Most accurate PCP repeater .22 air gun...?

I have only owned one hand pump, and it was an inexpensive one from Amazon. It failed after only about a dozen uses. I would agree with what others have said about buying quality. You could "win the lottery" on a cheap pump from Amazon that lasts for years and years, but it is still a lottery. If you decide to buy a pump, and go with a Hill or other name brand, you probably stand a good chance of getting retailer or manufacturer support if it should fail.

I also own an Air Venturi Avenger in .22 and have to say that I think it meets your purpose/needs. The rifle is accurate, powerful, and depending on the tune, gets you a very good number of shots. Also, even though it can be filled to 300 BAR / 4350 PSI, you don't have to pump it up to that pressure to take advantage of the accuracy and shot count it has to offer. A 3000 PSI fill will get you quite a good shot count, is easier to pump to, and you still get the power you want (24 FT-LBS with 14.3grain Crosman Premier HP @ 878 FPS).

I also am fortunate enough to own an HW97K in .177cal and a TX200 HC in .22cal. Both of them are very accurate out to 30 yards too, and you don't need a pump. They are a bit more than an Avenger + quality hand pump, but I think you would be very happy with either for your purpose (quality spring rifle or entry level PCP like the Avenger).

Best of luck to you in your hunt no matter what you choose. It's good to live at a time where we have so many choices!

I use the cheap Chinese handpumps and they work great. I've used mine for over 5 years now and they never let me down. You most certainly can handpumps for any gun that uses 3000psi. It just gets extremely difficult when you have a large capacity of air. It's not a big deal if your just hunting your doing but if you want to shoot a hundred pellets a day or more it's going to be a drag. If you get a handpumps be sure to get one of these and they work even better if you put water absorbers beads inside. The beads are call desiccant beads. There are several rifles that make 30 fpe that would work great for a hand pump. I prefer 20 fpe guns more only because you get so many more shots out of them. The avenger is unusable with a handpump unless you tune it down and fill to 3000psi. Being as you were new I thought you wouldn't want to do that but it is a valid option. The marauder is another great option but the marauder p is my favorite airgun for short range hunting and easy to fill. I have alot of budget guns and they all shoot straight enough to kill a rat. I don't buy into the idea that you have to drop thousands of dollars to have a good gun. My Gamo urban is really accurate and cost 250 bucks. Good luck to you. 
Screenshot_20220512-184943.1652407028.png
again you can pm me anytime and I can go into more detail about any questions you may have. 

I have only owned one hand pump, and it was an inexpensive one from Amazon. It failed after only about a dozen uses. I would agree with what others have said about buying quality. You could "win the lottery" on a cheap pump from Amazon that lasts for years and years, but it is still a lottery. If you decide to buy a pump, and go with a Hill or other name brand, you probably stand a good chance of getting retailer or manufacturer support if it should fail.

2000 buck FX rifles are a lottery too, the forums are filled with threads about it ( case and point just from today https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-m3-feeding-problem/?referrer=1 ) it does not take away from the overall quality of the gun,

I will repeat, all my 8 HILLs developed severe pitting in a very short time, all had to be re-built within the year at a cost of a China pump, all my HILLs eventually died,.......My China pump on the other hand is worth 10 HILLs and when it dies I have a bunch of O-rings that come with the 50 bucks price tag.

Also if yours died after 12 uses I'm sure Amazon would have exchanged it.

You guys go ahead and spend 300 bucks for a HILL, I rather buy 6 China pumps for that money and I assure you they will be the best buy of the two.

Good point, if you plan to shoot 200-300 pellets per day the handpump will get old, but if you plan 20-50 shots daily and mainly hunt a Handpump will serve you very well indeed.

Back to the actual rifle, like Raden said no need to spend 1000s, today's crop of cheap PCPs will cover your intentions perfectly.

I have a 300 bucks Aircuda ( they should be on the market soon) and is very accurate, very easy to power up or down and even has a 5 settings power adjuster for quick changes, it will do everything you need in a rifle.

What an unbelievably helpful and active forum! I just posted this an hour ago... I've learned years ago that if you want to be exceptional in a field or at a task, just find a quality forum to go to for research. I have been disappointed the last few years as people seem to have migrated to Facebook groups for questions and discussions, and it's just not the same... so I'm thrilled to see there are still some active forums like this. Such a happy surprise! 

So just a question since it's brought up, what makes PCP's more accurate? Is it the higher FPS or is it that the barrels are one piece and don't move? I would be shooting at 50 feet or less, would most guns (of any type) be super accurate in that range?

Generally for the average shooter a PCP is more accurate simply due to the fact it is easy to shoot. You do not have to worry about how you hold it, or placing the front stock on a rest the same exact place each time and so on.

However trigger control is the key to accuracy in any rifle and to get a decent trigger on a PCP you will spend some bucks, a crisp clean one pound trigger on a PCP is not cheap and you have now entered the 1500 dollar range. On top of that you need air, so now you have other choices to make, tanks to go get filled, a compressor, a nitrogen set up, etc, etc. So that PCP requires a lot of support equipment. 

