• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

More for the glass than the gun.

Just bought the Hawke Airmax 30 sf and am waiting for my rings to come in. Its going on my .22 disco. Im sure the scope will outperform the gun but i'm now saving for an FX. Ill update in a couple of days with some grouping pics. I'm shooting about and 1.5" at 50 yards with a BSA scope. I'm hoping to get that down to about a half inch. I'm wondering if I will need a new gun to get tighter groups at this point. 

Thoughts?

If you want the tightest groups, pick your day to shoot-wind will mess with you! Try different pellets to see what groups best and inspect the skirts for defects. If you really like your Disco you can add a Gen 1 Marauder trigger group which can be tuned to for a very light yet predictable pull. The rest should also be solid. I really like the way the Disco uses very little pressure making it practical for filling with a scuba tank. I eventually sold mine and got a couple Marauders.

Sounds like your gun is shooting OK but mine is shooting a little tighter at fifty. I think my scope is a little better than the BSA though. Your Hawke scope should tighten up your groups some. I don't know what pellets you are using but for my disco out of the JSBS 18.1 Crosman HP's and the Crosman piranhas the piranhas shot the best and most consistantly. Just a suggestion if you are trying to get the most out of your gun. Mines averaging about .75 IN groups at fifty. Good luck with your gun and shoot staight.

My 2 cents is this .With most of the budget guns it's a huge crap shoot as to accuracy . It's identical with powder burners as most of us have seen . I had a Marauder and sunk more money in it than I care to remember and regardless of how much I did , and money spent ...It was still a Marauder and while there are guys with the odd freaky accurate ones . It's the exception not the rule . I would say 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards is not bad with a Discovery. Enjoy it for what it is , and clean it really well and oil it up so it won't rust when you get your Cricket ...You won't want to shoot it after that lol....I sold my Marauder and 2 AirArms within 24 hours of getting my Cricket the first day :)

BlakeCowen,

I've bought, tried, and sold several scopes from Optisan / Hawke / Burris, etc. My current scopes are now about half the price of the gun on which they are mounted. I'm finicky on scopes though, and was used to shooting though top end Leopold's on my powder burners. If I hadn't got used to Leopold glass, I probably would have been perfectly happy with Optisan / Hawke / Burris / etc scopes.

I've bought another less expensive scope to try this weekend on a new gun I have on the way. Fingers crossed, but I am guessing I'll be offering that for sale at a loss then get the better scope again a week or so later.

Finally got it mounted and shot. I'm getting roughly 1" groups at 50 yards prone with a bipod. Love the scope! Very clear and really like chair gun. Very nice program. I'm shooting the benjamin discovery pellets which I believe are just crossman rebranded 14.3 grain hunting pellets. I bought some JSB jumbo diabolo 15.89g and am going to give them a try. Love it for taking out starling which like to try and get in my roof. 

I have tried/used a 'cheap' Hawke (yuck), have a Bushnell Elite 3200 (yumm), Sightron SIII ($$$) and a MTC Genesis. The Bushnell is made in Japan and has the sharpest optics but its reticle is more for powder hunting. The SIII is a better air rifle scope for benchrest, super precise, fine point target crosshair. My MTC is the best eye relief of all and I would say is clearest of them all too, of these three limited scopes I have. I do want to try an Athlon first focal plane scope. Bottom line, a poope scope makes for a poor shooting experience. Optics are like cars, they all do one job, some are way more enjoyable to use though.

Good luck with the Hawke. I love mine, 1" tube airmax 3-9. I get better groups than you with my disco, 5/8 - 3/4 average with occaisional 1/4" but, shooting from a bench with sand bags front and rear. I'm thinking if you had that thing on a nice bench totally supported you would do better. Also, like KYAirgunner, mine likes the JSB 18 grains. Just getting the tune where I want and now pellet testing and it can make a huge difference. I think the gun might be more accurate than you think. Good luck, my friend!

I keep trying the scopes in $500 and under range but they just don't stack up to the $1000-$1500 scopes that I'm used to on my target and hunting (powder) rifles.

I bought a Hawke Optics 8-32x50 AO Airmax 30 SF with the etched glass AMX reticle and a Nikko Sterling Targetmaster 10-50x60 hoping I'd like them enough to not have to buy more Nikko Sterling Diamond 10-50x60 Sportsman scopes. Both the Hawke and Targetmaster are good scopes, but the don't stand up to the Diamond Sportsman line.

So, just bought two more Diamond Sportsmans and the Hawke and Nikko Targetmaster are going up for sale (like $375 each).

I keep looking for a bargain priced good quality scope and best I can find for money is the lower lowered versions . You start jumping up in magnification over say 12 power and the limits of the scope and lenses really jump out at you . I know there are guys who swear they have a 200$ 24 power scope that is so clear you can see the future in ....Well I haven't seen that particular animal .