• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

More 75 yard EBR practice

Took out the .30 Bobcat Mk2 for some practice this morning. Shot some at 75 and some at 95 yards. Did one “official” 75 yard target, 4 shots per target except lower left with 5 for an official 25 shot card. Could be better. Approx 228-3x in 6 mph winds gusting to 10, no sighters except one prior to first shot. Honestly still not happy, going to reduce reg pressure down 5 bar more. Its close to in tune, but not quite. From 95 yards shot 4 shots in each of the 3 targets in second photo (walked back without table and chair, just quick 12 shots prone), before packing up and heading home to tackle the “honey do” list. Last photo is shooting set up.

1567965751_19847131695d754237611143.32644325_A61617A9-9BF5-4E6B-AF57-AA12B18EEE7A.jpeg

1567965549_5521264345d75416d2658a8.34824374_EC6E7754-CA7D-4DC8-90CD-0D2C7D7689DE.jpeg

1567965594_4479358735d75419a96ada4.64075482_F5540177-BC95-4413-94FB-0A77A562B929.jpeg
1567965595_4280409765d75419bcb48f9.40823983_20074E70-5915-465E-8298-7F577552F970.jpeg

Thanks Fuss, not there yet but getting closer. Hard to pull that trigger without sighters when you get used to that security blanket... ;)

I think those twelve 95 yard shots were almost as good as the 75 because I shot them prone and was under the wind for a portion of the pellets flight... that’s my story and I’m sticking to it! 

Looks like some great shooting to me Mike! You're serious about EBR. Have you ever considered building a specific benchrest chassis for your rig? it may sound odd, but it absolutely will shrink your group sizes even further. I'd gladly help you if you are interested.

That sounds like a very good idea. Too late now for October, but for RMAC next year that would be great. Thanks. 

Nice shooting! There seems to be an occasional flyer in some of your targets on this thread and also on your previous thread. I wonder if you have noticed if there is a correlation on which shot, of the string, is the flyer? I wonder if it’s the first shot by chance? If so, wonder if you have shot similar strings, with similar results, over a chrono and noticed any abnormalities in the velocity of that particular shot / flyer? Not trying to be negative but merely posing questions that maybe helpful in your EBR quest.

@igolfat8, you could be right. Like I’ve been saying there is something just not right it like it was before. I can only see one on this post that I’d consider a “flyer”, the low shot on the left 95 yard target and maybe the low-ish shot on the bottom left 75 yard target. It one holes at 50 yards so I think I need to shoot with the FX Radar Chrony next time to see if they correlate. Ok f course at 75 and especially 100 yards wind drafts can unexpectedly affect the POI. The previous post was shot with two different guns. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Those groups and targets look good!, keep in mind that portable bench isn’t making things easier for your shooting?, but you brought up a very interesting point, that your last targets were from prone... very stable shooting style!, I’m remembering an earlier conversation about a comp. similar to an F-class style shoot at long range with no or limited sighters(maybe a spotter you anonymously get paired with the day of event?) something to think about? anyway good shooting and good luck!

Those groups and targets look good!, keep in mind that portable bench isn’t making things easier for your shooting?, but you brought up a very interesting point, that your last targets were from prone... very stable shooting style!

Thanks. Yes, that table is kinda wobbly. The prone shots from 95 yards are 12 shots with an average score of 8.9, so if I’d have performed the same for 25 shots that equates to approx. 223. Not bad, sometimes I’m too hard on myself. ;)

I can see the trouble, that pink ribbon is pulling your shot LOL. Nice shooting. Question are wind flags allowed? When PBer BR there was a forest of them. When wind settled to what ever looked constant everyone ripped their competition shots.

Yes, wind flags are allowed but not that many 100 yard BR shooters use them since unlimited sighters are allowed. We generally don’t “read the wind”, we just shoot sighters until we have confidence the next target shot will go where we intend... I was trying something different today and attempting to read the wind and shoot without sighters. I know I post about EBR, RMAC, and shooting target competition, which is great fun, but I'm primarily a hunter.

No sighters when trying to head shot a ground squirrel or rabbit at 125 yards... Look at my last video in the Hunting forum. .22 caliber, 51 yards doesn't seem that hard, right? But throw in a squirrel that has already seen me, and won't wait more than another second or two, shooting from the sun into the shade, through a chain link fence about ten yards from the target, the only part of the squirrel visible is the eyes and top part of his head, wind from the left about 5 mph, and you have a harder than sitting at a bench and shooting challenge... The sound of that thunk of pellet on skull is totally addicting, to me it sounds like a baseball bat hitting a ripe watermelon. ;)

Yes, wind flags are allowed but not that many 100 yard BR shooters use them since unlimited sighters are allowed. We generally don’t “read the wind”, we just shoot sighters until we have confidence the next target shot will go where we intend...

REALLY ? Before getting into air rifles, I shot a lot of powder burners and have been taught to TARGET shoot for score requires wind flags, when its windy, to win. Just helped with a national powder burner match last weekend 100 and 200 yards, and just about every shooter used wing flags. The OVERALL winner, as well as those top shooters behind him ALL used win flags to win. SO... to read that 100 yard BR air rifle shooters don't read the win or use wind flags, just baffles me. Where I shoot is generally windy all the time, and our motto is," the wind is my friend, blow wind blow." so we try to learn to read the wind. Many of those who shot the powder burner match complained about the wind, but the wind both days was generally way less than usual for our range. The overall winner and I shoot a lot together and ALWAYS use wind flags shooting our air rifles. It will be interesting to see how others shoot at EBR, in the wind, accurately, without the use of wind flags.

I'm with you... But listen to what one of the most successful airgun shooters of the past couple of years says about shooting at 100 yards in the wind in his own words...

at approx. 7:50 in the video. Doesn't mean I agree totally, but there are certain times like at RMAC where wind flags are useless...

https://youtu.be/IfJp206pgGM

Not to hijack your post CC, but I figured I would throw in my 75 yard practice for EBR today. 100 shots. The bull on the swinger is 1.25, the size of 9 10 ring at EBR. Playing the weird wind coming thru the trees in the orchard, maybe 3 to 8 mph switching a little. 

Red wolf 22hp, 25 gr redesigned around 960ish. Shooting off a bipod and costco folding table sitting in a camp chair. No sorting of pellets straight out of the tin, I didn't even look at them before I threw them in the tray and shot them. Working my single loading manipulation. 

Dave

1568942192_5487802775d84287051bf04.31410434_20190919_180507.jpg
1568942222_18771953365d84288ea0e4b1.64793033_20190919_180533.jpg