Monstrum Marksman G2 3X Prism Scope

I thought since I'd jumped on the bandwagon and bought a Notos, I'd go whole hog and get a prism sight and try it out. In over 50 years of shooting, this is my first prism. I don't like red dots because of my slight astigmatism causing the dot to flare a bit. Not bad but annoying, so I thought the prism might be a good deal.
First the spec, it's 3X with a circle dot reticle, and an advertised 5.5-6.0 eye relief.
I mounted it on the Notos, in the back rail, behind the side lever, and I must say, eye relief is perfect, and not fussy at all. After all the hoopla over finicky eye boxes on prisms I was a bit concerned, but this thing is great. It's just picky enough, that i'm guessing parallax is not much of a problem. I shot a 3 shot 1" group in the cold wind today, before I gave up to come it to get warm. Clarity is very, very good, even close up. I looked at a maple tree around 8 yards away and it was clear, and then at 15 yards my bradford pear tree, the bark was crystal clear, and with fantastic detail. At 35 yards it's also very clear, no complaints at all there. The circle dot reticle is great and maybe just a hair too big, but not a lot, it's highly usable. As far as the build and utility of it, it's a 100% on that.

Now, for the downside, which isn't much.
First is the turret adjustments, they're not hand adjustable, and even though they're positive, you need something to turn them, and the turret caps work well for this, but it's not the best idea for a pellet rifle. Also, there's not much ability to reset them for different distances. I'm thinking of making off some distances and making small notches on the turret ring to move to different yardages. Which brings me to another gripe, related to this. I love the circle dot, but there really needs to be some more aiming points so that you can use it for other distances and then the turret problem would be somewhat lessened. If the reticle and turrets were changed, this would be a KILLER prism sight for airguns.

I'm going to look around for a prism that has a different reticle setup and see what I can find, I've seen some expensive ones with finger adjustable turrets but didn't look at the reticle or eye relief. Given time, I think these things will evolve to a fanstastic idea for airguns.

I thought since I'd jumped on the bandwagon and bought a Notos, I'd go whole hog and get a prism sight and try it out. In over 50 years of shooting, this is my first prism. I don't like red dots because of my slight astigmatism causing the dot to flare a bit. Not bad but annoying, so I thought the prism might be a good deal.
First the spec, it's 3X with a circle dot reticle, and an advertised 5.5-6.0 eye relief.
I mounted it on the Notos, in the back rail, behind the side lever, and I must say, eye relief is perfect, and not fussy at all. After all the hoopla over finicky eye boxes on prisms I was a bit concerned, but this thing is great. It's just picky enough, that i'm guessing parallax is not much of a problem. I shot a 3 shot 1" group in the cold wind today, before I gave up to come it to get warm. Clarity is very, very good, even close up. I looked at a maple tree around 8 yards away and it was clear, and then at 15 yards my bradford pear tree, the bark was crystal clear, and with fantastic detail. At 35 yards it's also very clear, no complaints at all there. The circle dot reticle is great and maybe just a hair too big, but not a lot, it's highly usable. As far as the build and utility of it, it's a 100% on that.

Now, for the downside, which isn't much.
First is the turret adjustments, they're not hand adjustable, and even though they're positive, you need something to turn them, and the turret caps work well for this, but it's not the best idea for a pellet rifle. Also, there's not much ability to reset them for different distances. I'm thinking of making off some distances and making small notches on the turret ring to move to different yardages. Which brings me to another gripe, related to this. I love the circle dot, but there really needs to be some more aiming points so that you can use it for other distances and then the turret problem would be somewhat lessened. If the reticle and turrets were changed, this would be a KILLER prism sight for airguns.

I'm going to look around for a prism that has a different reticle setup and see what I can find, I've seen some expensive ones with finger adjustable turrets but didn't look at the reticle or eye relief. Given time, I think these things will evolve to a fanstastic idea for airguns.

I have a couple of older Monstrum 3x prisms. Both are very short eye relief so I was surprised to see the listed eye relief of yours as 5.5+ inches.

You feel that's an accurate measurement for the eye relief?

I have a couple of older Monstrum 3x prisms. Both are very short eye relief so I was surprised to see the listed eye relief of yours as 5.5+ inches.

You feel that's an accurate measurement for the eye relief?

Just received my second Monstrum Marksman 3X with a different dot, which is smaller at 2MOA (instead of 3MOA on the other) and it's also a fine sight. The dot doesn't seem smaller by much, but I think it is. I'll have to get them out and look at both at the same time, but it works great, so I don't really care if it is or not. These are great sights for a lightweight rifle shooting at close to medium distances. I've shot it at 50 yards at plastic bottles and it works great. These would be great for a .22LR also, in case anyone is interested. For a pellet rifle it's the bomb. I think I gave $89 for the first one with the "circle dot" reticle, and this one has the "DX1" reticle, which is a box with a dot, not much different.
I only wish they made an affordable prism with finger adjustable turrets, that you could dial in distance, but I'm getting used to using the dot and judging holdover/under, and really without much problem at all. That's why I say something like a .22lr which is much flatter shooting, would be perfect also.

Reactions: Scouty
Just received my second Monstrum Marksman 3X with a different dot, which is smaller at 2MOA (instead of 3MOA on the other) and it's also a fine sight. The dot doesn't seem smaller by much, but I think it is. I'll have to get them out and look at both at the same time, but it works great, so I don't really care if it is or not. These are great sights for a lightweight rifle shooting at close to medium distances. I've shot it at 50 yards at plastic bottles and it works great. These would be great for a .22LR also, in case anyone is interested. For a pellet rifle it's the bomb. I think I gave $89 for the first one with the "circle dot" reticle, and this one has the "DX1" reticle, which is a box with a dot, not much different.
I only wish they made an affordable prism with finger adjustable turrets, that you could dial in distance, but I'm getting used to using the dot and judging holdover/under, and really without much problem at all. That's why I say something like a .22lr which is much flatter shooting, would be perfect also.

There was a rumor that the Element version of the 5x30 Pro prism was going to have an exposed elevation turret and capped windage, but they are both capped.

However, between the Immersive and Element versions, there are five holdover reticle options. All have side focus.

The Hawke 4x and 6x prisms have BDC reticles. Short eye relief.

Primary Arms has prism scopes with holdover reticles. Many choices. I believe both the 3x and 5x Micro Prisms come with the Griffin reticle, which I believe is their only non-BDC choice. [EDIT] Looks like there are other non-BDC reticles. Not sure which are options in the 3x and 5x respectively.

The 3x and 5x don't have much eye relief as I recall.

I have 1x and 2x prisms from PA and one thing I really like about them is the different base heights that are included.

By the way, none of the options I listed above are in the price range of the Monstrum prisms.

Last edited: