• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Most overrated rifle...in your opinion?

As per the title, what's the most overrated gun you've owned/used in your opinion.

Something others rave about but you don't get the hype.

Please don't take offence to other people's answers. 😂

For me personally it was the Daystate AlphaWolf. Not because it's a bad gun, although I've heard some negative stories....but for me it was just souless and quite boring. Cocking had no feeling, trigger had no feeling. Everything was too easy. Yes, that did result in a very accurate rifle, but it took the fun out of it.

EdGun R5M standard and long in .25. I’ve had both. Accuracy was mediocre. Cocking was clunky and unreliable. Trigger was Meh. Magazine advance was sporadic.
I also have an older .22 R3 Long single shot and it’s a fantastic rifle…

to me its 'bullpup' style guns in general ..typically theyre as bulky as regular rifles, the stock doesnt work well trying to steady it on anything and the sight mounting is at least a full inch if not more, higher than a typical gun .. all in all just doesnt work well except for offhand scenarios ..that said i like the ones i have .. when things get dead serious though, i'll grab something else

Lol this should get interesting. 3, 2, 1....go!!! For somebody to be offended by a response (even though you asked for guys to please not get offended).

Ive got a good guess on the gun and brand that will elicit the most fervent response if somebody dares name it as their "most overrated".

As per the title, what's the most overrated gun you've owned/used in your opinion.

Something others rave about but you don't get the hype.

Please don't take offence to other people's answers. 😂

For me personally it was the Daystate AlphaWolf. Not because it's a bad gun, although I've heard some negative stories....but for me it was just souless and quite boring. Cocking had no feeling, trigger had no feeling. Everything was too easy. Yes, that did result in a very accurate rifle, but it took the fun out of it.
Daystate AlphaWolf.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Harsan nova star. Quality issues all around. The valve does work well. Whole gun was assembled crooked. Hammer mechanism is prone to failure and galling. Stock was made from two extremely different pieces of wood. Receiver was cut too deep for the magazine making it kind of flimsy and a poor fit. Cocking handle pin hole is crooked, so the whole thing mounted to the gun crooked. The barrel from the factory was trash from brand new in the box. I can keep going.

I think the Impact line up is way overhyped, but thats because of the type of shooter I am. Can I tinker? Yup. Can I tune? Yup. Some peoples brains like that, some don't. I certainly don't prefer it. I am a set it, leave it, shoot it guy. The impact is the tinkerers dream. The endless options. The endless add ons. However IMO for A SHOOTER, its too overhyped. Too many intricacies, and too many problems due to it.

I think the Impact line up is way overhyped, but thats because of the type of shooter I am. Can I tinker? Yup. Can I tune? Yup. Some peoples brains like that, some don't. I certainly don't prefer it. I am a set it, leave it, shoot it guy. The impact is the tinkerers dream. The endless options. The endless add ons. However IMO for A SHOOTER, its too overhyped. Too many intricacies, and too many problems due to it.
I agree, brother. I have a MK2 and an MK3. The 3 with all it's gages, regulators and knobs is just overwhelming. The MK2 is simpler as accurate, and gets the job done without pulling out my FX tool kit. Actually, if I live long enough, my next gun will be a RAW.

FX Tuning kit.jpg

Electronic guns all of them to me their like the m3 except with electricity. For me i just don’t understand it like a mechanical gun and yes set it up and leave it alone i think thats the reason my m3 has worked so well for me ( so far) i set it up for 22-600 and 25-600 found a tune rather early where i just adjust the macro wheel to go from 1 to the other and left it alone so far so good. I much prefer my ghosts little to go wrong easy to set up and very accurate

I agree, brother. I have a MK2 and an MK3. The 3 with all it's gages, regulators and knobs is just overwhelming. The MK2 is simpler as accurate, and gets the job done without pulling out my FX tool kit. Actually, if I live long enough, my next gun will be a RAW.

View attachment 396382
I built an MK2 Impact (huma reg, hammer, 700mm with ernest style rear tensioning setup, heavy slug liner) and it was AWESOME, single reg set at 185 bar, 700 cc bottle, 55 shots per fill at 75 fpe with 30.5 .22 grain zans! Hitting wiffle balls at 265 yards. TALK ABOUT SMOOTH!!! but , the only reason I had built it was the factory reg started leaking.

I feel the guns I’ve not been happy with were never over hyped. There are clunkers that get some hype but it’s short lived so I really don’t count them either. We all know what the long term hype guns are and there aren’t many of them. Definitely the king of hype is an Impact. Marketing , vidiots and it’s price tag make it appear that its for everyone. But it’s not. It’s price is right on the top edge of where the average Joe says that’s gonna be the answer to my prayers. Where a Daystate is just a little out of reach. But then ironically the new M3 owner dresses up his M3 in enough aftermarket crap that he could have went with a Daystate. Then possibly like someone else mentioned, would fall asleep behind the wheel while shooting it. So am I disappointed with Impacts? No, I knew what they were going in. But I also know my PCP buddies like to shoot mine but would hate the gun within a month of owning it so they won’t buy one.

Reactions: thumper and L.Leon