More slug testing - .22 Panthera and .22 Uragan II

The wind hasn't quit blowing in the midwest to acceptable testing levels for now more than a month.

Today, if finally let down to 8 to 10 mph and the temps were good, so I pulled out the .22 Panthera 700MM and the Uragan II 700MM to test the Altaros slugs against the Zan 30.5 gr and the H&N Heavy 34 gr slugs. The latter, after extensive tests with about every reputable brand, weight, and diameter heretofore outperformed all of the others by a significant margin.

The Panthera did not like the 31 grain Altaros at all. But the Altaros 40 grain slugs were a different matter. Even in the wind, it shot nice dense 10 shot groups at 83.5 yards, the longest distance I have available at home. One group measured .90" c-t-c with several shots touching. The other measured about 1.12", again with sufficient density no varmint would have made it through. The H&N Heavy Slugs two group average was only slightly over 1". or about 10% larger than with the Altaros. Given that the price of the Altaros is about 3 to 1 the H & N, and the Heavy Slugs design certainly is devastating in terms of expansion, I think that even though the Altaros shoot a little tighter, I will just stay with the H&N Heavy Slugs.

The Uragan II shoots the Zan 30.5's really well, but it shot the Altaros 31 grain slugs even better with one 10 shot group of less than an inch, and a second group that caught some wind gusts stretching out to closer to 1 1/2", but even that group had 5 shots in the same hole. The Altaros groups were about 2/3 the size of the Zan groups.

In the end, no pest of any size would have known the difference on the business end of any of these but it was an interesting test. I am certain if it would have been more calm wind conditions, the results would have been considerably better but the slugs certainly faired better than pellets would have.

I had a good impression of the 31 gr Altaros slugs with my impact m3 .22 700 mm shooting at 930 fps.
follows groups at 100 m.

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-03 at 7.51.41 PM.jpeg

Reactions: bdzjlz