Morning break between jobs at the dairy & stockyard…Glimmer and I

My day started at 3 am today and I went to my first job, have the next one in a couple of hours. So during this break I decided to load up my stuff and head to my two permissions.

First the day was again ships weather, but at least not snowing. I knew rain was coming, yes rain, however, I prepared for it and knew Glimmer could handle it. Glimmer is my RTI Prophet Performance Compact with 177 CZ barrel shooting JSB Hades at 885ish FPS. I have had some excellent shots with this set up for a 177, especially in the conditions the last few weeks, but today’s wind pushed Glimmer and the Hades to its 177 limits (for me) anyways.

The conditions especially at the dairy were swampous, and not the good kind you want to wade in. We’ve had a LOT of snow the last couple of weeks, and with the warm up the dairy has a new wading pool. Based off what I know it should be 3 ft at its deepest end, and no I didn’t try the soothing waters. The pool only got half a star on Yelp, so no thank you. See there is even a slip and slide into the deep end. Any other takers?

3ABB5EA2-EDCD-4D51-9900-FDAB5499D137.1641592718.jpeg

One thing was different when I showed up at the dairy, other than the thawing, it was the sense the presence of Pure Evil was there, and there it was, Starlings!!!! Finally, we meet in numbers (them anyways.), but I was ready for mortal combat. Okay, it was not a glorious battle with the Devil’s minions more minor skirmishes, I got a total of 5, 3 unrecoverable on the roof, one I couldn’t find but I saw it drop and then the one below. It was hard to get closer than 40 yards and with the wind of 15-20 mph the poor little hades I am sure was bouncing all around.

D94A9487-CD19-460D-A8A1-65F1F5A97C51.1641593471.jpeg

I missed several easy shots, (at least I am honest), however, sum total was 5 pigeons, a collared dove, and 5 starlings, not too bad for on outing.

I won’t bore you with a bunch of photos of stuff you have seen before. One note, good and bad, good for me, all the pigeons I killed the last 2 weeks at the stockyard (around 20) seemed to respawned, more and more doves too, so bad for farmer.

The winter winds are what I would say are NOT 177 friendly. Next week Francisco is supposed to send me the 22 barrel kit for Glimmer. I am very tempted to put it on and dial it in and see what ammo it likes more, but I have a feeling it will be happy with he Hades. I want to do some slug testing with the 177s but I think I will wait for milder winds.

Also, on note. I did some filming / vlogging today for my upcoming channel. I am still so so about it not having a scope cam.

Yeah, you almost lost me there with that "3:00 A.M. in the morning" line. There's a 3 a.m. in the morning now?? Jeebus, that's early! 

The pic of that "beautiful" snowy/icy/slushy road made me shivver! Also illustrates how determined you are to hunt/pest(or how much you hate birds, lol).

Sounds like you had plenty of action and ended up with a good bag. Good luck with the .177 slugs/ .22 barrel. Slugs were a game changer in my .177. I started shooting/testing slugs in my gun on a windy day when I couldn't hit anything with a pellet. It was surprising how well they performed(and how I could evaluate them), even in strong wind.

Looking forward to the upcoming videos. Keep up the good pesting work on the dairy and for Pete's sake, STAY WARM!!

@Blackpaw Between starting your day at 3 a.m. and going to TWO permissions between jobs, I must say that you are one determined airgunner! Windy days are like that sometimes, but with all of the slush I don’t know how you did it. When you mentioned rain and thawing I thought of liquified cow poop flowing all over the place down the slope in the picture. I can see that you are serious about pesting. I look forward to seeing some of your scopecam footage. 

@donc resurrection / brought back from the dead. 

Yes I went to work at 3:00 am and then back at house at 9:00 am, to dairy by 10:00 am. Back at house at 2:00 pm and job 2 from 5 pm to 9 pm. Just chilling now. 

Next Monday I work both jobs and have two interviews. So no field time. The dairy is 20 minute drive and the owner gives me free reign so it is easy to pop in and out, I just need to text the owner I’m coming. Workers know me and it is a friendly bunch.