• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Monster just landed... Matador R5 .30 cal

Thanks guys! And I know R3M’s trigger is good. Used to gave R3 as I said.

Still need to wait till Wednesday for shooting (no time) but I managed to take another shot with my camera. Man, I like that look of R5 with the new scope... 

r5_leaves_web.jpg

OK... there is time for photos, time for tuning, but also time for actual shooting. And last days was mainly shooting for me. As I mentioned I upgraded in couple of areas, and each one brought positive effect in the end. First of all I selected my pellets - both visually and also weighted them all. And the weighted / selected pellets were put into full-foam lined container to avoid any damage. And of course upgraded my scope from Vortex 3-9x40 Tactical (very good glass) to 6-24x Viper HST, which changed a lot! And last but not least I also built way more solid shooting stand out of sand bags (added side bags to stabilise R5 side-to-side). So I tried to eliminate any variable factor I was able to. And here's my stand now:

r5_jan18_web-1.jpg

And the results.

r5_jan18_web-2.jpg

That 'opened' group on the right is 31mm edge-to-edge (24mm c-t-c) and the tightest group was just above 21mm edge-to-edge (so about 14mm c-t-c). So even if we exclude that crazy tight group of the day as "the lucky one" (it must have been a lucky group, I’m not that good... but it's still there) that R5 with good scope and selected/weighted pellet can potencially group pellets at hair below 1" at 100m (which is 109 yards to be exact). Off the sandbags of course. 

r5_jan18_web-3.jpg

I think it's all I need in .30 cal airgun. Now what I DO NEED is even more range time and more pellets through my Matador. MOA is good enough for me. 

And last but not least - field picture for you, winter came here, finally!

r5_jan18_web-4.jpg

Cheers!

"zx10wall"Picture quality doesn’t get much better and that accuracy is awesome. What part of the world are you in, Poland?
Poland, indeed. Not a bad place at all for airgunners.

Airguns, like anything else, are subject to personal judgement. But for me that R5 looks just amazing. I like that 'gun look' muscular aesthetics a lot, can't hide it. And it's so shootable as well. What about one more pic:

r5_jan18_2_web.jpg

Your opinion may vary, of course.

Indeed, my minimum range for R5 is 50y, I don’t shoot at all at closer distances. And usually I shoot at 100y as that’s the real fun for me and that’s why I shoot R5 at all. You can easily shoot at 25y but you’d need to lower the mag to 6x or 8x at best. Certainly not at 24x at 25y distance. So if you plan to shoot 25y (or less) on regular bases (like for hunting) I’d rather check some other options with closer minimum focus distance.