More scrutiny towards the airgun industry??

Status
Not open for further replies.
FX is definitely gaining traction in PB crowd which will bring unwanted attention. It's unavoidable as PCP evolves and getting better and better. Let's enjoy it while we can cause there is alway "that guy" F*&% it up for everyone!
And that’s what happened to Donnie🧐 so it would seem

are you referring to Donnie moderator? if so I hadn't heard.. it's what happened to my favorite airgun design.. brocock tandem cartridges..
Mark
It is well documented on this forum. Somebody put one of his units on a PB and was apprehended…….
Consequently, Donnie FL is prohibited from selling his units in the United States

I think more scrutiny was inevitable once the airgun industry started pushing slugs and building airguns with the capability of pushing them to 22LR power.

If I tell someone I’m shooting a fancy pellet gun they think nothing of it. If I describe it as shooting .22 caliber slugs at near 22LR velocity they would rightly come away with a different impression.

Also, as more people come into the sport it brings some unwanted attention along with it.
Exactly...what he (above) said !

Mike

Reactions: Septicdeath
I am the original poster, I posted a question asking if the gun industry has gone too far. So far only a couple of people have answered that question. All the other posters have inferred political responses.
No the problem is the internet namely YouTube videos with people showing what these Guns can do (kills and long shots and the power) which allows the “other”side to make these out to be bad

Isn't the point to spread awareness about the sport and get people involved so it doesnt die off? lol
Spread awareness yes ! Show videos of squirrels getting their brains blowed out( probably out of season to boot) NO! Even though it is cool it doesn’t need to be on social media in the time that we are in
Instead show grouping at 50,100yards cool looking Guns quietness and how it gets a beginner shooting better than a beginner with a powder burner

Spread awareness yes ! Show videos of squirrels getting their brains blowed out( probably out of season to boot) NO! Even though it is cool it doesn’t need to be on social media in the time that we are in
Instead show grouping at 50,100yards cool looking Guns quietness and how it gets a beginner shooting better than a beginner with a powder burner
Agreed 💯 % airguns are not the red rider BB guns that most of us grew up with.. this sport is an addiction, I got sucked in during covid when powder burner ammo was scarce and found these demon adult air rifles 😀. It’s all about the power game that we all strive to get more power from our air guns, maybe Sigmund Freud was right about us men looking for BIG things to compensate for something 🤔😁, but in reality when is this power game going to stop? Are future rifles going to have 10,000 psi fills and have powder burner ballistics? 🤷‍♂️ I’ll just keep riding this crazy train until I run out of money or in divorce court, whichever comes first 😊

Same argument has been going on for decades, but nothing has happened.

the fact that Airguns ( the more powerful they are the less shoot they have ) don't have that many shots on tap and recharging it's a project in itself will make regulations for them a long, long road.

They can't even really regulate firearms, and let's not forget you can buy muzzleloaders that are way more powerful then airguns online and also black powder pistols.

It's gonna be a long time before Airguns get regulated, a very long time

Last edited:
Same argument has been going on for decades, but nothing has happened.

the fact that Airguns ( the more powerful they are the less shoot they have ) don't have that many shots on tap and recharging it's a project in itself will make regulations for them a long, long road.

They can't even really regulate firearms, and let's not forget you can but muzzleloaders that are way more powerful then airguns online and also black powder pistols.

It's gonna be a long time before Airguns get rulated, a very long time
I agree, when they start banning semi-auto’s(PB’s) in all states, etc… then we should start to worry, we don’t want to get to the point what happend over the pond with our English Allies

Yep, the only thing that is going too far is YouTube “Look at me and what I know” vidiots. Like someone said, those Airforce cannons have been around for a long time but nobody paid attention to the potato gun of the airgun world. FX? Different story. One things for sure. We will find out what happens eventually.

one thing i find intriguing about air gun features and legality is that the biggest "gun nuts" i know are, broadly speaking, unfamiliar with PCP rifles. those i've shown my M2 to make comments like "air guns have come a long way since my time". those who've seen my Donny FL have said things like "how can he have that legally"? there seems to be a vibe among owners of powder burners that because i only own air guns, i must be a felon of some sort.

the only reason i'd suspect that you won't see enhanced regulation as a result of Garand Thumb's video is that the hyper-powerful air guns are obscenely expensive in the initial stages of purchase. this will probably forever limit mass adoption of the hobby. although, i do expect any attempt to clamp down hard on powder burners to eventually filter down to regulation of maximum foot pounds for air guns.

I used to thinks so.. (kinda still do) when it comes to a PCP rifles such as the Pantera for example the initial cost detours most people...not to mention what it cost for a air source to power it up ..
when i talk about air gun prices to my friends they all think i'm stupid for not just giving in and buying something like an AR-10 with 500 rounds of ammo. If I'd bought an AR10 instead, I'd still be ahead in price and terminal ballistics over my air rifle collection. The high power PCPs are for very niche uses.

On the other hand, the mass market guns are all .177 or .22 and limited to about 1,300fps maximum. thankfully, these mass market guns typically lack desirable qualities for harming large critters like human beings. although, i did just see a news report of a bicyclist in LA(?) who was shot in the calf with a pellet pistol in a drive-by event. thankfully again, automatic pellet guns are rare and the pellet caused minimal anatomic damage but does look terrifying on the x-ray.

Last edited:
Reactions: Septicdeath
i jusr meant with this video

Which is precisely why I took a walk along my back 6 acres with my dog and my Atomic XR in hand. I have a right to walk my land with gun in hand. If the neighbors are intimidated, maybe they should get some guns of their own. A lot of these types who are easily intimidated by guns have a disease called Hoplophobia. No matter how pretty you make your boom stick, they will fear it in their irrationality.
Yes the are irrational in there thinking,
Isn't the point to spread awareness about the sport and get people involved so it doesnt die off? lol
Spreading awareness about the sport is one thing. But some of the videos out there show people doing stupid stuff.

Also. I hunt with pellet guns. But would never post me killing a animal. It gets a whole different group of people rallying against our sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.