Most accurate PCP repeater .22 air gun...?

I'm looking to hit small targets less than 100 feet away mostly, mainly squirrels and chipmunks. I'm in an isolated farm house, with no neighbors to worry about, and can actually leave something set up in my spare storage room with the window open (so I can set up a bench rest type thing and leave everything there).

I'm looking for the most accurate PCP rife, I'm new to these and realize the price can spiral to no end but for the distance I'm looking for, what would be some of the best choices that people with experience would recommend? I was looking at a break barrel model (Gammo Swarm Magnum .22) but was told that it wouldn't be as accurate as the PCP guns... maybe that was wrong?

Things that are important to me: 

Powerful

Common brand where there are modifications and accessories available

Accuracy

I'm NOT looking for a bargain gun, just the most accurate available before the level where I'm just throwing money away. Once I have something I like, I'll be getting a really good scope for it too.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

I'm looking to hit small targets less than 100 feet away mostly, mainly squirrels and chipmunks. I'm in an isolated farm house, with no neighbors to worry about, and can actually leave something set up in my spare storage room with the window open (so I can set up a bench rest type thing and leave everything there).

I'm looking for the most accurate PCP rife, I'm new to these and realize the price can spiral to no end but for the distance I'm looking for, what would be some of the best choices that people with experience would recommend? I was looking at a break barrel model (Gammo Swarm Magnum .22) but was told that it wouldn't be as accurate as the PCP guns... maybe that was wrong?

Things that are important to me: 

Powerful

Common brand where there are modifications and accessories available

Accuracy

I'm NOT looking for a bargain gun, just the most accurate available before the level where I'm just throwing money away. Once I have something I like, I'll be getting a really good scope for it too.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Hello Basics,

I have two Gamo's and both are very accurate out to 25-yards and they are both .177 cal. I have the Gamo Swarm Maxxim X10 Gen2 and the Swarm Fusion X10 Gen 2. I have not shot them much at 50-yards so have not spent any time adjusting the scope for that distance. At 25-yards I can easily get 8 to 9 out of 10 shots in a 1-inch circle. I believe a multi-shot break barrel would be a good first gun to meet your requirements.

Let me ad that I do not think that a Gamo is the most accurate Break Barrel, so you might do a bit of research on other Brands.

Be safe and have a great day,

ThomasT

At that range, a good spring piston rifle, such as an HW97, will be sufficiently accurate. Any PCP rifle of reputable make will be more than sufficient. Considering the ancillary equipment, I'm not sure you need to spend the money on a PCP rifle. But, if distance might increase, or you want greater accuracy for target use, then the PCP option is a great hobby.

What an unbelievably helpful and active forum! I just posted this an hour ago... I've learned years ago that if you want to be exceptional in a field or at a task, just find a quality forum to go to for research. I have been disappointed the last few years as people seem to have migrated to Facebook groups for questions and discussions, and it's just not the same... so I'm thrilled to see there are still some active forums like this. Such a happy surprise! 

So just a question since it's brought up, what makes PCP's more accurate? Is it the higher FPS or is it that the barrels are one piece and don't move? I would be shooting at 50 feet or less, would most guns (of any type) be super accurate in that range?

by nature a PCP has very little recoil , and one with a good shot count barrel and nice trigger makes for a successful hunt , and lots of fun , a 12ft. pounds at the muzzle air rifle would be nice for shooting inside a barn . wont go through the tin roof etc... for out doors a 22cal with bout upper 20s at the muzzle should work good , if you get too carried away with power you may find the ole wood fence wont stop the pellet and ricochets go much further than you thought they would ! a 22 cal 16gr. pellet leaving the gun at 850-950 for out doors should take squirrels out to 60-70 yds really good ! ive made longer shots , but really 60-70 yds is where that kind of power works real good , if your going to shoot alot and want to really enjoy shooting a little nicer gun if you can afford it , but a 3-400 pcp will do a nice job ! have fun !!!

PCPs aren't necessarily more accurate. PCPs are just easier to shoot accurately. They aren't nearly as hold sensitive as a piston gun which makes it very easy to stack pellets out to 50yds or so. PCPs also have the benefit of allowing for easier, more manageable muzzle energy. 

Stay away from Gamo if you're budget allows it. A $300 Gamo is basically throwing $300 away. An HW50S from Krale in will do the trick very well and last a lifetime. If you can swing it, an HW95 in .22 with a tune kit will do it even better.

As far as PCPs go, I would take a look at the Air Venture Avenger in either .22 or .25. For your use of 35yds and in 22 cal will do the job perfectly well but .25 will give you a bit more pop. Personally I prefer 25

Pretty much any PCP on the market today will be vastly more accurate and significantly more powerful then any springer out there ( yes some shooters are able to be consistently accurate with springers but the average shooter given a PCP and a springer will immediately print much smaller groups with a PCP )

No need to spend a lot of money, 400-700 bucks is plenty.

So just a question since it's brought up, what makes PCP's more accurate? Is it the higher FPS or is it that the barrels are one piece and don't move? I would be shooting at 50 feet or less, would most guns (of any type) be super accurate in that range?

