• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

More scrutiny towards the airgun industry??

Status
Not open for further replies.
LMAO. Airguns more powerful than a .22 has been around since 1778 with the Girandoni air rifle. I just learned about PCP air rifles a couple years ago but found out they have been around for a loooong time. The Girandoni was also a repeater so that is nothing new either. In my opinion, power, semi-auto/full-auto and appearance are not the issue. It's the idiots on YouTube always shooting people shaped targets and talking about how lethal they are that are out of hand. Air rifles are tools for education, practice, competition, pesting and hunting. Just about anything can be lethal (a soft pillow can smother a person) if that's the intent of the user. It's the individual and not the tool that's dangerous.
Air gun more powerful than a .22lr:

1,050 mph=1,540 fps
Baseball is about 145 grams=2,237.69 grain
That adds up to about 11,786.84 fpe

Last edited:
No. politics does not go away, but the site frowns upon political talk. and usually shuts it down.
These issues are critical to the sport or hobby of airgunners - I can However see how some people would feel threatened by the honest discussion(s) necessary to protect and promote sensible policies

Reactions: Smitty911
No…they (government) can’t get rid of the evil black rifles and there is plenty of money and votes to be had behind that. Airguns have no monetary or vote gain so politicians will never care. I apologize to the park rangers for mentioning firearms in a post.
Some states like New Jersey should catch our attention

I have a lot of firearms, all military style semis and bolt action and like firearms for what they are and the history. I shoot airguns (all springers and ssp) for a different reason and don't look at airguns for power. I saw the garand thumb video awhile ago and thought it was clear even though he knows US military firearms pretty well he doesn't know much about air guns and from the video he is only impressed by the power levels, I am sure he would think a tx200 is a weak toy. Unfortunately a lot of people watch his stuff and like someone above said, it's fodder for all the Karen's out there. Sadly, I am sure someday we will be like the UK with power restrictions the way things are going.

I have a lot of firearms, all military style semis and bolt action and like firearms for what they are and the history. I shoot airguns (all springers and ssp) for a different reason and don't look at airguns for power. I saw the garand thumb video awhile ago and thought it was clear even though he knows US military firearms pretty well he doesn't know much about air guns and from the video he is only impressed by the power levels, I am sure he would think a tx200 is a weak toy. Unfortunately a lot of people watch his stuff and like someone above said, it's fodder for all the Karen's out there. Sadly, I am sure someday we will be like the UK with power restrictions the way things are going.
Lets hope it doesn't come to that nonsense. If it does we need to push back, ESPECIALLY here in the states. I hear the nonsense that different states have imposed and it makes me shake my head wondering why people accept it and think its ok. Its VERY clear here in the states and any of those restrictions are a violation and therefore null and void.

Its another reason I want my own property, secluded away, to do as I see fit away from prying eyes.

These issues are critical to the sport or hobby of airgunners - I can However see how some people would feel threatened by the honest discussion(s) necessary to protect and promote sensible policies
Political posts are often driven more by opinion and emotion, than by facts and honesty. There is an old saying about not discussing religion and politics with friends; perhaps that is why they are usually frowned upon on the site.

FX is definitely gaining traction in PB crowd which will bring unwanted attention. It's unavoidable as PCP evolves and getting better and better. Let's enjoy it while we can cause there is alway "that guy" F*&% it up for everyone!
Yup. If it be hot rod cars, airguns, regular firearms, baseball bats, knives, oven mitts, bubble wrap, etc.....there is always that "one" guy.

Political posts are often driven more by opinion and emotion, than by facts and honesty. There is an old saying about not discussing religion and politics with friends; perhaps that is why they are usually frowned upon on the site.
I don't feel this one is about personal opinions of politics. This is something that would directly deal us all a blow to our sport of airgunning. The "political" process of regulating is just a method of a few, who want the masses to obey their will. It is almost impossible to discuss something like this, without getting into the political realm. JMHO.

*** POLITICAL COMMENTARY REMOVED BY MODERATOR***

A mentor used to say that he was grateful to have been born when he was because he got to enjoy the greatest amount of freedom ever given by a government. He was born in 1922 and marched across Europe to Berlin during the war.

J~

Freedom for who? I bet I can name a few million people who might disagree. Grandpa was born in '26, joined the navy in '43 at age 17. I asked him, he said it's all relative

• Haha
Reactions: Treefrog
There is no statement about any subject you can make that will not offend someone.

“I love dark chocolate” will find someone upset about Colombian deforestation to make room for cocoa farms.

Air rifles are still weapons. Just because we use them for fine target skills and ethical pest control doesn’t mean that a huge slice of the world population doesn’t see them as inherently evil.

I won’t go into my own beliefs that ‘designed only to kill people’ powder burners should only be in the hands of the military or confined to ranges for sport shooting. I am well aware that a baseball bat can kill kids in a playground damn near as fast as an AR15.

What we HAVE to do though is be aware that Michigan Mom of Four does not see a target rifle with low FPE - what she sees is a rifle.

I can confidently predict full licensing in the UK inside the next five years regardless of power.

Just be careful folks about how we discuss our sport.

Don’t hand fodder to the uninformed. As voters they outnumber us 1000 to 1, so you know where politicians will swing when there is a call for legislation.

Reactions: crosman2016
Just be careful folks about how we discuss our sport.

Don’t hand fodder to the uninformed. As voters they outnumber us 1000 to 1, so you know where politicians will swing when there is a call for legislation.
This is EXACTLY why I'm a stickler for proper terminology, ESPECIALLY when it comes to suppressors/moderators. If people use the term silencers here, they are using it elsewhere. That WILL bring more scrutiny by the uniformed and worse yet politicians. The very term silencer elicits hollywood style silent death to the uninformed. One of the draws of air rifles is the quietness of them. Too many places are already restricting suppressors. More is coming if we arent careful.

I won’t go into my own beliefs that ‘designed only to kill people’ powder burners should only be in the hands of the military or confined to ranges for sport shooting. I am well aware that a baseball bat can kill kids in a playground damn near as fast as an AR15.
SMH you just did and its TOTALLY uncalled for. You negate your other good points with this nonsense.

If there's one thing I've learned in my couple of decades in the firearms industry, anti-gun fanatics consider all guns a threat. They make no distinction between air or powder. They want all guns gone. A total ban on everything is their ultimate goal.
Sadly too true. Or they only want it in the military or police. Those that do show they have no clue about history and see what has been done time and time again through the ages.

The money involved will keep them looking for things to be outraged about. I would have been involved with this hobby long ago had I known about it. As the sport becomes more popular the more y'all should worry more about the gun grabbers wanting to restrict you for "common sense". After all the UK air gunners are just fine with sub 12 foot pounds (and your knife looks a little on a the pointy side while we are talking about it)

The money involved will keep them looking for things to be outraged about. I would have been involved with this hobby long ago had I known about it. As the sport becomes more popular the more y'all should worry more about the gun grabbers wanting to restrict you for "common sense". After all the UK air gunners are just fine with sub 12 foot pounds (and your knife looks a little on a the pointy side while we are talking about it)
Many to most uk air gunners are not ok with sub12ft lbs. I sure as heck wouldnt be. Many of them have facs for more capability or wish they could play with the good guns.

Reactions: L.Leon
Many to most uk air gunners are not ok with sub12ft lbs. I sure as heck wouldnt be. Many of them have facs for more capability or wish they could play with the good guns.
I believe this 100%, however the gun control groups love to compare the UK restrictions of freedom with the lack of them here in the states.

Status
Not open for further replies.