More Patchworm Patches

Hey guys, I know there are other methods to clean a barrel and that people use string trimmer line for a makeshift patchworm line and you can tie a regular string up with a loop at the end to hold a rectangular patch but alternate cleaning methods is not the subject here.

I have run out of the circular patches that came in my big patchworm kit (both dry and Ballistol soaked), I tried using the Allen Brand Patches but when I poke the patchworm line through the Allen patch and go to use it, the line just opens up the poked hole and the line goes through leaving the patch at the breech...

So my question is this:

Anyone know a different patch I could use that won't tear off when pulling it through? If only the actual patchworm brand patches work, then where do I get more of those?

I have a cleaning rod but I like the patchworm design because I don't have to go from the muzzle end like the rod, even though that works well with the Allen patches (slide rod down gently, put patch on at breech, pull back gently with patch on).

Just good strong leather/harness thread and common everyday store bought patches .

patchworm.jpg

A spool off amazon like $6 and near lifetime supply of patch pulling vord..

Reactions: fishing43
Or you can get makeup removal patches from walgreens or cosmetic stores. They come in a tube of about 80. Probably cheaper than buying from gun store markups. They are thick cotton style.
How in the world did you discover this... I thought I was bad about walking though a store and see things out of the ordinary that would make for some good airgun related stuff 🤣

Hey guys, I know there are other methods to clean a barrel and that people use string trimmer line for a makeshift patchworm line and you can tie a regular string up with a loop at the end to hold a rectangular patch but alternate cleaning methods is not the subject here.

I have run out of the circular patches that came in my big patchworm kit (both dry and Ballistol soaked), I tried using the Allen Brand Patches but when I poke the patchworm line through the Allen patch and go to use it, the line just opens up the poked hole and the line goes through leaving the patch at the breech...

So my question is this:

Anyone know a different patch I could use that won't tear off when pulling it through? If only the actual patchworm brand patches work, then where do I get more of those?

I have a cleaning rod but I like the patchworm design because I don't have to go from the muzzle end like the rod, even though that works well with the Allen patches (slide rod down gently, put patch on at breech, pull back gently with patch on).
Patchworm sells replacement packs and they are cheap .

How in the world did you discover this... I thought I was bad about walking though a store and see things out of the ordinary that would make for some good airgun related stuff 🤣
My wife went to hairdresser school and gets a discount at those supply stores so she icked me up some. I also grabbed a cheap replacement mop head to use the braided rope sections for pull through cleaning. Make sure it is mostly cotton.

Reactions: Jasonmc
This is all great information guys!!! I appreciate all who suggested places to get more cleaning patches be it straight from patchworm or a different material or site.

I work in an accounting center that uses those adding machines. Would you believe that the roll of paper those print on is wound around a plastic tube with fins on the diameter that just perfectly fit around the carbon fiber tube I put on my Avenger barrel and then used some metal duct tape to make a snug fit to the ID of my shroud?? Haha When people like us who always think about ways to tinker and improve things see something like that, we always have to give it a go. Worked out for me! Since it isn't solid cause of the fins, the air still goes through the shroud to help quiet it down but the barrel is well supported in there with my 4 adding machine tubes :p
20230523_212903.jpg20230506_173107.jpg

I bought a bag of patchworm patches at the Ohio airgun show last week. But I was out of them during the winter so I just took some good quality flannel patches and cut them into approximately 3/4” squares. I use a very sharp scratch awl to pre-poke a starter hole right smack in the center.
I have never had one rip through as I was pulling on them in my .22 Crown.