the gun's tune isn't optimized, or if it's high powered, it's only going to do so much.

Here's what I did with my FX Crown. On the rear of the end cap for the shroud, I epoxied a flat baffle and have the shroud ported with a small hole at the rear. Can't recall exact specs, but the baffle is milled to the exact ID of my shroud, and it has a 6.3mm hole in it. This traps more pressure inside the shroud, and delays it's exit. Making a moderators job easier. (dispersing, delaying pressure and volume exiting the bore) The moderator is a factory FX continuum mod with 25mm extension and 5 cone baffles that are 3d printed. Cone shaped baffles create more turbulence in my experience, further delaying pressure and volume exiting. At the end of the mod I have a wire mesh cage that holds a roll of felt. The felt takes the edge off of the report right before all of the air exits the device. But most importaintly of all, a tune that utilizes high pressure, and low volume will be the quietest. I have my gun tuned to about 135 bar. 150 would be quieter for the same power level. The less power output you have, the quieter you can tune it as well. I shoot a lot around 650fps or so for this reason. At full tilt, you can only quiet the gun so much, at which point, the moderator doesnt matter so much anymore.

DSCF5981.JPG

PSX_20200112_201325.jpg
PSX_20200102_190453.jpg

Last edited:
aesthetics and durability (and for some, resale value) are major cost factors in my opinion.

i guess the main reason i bought a donny fl moderator is because they were better at marketing. they caught my attention first as the "gold standard" and used words like "machined aluminum" that sounded more beautiful, durable, and slightly better performing than the "3d printed moderator" for less than 1/5 the price with supposedly similar performance.

on the flipside, if i knew there were $5 slip on moderators i would have bought one as a first moderator instead of a Donny just to see what difference low end moderators may make.
Well, I don't know that you can buy a slip-on, but you can make them easily and adjust the harmonics without spending another cent. (grin)

Of course, I don't give a rats ass what mine look like, as long as they work. So, if looks is a priority you will have to spend a some more money for that even if you make them for yourself.

And they will STILL cost WAY less than anything you can buy that actually works. (smile)

I hate breaking open a PCP for repair, but my DIY moderators are so simple that I have no problems changing the configuration of the innards on the fly... so to speak. (y)

Fortunately, so far, the Fortitude really doesn't need one and the shroud diameter is smaller than the Freedoms, so I haven't, yet, made one for it. But sooner or later... I will. (grin)

The Freedoms were pretty loud without moderation and the first airgun I put a DIY moderator on was a Crosman Fire F4 (POS). I never even heard the pellet hit the target until I put my first DIY moderator on it. Also, I had MANY tree rats at one time in my yard (as many as 30 at one time), but never was able to get more than one shot off before they all ran away, until I put on the DIY moderator. So, yes, they can and do work, but you do have to "tune" them to some degree to get the "note" where you like it.

If I had the equipment, I would make them with threads compatible with the standard screw mounts for airguns. But being a poor fixed income old guy, I do what I can with what I can afford. And that is usually what I already have... (smile)

And that ain't much these days with the present regime... (heavy sigh)

Last edited:
Reactions: ardaneo
Can anyone suggest a moderator for a Snowpeak P 35. I think the regulator is set at 140. It is a .22 caliber rifle with a shrouded barrel. I will be shooting a 18.13 pellet at 875 fps which will generate 30.83 foot pounds of energy. The rifle will be used for small game hunting, pest control, and backyard plinking. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Can anyone suggest a moderator for a Snowpeak P 35. I think the regulator is set at 140. Thank you.
What caliber do you have and do you really like the gun? In either case, like/don't like... why?

Just checked the price on Krale, but they're OOS on all calibers. $392 isn't too bad if the gun is consistently accurate, reliable and efficient with air when tuned?

No regulator can be a plus! (grin)

Thanks!

p.s.

Sorry, I have no recommendations for a moderator... especially if you don't give the situation in which you are shooting (expectations), the caliber, projectile and fps.

Not sure I could recommend one even if I knew those specifics, but maybe someone will. (smile)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: EDventure
Well, I don't know that you can buy a slip-on, but you can make them easily and adjust the harmonics without spending another cent. (grin)

Of course, I don't give a rats ass what mine look like, as long as they work. So, if looks is a priority you will have to spend a some more money for that if you make them for yourself.

And they will STILL cost WAY less than anything you can buy that actually works. (smile)

I hate breaking open a PCP for repair, but my DIY moderators are so simple that I have no problems changing the configuration of the innards on the fly... so to speak. (y)

Fortunately, so far, the Fortitude really doesn't need one and the shroud diameter is smaller than the Freedoms, so I haven't, yet, made one for it. But sooner or later... I will. (grin)

The Freedoms were pretty loud without moderation and the first airgun I put a DIY moderator on was a Crosman Fire F4 (POS). I never even heard the pellet hit the target until I put my first DIY moderator on it. Also, I had MANY tree rats at one time in my yard (as many as 30 at one time), but never was able to get more than one shot off before they all ran away, until I put on the DIY moderator. So, yes, they can and do work, but you do have to "tune" them to some degree to get the "note" where you like it.

If I had the equipment, I would make them with threads compatible with the standard screw mounts for airguns. But being a poor fixed income old guy, I do what I can with what I can afford. And that is usually what I already have... (smile)

And that ain't much these days with the present regime... (heavy sigh)
A 1/2 x20 tap is not much $$ . Amazon has tap and die set's

Reactions: Hal4son and qball
A 1/2 x20 tap is not much $$ . Amazon has tap and die set's
For my purposes, I don't really need one, but thanks anyway. Not to mention that I would still have to make my DIY moderators WITH the threading to accommodate the adapter.

For me, not worth the extra effort and especially not worth the extra money it would cost for the tools to do that! (smile)

Last edited:
My experience has been that all moderators behave differently on different airguns. The barrel being shrouded or bare makes a big difference.

For the most part the following moderators work well for me:
  • Silent Thunder Ordinance - Sarisssa and Falx hi-flow work very well on un-shrouded barrels like the Leshiy 2 that push A LOT of air.
  • Huma Mod30 with varying number of stacks and empty chambers offer an excellent performance on .177 and .22 caliber airguns.
  • DonnyFL - performance varies based on the patform, but the Tatsu works really well on the Taipan Veteran.

In my experience, the tune and the size of the moderator are the biggest factors, at least for me. IF using the same gun and relatively the same size moderators, even changing brands hasn't made huge differences. But that's just me. There certainly are measurable differences in different brands and models, but the biggest gains I would say come from a larger moderator. Who knows.... maybe that was just what I wanted to find out because I don't like spending more money on moderators lol

Unfortunately I think most moderators are highly overpriced for what they are. I've used many brands and they all tend to be very similar to quieting the report. When fitting a moderator I tend to go for short as possible and slim diameter, I can't stand having a big coke can hanging off the end of my gun. All I'm really trying to do is quiet the gun just enough to minimize feedback from the environment.

Unfortunately I think most moderators are highly overpriced for what they are. I've used many brands and they all tend to be very similar to quieting the report. When fitting a moderator I tend to go for short as possible and slim diameter, I can't stand having a big coke can hanging off the end of my gun. All I'm really trying to do is quiet the gun just enough to minimize feedback from the environment.
Have to agree with the pricing issue. There is not much to any moderator. Marketing them is expensive though.
As others have said the tune is the biggest variable I have found.

Reactions: Nattboy