• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

More questions from a man waiting for his first pcp to arrive

Dear Friends,

There is a lot of equipment to gather if I want to get the most satisfaction from this new sport. The AGT Uragan has been ordered, as has been an sfp 6-24x50 scope and a 106 cubic foot, 4,500 psi carbon fiber tank. I am fortunate in that I live only 15 minutes away from a scuba shop that is familiar with dealing with the needs of pcp air rifle owners. Top offs of the tank will be $10.00. I don't anticipate ever having to have many of these due to the great shot count from the Uragan's huge tank and the large capacity HPA fill tank I have ordered.

My question of the moment has to do with when the rifle and scope arrive. The scope is supposed to arrive Sunday. When I finish this posting I will be ordering an Eagle Vision INS-30 2-piece, 30mm set of rings with a bubble level. Also, I will be ordering a patch worm kit, with Ballistol and extra patches of appropriate sizes for that first removal of the grease new rifle barrels arrive with as a rust preventative. What I would like to know is what different members find suitable as a rest for doing work on their rifles. I have observed different You Tubers using a Caldwell Stinger rest. In fact, I saw one man using is for both its primary purpose as a shooting rest, and also as a platform on a table inside (with a towel over it) for cleaning (rifle mounted upside down) and, I suppose other minor work, such as mounting a scope. One platform that was not too heavy to transport would seem handy and cost-effective. Or, would a gun vise of some sort be wiser for the gun work? This is all new to me. I really don't anticipate a lot of work being done to the rifle. Perhaps, if I felt the need to reach out a bit further for those woodchucks I would like to hunt (or simply for an even larger shot count), I might decide upon changing over to a larger plenum. I looked up a site reviewing the Stinger rest and there were a couple of somewhat negative comments, usually having to do with putting it together (some from tabs being weak, I believe). What has been your experience with this rest or what have you garnered in opinions from your exploration of forums or reviews? Is it a good shooting rest for such an air rifle as I am getting? And, would it be adequate for such things as scope installation and a bit of other work in the future? Or, should I not try to cut corners and get an adequate gun vise. I also had considered a Tipton Gun Butler for the inside working on the rifle, which I also have seen others using. The minor quibble about that seems to be that the front and rear parts that hold the rifle can come out of the channel they are sitting in when you remove the rifle. A bit of due diligence and experience should take care of that. Now, to order the mounts and cleaning equipment.

So you know, using a rest such as the Stinger from the bench is an attempt to remove myself from the accuracy potential my testing will reveal. After this phase, I would move to the bipod I will be ordering, with a Protektor Rabbit Ear rest at the rear (the one with the tough bottom). This second step of bench shooting will reveal a little more of "me". The Uragan is supposed to have a very good trigger. From my days as a powder burner and bench rest competitor (22-250), I learned the importance, not just of having a fine trigger in the rifle, but in my discipline in being consistent in pulling it the same each time. That is why I had seriously considered the Taiwan Veteran.

One other thought. Is it worth it to opt for the fx chronograph mk ii when all I can see is the new device for clamping it to the end of the rifle barrel? With the long bottle, I don't even know if it would work on the Uragan. So, the original (with rubber bands or mini tripod) or the mk ii?

Thank you for your kind and informed comments.

Yours,

pcwannabe

Check with your dive shop because you may find they can only fill to 3000 psi . It's not a major issue but you may not get the full benefit of your 4500 psi tank. The highest psi I've seen in hpa compressors for airguns is 300 bar which will give you 4350 psi. A lot of dive shops don't go that high and only fill to 3000 psi. But at 10 bucks a fill that's still a ton of shooting compared to buying your own compressor.