Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I finally got fed up with the moles. It looked like a truck load of them were in my yard. I went to Rural King and bought 4 traps.This is the link if you want to order some:Mole Trap

These things have worked great. I have gotten 4 so far. I looked at different models but some were difficult to set and required a cocking lever. This trap is also pet safe which was a must for me. The jaws are down in the tunnel. You just position it over the tunnel and push it down until the base is level with the ground. You then step on the trigger to arm it. If it is sprung you probably got a mole. Relocate the traps if you see fresher mole hills or if you don't have luck in a couple days. You may need several of these to quickly knock the population down. LOL its like dealing with the pesky squirrels only you can't shoot them. This is a link to a YouTube video showing how to use it:

https://youtu.be/N28my0xNke0

There are a few different traps available. There are also a number of mole deterrents available. This is just my opinion, but I certainly am no fan of deterrents and believe them at best to be a temporary solution & would just move them around. Besides the stuff would wear off and be ineffective and you would have to buy more etc. That has certainly been the case with other species. Have any of you tried the deterrents and had sustained luck? I prefer the moles dead over being temporarily deterred. I finally settled on the Wiretek 1001 Easyset Mole Eliminator for getting rid of my pesky moles. These traps are most likely near instant death and very easy to use.

The mole war has started!

+1 for mole traps! Moles SUCK.

Poison and this and that are a waste of time.

If you find a mole still alive in the trap just dunk the whole thing in a bucket of water for 5 minutes.

Problem solved 👍

So far the ones I trapped were dead when I removed them. Moles serve a good purpose in the wild but not digging tunnels in my entire yard.

i shot all of them out of my yard .. it just takes patience and you got to get to know their habits and ambush them .. my method is keep their mounds raked down so you know where theyre operating and periodically check for dirt kicking from dawn till 9 or so on your days off .. keep the prod primed for action lol .. as theyre kicking dirt out they have a habit of laying on the surface for a few seconds and you can stalk up to within several yards in between dirt kicking sessions just do it quiet, they cant see much .. just wait till that head is up and pow lol ... it did take quite awhile to get them all though and occasionally another one will show up, probably from across the street, and start another construction zone .. id use traps to though if it was bad for sure ...

Boy do I remember the old days with my mole issues. Back then I used poisens and traps with very little sucess. We had a Dashound at that time and one day I found him digging in a mole run. Oretty soon he dug up a mole and started barking like crazy. I used my frog gig and stabbed him and of course praised my dog.. In a matter of a few minutes I heard more barking and another mole out on the ground. This went on for weeks until we gained control of the population. We moved the following year into a new home with nothing but clay, way to hard for moles to dig in, thankfully !!!

I hope my dobie doesn't learn how to dig moles up. I leave him in the house when I remove them from the trap. He would catch on in very short order if he observed me removing them he would excavate the back yard. He caught on to squirrels & PCPs in very short order. I am starting to make progress with the moles. It will just take time like it did for the pesky squirrels. I have gotten the Starlings & European sparrows under control. I gave the Revere a work out on those two. I expect the starlings to come flocking back in early summer. They like my figs!

Status
Not open for further replies.