• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

More Bracketing Questions

I have a AirMax30SF and compete in HFT with a AA Prosport. 

First is it 10 or 12 power that it's, I guess the word is, "calibrated" for or for it's reticle to be 3.6" from center mildot to center of next mildot at 100yds?

Secondly, after finding if it's either 10 or 12 power to be true at 100yds, for argument sake, say it's 10x. Well at 25yds, it should measure .90"? And what is the closest ruler marking for .90"? 7/8"? Or should I use 23mm? 

Now for bracketing. If a brick is 7.2 inches and it spans 2mil at 100yds, does that mean 4mil at 50yds and 8mil at 25yds? At the 10 or 12 power the Airmax is true at. 

If so to all of the above,then what would it be on 16 power? Reason I'm asking is because at the moment, since I moved to Delaware,I only have access to 25yds. I will hopefully be able to continue my range card for 30yds and beyond in the near future but just for bracketing sake.

Hopefully I am making sense with all this. Looking forward to seeing your feedback.

Cross posted

Easy way:

Set the scope at the exact magnification that you intend to use.

Put the object (block, KZ, target, etc.) that you want to measure at 25 yards and count the hash marks accurately across the object.

At 50yrds it will then be 1/2x (25yds/50yds) as many hash marks.

At 10yd it will then be 2.5x (25yds/10yds) as many has marks.

Use the same process for any object or distance. The scope measures distances from the magnification ring on the scope, not from the muzzle, and that matters on close shots.

For FT, start by focus range finding. If there is no bracket worthy feature for that target, stick with the focus range. If there is a bracket worthy feature, and you have high confidence in it, use the bracket distance estimate. Otherwise, you can use the bracket as a verification for your focus range.

When we were restricted to 12x in Hunter division, bracketing could provide a significant advantage over focus range finding. Not quite as much of an advantage over 16x focus range finding, but still good to use.