Yes, 50 feet is not a challenge for any decent air rifle of any platform. That said, there is junk available in any platform also. If you want spring piston, I suggest you look at Weihrauch (HW), Diana, and Air Arms. Most folks find PCP rifles much easier to shoot well, but there is a cost. I don't know your budget, but when looking at good quality entry level rifles, you will spend twice as much getting started with a PCP. For me, it's worth every penny, but, it's also my major hobby and I've spent way too much money on it. One last thing, there is a small, but not to be ignored safety factor involved when dealing with high pressure air. When getting started with a PCP, it is always helpful if you can find an experienced shooter to help you along. Have fun. 

At those distances a good springer is fine. Also most PCP guns would be absolutely fine. However if you want a "powerful" PCP say 50 fpe or so you will likely need an air tank you fill at a scuba shop or some kind of air source. An electric compressor that fills your gun would possibly cost 300 on up to thousands. My recommendation to you is that you get a good springer, or buy a less powerful pcp and a hand pump. Now here's the thing a less powerful pcp is still making standard springer power. For example the Benjamin marauder pistol makes 15 fpe. That's my goldilocks power range that I love for springers. It's also very easy to pump up. Another budget option that's regulated is the Benjamin fortitude. Now you absolutely can buy a more powerful rifle for the same cost around 300. The avenger is a common gun recommended here and makes great power. Problem is that it pumps up to 4500 psi. That's hard or impossible to do with a handpump depending on the one you get. The last option is to buy a powerful rifle and a big air tank which costs 800 bucks or so. You can buy smaller tanks for less but I wouldn't. There are several guns that would be easy to pump and make 20 to 30 fpe tho so don't fret! Pm me if you want to go into this further. I can recommend several rifles and show you how to pick out a pump and keep your air dry. 

Don't let yourself get scared away from those that tell you that you need compressor/tank to shoot PCPs or that you need big buck to be into PCPs.

a .22 that shoots 30 some FPE with great accuracy can be found for less then you spend for a quality springer, ad a Handpump and you still under the quality springers price.

been using Handpumps for 15 years and I only have 50+ FPE PCPs and it's not a big deal, with a 30 something FPE PCP you will get a good amount of shot per fill,..........either way you pump a springer every shot or you pump a PCP all at once and then take a bunch of shots.

I can’t believe no one has mentioned this:

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-venturi-avenger-regulated-pcp-air-rifle-pump-kit?m=5509

It’s the Avenger. It puts you right at about $560 but you get a Hill pump that lasts, and is easier to work on than most.

It’s not the “most accurate” but it will hang with some of the better guns that cost more money.

I shoot a Beeman R9 and I absolutely trust this springer. And it’s plenty accurate to 25 yards to kill game, with no regard to your hokd. I would trust it to kill animals out to 50 yards even in the wind but past about 30 yards you really need to pay attention to consistent hold and technique, not as big a deal with a PCP.

I can't answer your question, but here are a few questions that may help others with their answers:

1. How many shots are you thinking you will shoot at a time (day or week)?

Hand pumps get tiring quick if you will be shooting a lot. A PCP that runs at 4000 psi tank pressure compared to one at 3000 PSI are also harder to pump. If you do plan to hand pump then shot count becomes important.

2. Do you have somewhere close to fill a tank or will you need a compressor if you are not going to hand pump?

3. Do you have cross winds most days where you are planning to shoot? If so what mph? More FPE (foot pounds of energy) means less pellet movement from wind generally.

4. Are you mechanically inclined and looking for a rifle that you tune, fix, and work on or are you looking to just buy and shoot with minimum maintenance?

5. If no budget limit, you are planning to only do bench shooting instead of hunting (carrying the gun), and are looking for a tack driver then RAW is a nice rifle. Otherwise, weight and style of rifle becomes an issue.

Ken at SPAW is a good resource to talk to and will answer many questions you have. I am sure others on the forum can make other recommendations for representatives in the industry as well.

Suggestion :

DO NOT BUY A HILL OR ANY EXPENSIVE PUMP !!!!!!

.....today a 50 bucks Amazon pump is just as good or better.

Strongly disagree. Those cheap deals get the job done but thats about it. Half the time they are a crap shoot just to get them working right out of the box. If you can afford quality, get quality.

Well, well I had 8 HILLs and 2 FX pumps in my 15 years of handpumping I now have one China 50 bucks pump that is been going strong for 3 years, all my HILLs developed severe pitting just about immediately, my China pump is spotless, all my Hills needed re-building at least once a year maybe sooner nand a re-build kit used to be 38 bucks + shipping ( basically the price of a new China pump ) my China pump in 3 years only needed the check O-ring changed twice ( 2 minutes job )......and China pumps come with a bunch of spare O-rings for re-building.

I have 3 China pumps sitting brand new in boxes for 3 years, I took one out and put it in service 2 weeks ago and again flawless.

Again, I'm not an expert in much in my life by I think I have a pretty extensive experience in Handpumps and today I would never buy a HILL over a 50 bucks Amazon pump.