• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Most common BR rifles under 1k

Whatever you find that is accurate🤷‍♂️
Skills do most.of the work😅😶‍🌫️
*screenshot of N50 leaders
Screenshot_20230709_202641_Chrome.jpg

Are 22 the most used? What about 25 cal?
It depends on what format you are shooting.

You ought to look into what formats are being contested in your area. The type of benchrest might be a huge factor in what you want to start with. Where I live, benchrest is almost nonexistent. If I shot NRL/PRS-type matches, there would be a match within 100 miles every weekend of the year (and several to pick from many weekends), but there are two, or three, benchrest matches during the year.

I like to shoot N50 the best, but it is rare that any local matches are held. My most common type of match is 100yd (RMAC), but I prefer 50 yd. My personal favorite is 22 cal, but I believe 30 cal has a distinct advantage in the wind (especially at 100 yds). In my experience, 25 cal is very hit-or-miss. A small percentage of gun/ammo shoot great, but the vast majority are tough to get to shoot good.

--Jim

@Buckpcp , I use a RTI Prophet LR .22 for 50Y benchrest though I must preface that by saying that I am not likely to win any major championships but I have fun and that’s what matters to me. These rifles can be found on the used market in your price range.

I brought my $300 Air Venturi Avenger with me to the range the other day. I ran a few different pellets through it to see what it is capable of at 50Y with no tuning done between switching pellet weights and here are the results. Keep in mind that I am an average Joe and certainly not a pro by any stretch but this will give you an idea what a low cost rifle is capable of in average hands.

IMG_7030.jpeg

Last edited: