Monopod, Tripod or Bipod recommendation for a Spring Gun

I am thinking of making or buying some shooting sticks/bipod or a tripod for my HW95 for target shooting while camping, and for hunting ground squirrels and pests around my farm. My accuracy is much better with a good rest, I use to be a good shot off hand with my 10-22, but need to improve on that perishable skill.

I saw some shooting sticks make from the plastic garden stakes the home improvement stores sell which would be a cheap option. I really like the Primos trigger stick line for quick adjustment. I realize I will likely have to rest my hand on top of the sticks for a proper artillery hold on the gun. I looked at the Primos monopod which would be a great walking stick while hiking, but question is it is stable enough for shooting off of. The Bipod looks good and may be easier to walk with than the tripod, but I know the tripod would be more stable on my home range, for blind hunting, and set up for prairy dogs with my pellet gun and/or 10-22, or .243.

I want something I can hike around with, quick to deploy, and maybe using it as a walking stick; yet be able to shoot off of it for a bit more stability. I appreciate any advise and experiences with the range of shooting sticks which work with springers, and what has worked for you.

I have made several pairs of these- http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm they're easy to build and inexpensive. I like the feel of wood and leather. I use stick on Velcro to hold them together while hiking and a piece of paracord for a carry strap. Warning! They will spoil you and your offhand shooting skills may fade from lack of practice. Most springer shooters put the gun in thefork somewhere near the barrel pivot, you'll have to experiment to see what works best for you. Here's a pair I made:

I added a leather strap to cradle the stock, don't really use it that much though it did help when shooting a springer.

I have not been on Varmint Al's website in years! funny, I had forgotten about his sticks. When I first started coyote hunting I made a small pair until I got a Harris bi-pod. Your sticks look good John, I do like the look of wood and leather.

I also do a lot of walking while hunting and really like the idea of the monopod. I find the monopod shakier than the bipod or tripod, but then again I am only shooting out to 40-50 yards with my airgun. I saw their little walking stick waver on the box I looked at. I thought the legal-eze was funny but we live in a litigious society, I can see the monopod not being weight bearing for mountaineering or backpacking, but for a stroll in the woods no doubt it would work fine.

EMrider, do you shoot off your hand or off the rubber yolk?

Decision, decisions. I am thinking the monopod may be the way to go for hiking and looking for ground squirrels, and then making a set of the bipods for those occasions I am more stationary or blind hunting. I like the quick adjust of the Primos trigger sticks, as the ground squirrels and cottontails do not wait around long for a guy to set up a full tripod. It is also nice being able to shoot standing up, and not having to kneel or sit down in the tall grass and lava rock where I live. Also the height would work well for tree squirrels in the fall.

"FishNChips"I have not been on Varmint Al's website in years! funny, I had forgotten about his sticks. When I first started coyote hunting I made a small pair until I got a Harris bi-pod. Your sticks look good John, I do like the look of wood and leather.

I also do a lot of walking while hunting and really like the idea of the monopod. I find the monopod shakier than the bipod or tripod, but then again I am only shooting out to 40-50 yards with my airgun. I saw their little walking stick waver on the box I looked at. I thought the legal-eze was funny but we live in a litigious society, I can see the monopod not being weight bearing for mountaineering or backpacking, but for a stroll in the woods no doubt it would work fine.

EMrider, do you shoot off your hand or off the rubber yolk?

Decision, decisions. I am thinking the monopod may be the way to go for hiking and looking for ground squirrels, and then making a set of the bipods for those occasions I am more stationary or blind hunting. I like the quick adjust of the Primos trigger sticks, as the ground squirrels and cottontails do not wait around long for a guy to set up a full tripod. It is also nice being able to shoot standing up, and not having to kneel or sit down in the tall grass and lava rock where I live. Also the height would work well for tree squirrels in the fall.
I just rest my hw97 on the yoke. Works very well. I hunt groung squirrels and rabbits and do a LOT of walking on most hunts. The monopod is light and easy to carry.

R

I went and cut a piece of closet rod to see how I liked the monopod style, I found I really struggled with keeping the gun steady. I can hold the gun steadier off hand than I can on the bipod. Leaned up against a tree, fence or wall (basically making a bipod) worked great though. I took a couple birds out at 30 yards doing that. The monopod is easy to walk with.

I went to get a Primos bipod or tripod but they are between models right now. The Gen 3s should be coming out in May according to Primos, most everyone is sold out of the Gen 2s.

I went by Home Depot but could not find any hardwood dowels long enough. I could have gotten some oak or maple boards and ripped some, but was not feeling like putting much effort into a set of sticks yet until I knew if they would work for what I wanted to do with them. I went to the garden section and got some of the 6 foot plastic coated metal garden stakes, and a 1 1/2" steel bolt and nylock nut. I drilled a pivot hole, put the bolt in place. I took some goop and coated the ends of the rods, and then took scrap leather and wrapped the yolk and the ends of the rods. I whipped the leather ends with some nylon floss for durability. I did both ends so the legs would not clank while moving around or placing them together.

The sticks are a tad long, but I wanted to be able to shoot upwards with them into trees and roof tops, as well as ground dwellers. I Just open them a bit more, or pivot the top forward to lower the sticks for shooting downhill, it works perfect for upwards shots and level ground. They work great, very stable and they make a nice walking staff. They are simple, light weight and seem sturdy. Not as pretty as wood and leather, but they were quick and easy until I get around to making a nicer set. The springer seems to shoot just fine resting in the yolk, no difference in POI from shooting with the artillery hold.

I think I will stay with the bipod style for walking, and get a tripod for sighting in and blind hunting. The tripod will also be a nice for my spotting scope and digiscoping. My current spotting scope tripods are made to sit behind for backpack hunts, not to stand behind.