• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Mole problem

Memberi have FX wildcat 22 and too much time on my hands. I’m off work because of spine surgery and want to get rid of the moles that are destroying my grilling area. Dose anyone have a good idea how to get’em? I mean I never see them but it’s obvious they are around. Is there a way to make them come out? My scope is a hawk 4-12×50 FX no limit rings. My night vision equipment is a mag light 😬 Anyhow suggestions would be highly appreciated! 

The best way to eradicate them is to use specific trap like the one i use
http://www.piege-a-taupe.com/mise-en-place-du-piege_a_taupes.asp

If you still want to use you FX indy simply wait the end of the day around 6to 7pm. Stay close, do not move and wait. You will easily see the mole working underground (the molehill will move a bit) -> take your shot.

regards

Are they moles or are they voles or something else (i.e., ground squirrels gophers, Norway rats, etc.)? 

Specific to moles, there are about 39 different species world wide with seven different species in the US. Some are protected while most aren't but you need to find out what you've got before trying to control them if you want to be successful. The issue with using air rifles is that most mole species either never or almost never go above ground and when they do, it is literally for seconds. So unless you are in the right place with your finger on the trigger at the right time, don't put too much success into mole control with air rifles. 

For actual control, the best option is almost always specific mole traps based on what species and soil conditions you have. The propane control is done with a device called the Molenator and is illegal to use in most residential areas due to safety risks to people and homes as are most fumigants in the US. Most poisons don't work either as moles belong to the family Talpidae and are insect eaters while voles and such belong to the order Rodentia and are plant eaters. So putting poisoned peanuts down the hole isn't going to be effective as the moles are looking for earthworms and grubs, not legumes. 

Two things I do to combat moles. I use insect lawn treatment that you can spread with a lawn spreader. Here their diet is mainly earthworms and I guess the insect treatment works on their food supply.(I treat for ants and other bugs but it seems to move the moles away?) And also the tapping a whirligig makes drives them away.

I have read on the net that you can sit in a lawn chair with a 12 gauge and when you see them moving thru the tunnel FIRE AWAY! How redneck would that be? ;)

I use cinch traps, best solution so far, no risk to other animals.
b7d8a2e2555808e33dd72efd8e183884.jpg

Hi All,
​ I live in southwest Florida and have killed over 80 moles in and around my yard. I spent at least $200.00 on different traps and poison worms.
I finally found the answer to getting rid of moles by using these traps. They fit into the runways of the moles and the moles activate the trap when they run into the trap.

If the ground is very dry I pour water over the area I am going to set trap. (You need a tunnel that won't cave in when you set the trap, the better the tunnel is to staying intact the better your chances are to get the mole.) Make sure you anchor the trap by attaching heavy line to loop at far end of trap. I have lost 2 traps one by raccoons digging up
the dead mole and another by the trap only grabbing the moles foot and he ran away with trap. I know of no other device that is more capable of getting rid of moles.
P.S. here where I live the moles are small so make sure you order the correct size for the moles you have!!! Happy Hunting :)
LarryB

http://www.traplineproducts.com/?gclid=CNjhrdupldQCFVYGhgodcAILGA

Get a good mouser cat. My old cat would bring a few home until she completely killed them all off. I oonly really fed that cat in the winter she got her own food rest of the year. Recently we had moles here in the orchard, but since the arrival of the new cat the mounds have disappeared. Go to your local shelter and get one that was born Ferrell. Females are better as males tend to tom. Calicos for some reason seem to have a strong urge to hunt