For your situation I would recommend an HW95 paired with a Hawke Airmax 6by24 30mm tube COMPACT MODEL. The 95 will take you about a week to master. It is laser accurate, light enough to enjoy and carry around, reliable and very beginner friendly. I have shot so many of them I can even go out on a limb and recommend the GTO Predator 11.75 and or the Air Arms 16 grain Diablo pellet. Yes each rifle likes its own pellet, but over the years I find that most, most not all 95 rifles like one of these. The 95 also has the REKORD trigger and it is wonderful . My target 95 is set at 11 ounces and is too light for most, I would suggest a 2 pound trigger to start with. It is easy to adjust and has only one exposed adjustment screw. A good clean trigger break is the key to accuracy on any rifle. 

Yes it is a springer, and debatably the best in the world. (all 97 fans will say, but, but....lol. Yea I got two of those too and they are super accurate, however they are bench rifles only, I would not want to carry one around in the woods) Between the rifle and scope you are looking at a 1000 bucks. However you are now done and do not need 2000 bucks worth of support equipment and a wheel barrow and extra truck to carry it around with.

Now having said this, and if you are serious about the MOST ACCURATE. My FX CROWN is a fantastic rifle. One inch groups all day long at 100 yards. However I have shot it thousands of times, rebuilt it twice and tuned and tweaked it to perfection. It is a joy to shoot, however if you go this route, be ready to drop some bucks.

Overall I like a springer better. I am or was a competitive shooter and a springer improves my marksmanship and I get lazy with a PCP.

Cheers

Kit

I will repeat, all my 8 HILLs developed severe pitting in a very short time, all had to be re-built within the year

I stopped reading here. Properly maintained and stored equipment does not pit. My MK4 is over two years old and still on its original seals. Honestly between the pitting and your claim of having gone through 15 hand pumps in 15 years is telling me that this is user error more than anything else.

For the record, I'm not claiming that there is anything wrong with buying the cheaper Chinese pumps. I am well aware that they work fine. Claiming that they are "just as good as..." is where I'm taking issue.

Either way, I've said my piece so I'll tap out from here. Its not my money so it truly is none of my buisness how you spend it. If you're happy, I'm happy!

I will repeat, all my 8 HILLs developed severe pitting in a very short time, all had to be re-built within the year

I stopped reading here. Properly maintained and stored equipment does not pit. My MK4 is over two years old and still on its original seals. Honestly between the pitting and your claim of having gone through 15 hand pumps in 15 years is telling me that this is user error more than anything else.

For the record, I'm not claiming that there is anything wrong with buying the cheaper Chinese pumps. I am well aware that they work fine. Claiming that they are "just as good as..." is where I'm taking issue.

Either way, I've said my piece so I'll tap out from here. Its not my money so it truly is none of my buisness how you spend it. If you're happy, I'm happy!

I agree. Like a Gamo big cat that shoots as good as an R9, and a picture of a cherry pick group.

I agree. Like a Gamo big cat that shoots as good as an R9, and a picture of a cherry pick group.

User error ? ...LOL anybody that bought guns from me, and I sold a lot of them, can attest that my equipment is always spectacurarly maintained, My pumps take the same treatment,

I used to have so many pumps because my routine was to have 3 to 4 pumps in service at a time so I could pump 25 strokes switch pump and so on so that none of them even got close to warm.

Once Again,....my Chinese pumps have proven to be superior to my the many HILLs I had ( From MK II to MK IV ) at a fraction of the cost.

I also live in a High Humidity area with salt air mixed in so my equipment has some extra challenges to go through.

Like you said people spend their own money the way they want I'm just supplying data.

The nicer Springer guns are plenty accurate for what you are wanting. But most springers will test your form and repeatability. 
What is your budget?

my first was an fx streamline 22 cal and hand pump. I really like the older fx platforms( royal/boss). I also like the airgun technology stuff, a vixen or Uragan compact is hand pump able. There are a lot of good brands that will do dime sized 50yard groups. This forum is a wealth of knowledge with a lot of good people. If there is a shop near go look, most will at least let you handle them, some let you shoot. 

I personally find pcp easier to shoot then a springer, but I absolutely love the hw50 in 177. Weight is also a factor in which gun to choose. 

Another PCP "kit" option is the Umarex Origin pump combo. The rifle got some pretty good reviews early on, and can be bundled with a pump. I don't know if the pump is a cheap Chinese one, so you might experience some pitting! ;) (I just couldn't resist.)

I cannot recommend it based on personal experience, though. Just the few reviews I have seen. All of the other rifles mentioned also sound like great options, and like I said, it's great to have options!

https://www.airgundepot.com/umarex-origin-pcp-air-rifle.html

Skip hand pumps all together, find a local fill station and get a bottle. 

with time, get a good compressor.

There’s a lot to be gained with buying from your home country. Especially considering world situations. There’s also a lot to be gain with buying a simpler, well made gun. Easier to fix, and maintain. Also parts are easier to get. And if need be machine them yourself 

Worked at Indian Summer apple cider plant. We made Indian Summer, A&P, and Kroger apple cider. All from the same batches the only difference being the labels on the bottles. The Indian Summer cider was the most expensive and often all three could be found in the same store. I could never convince people that all three brands were the same thing, they swore Indian summer tasted better (because it cost more?) Are we the same with our airguns?

Last edited: