Modifying West Hinter hight adjustable rings to MOA rings

As you may allready know, if you raise a ring you change the scope angle in relation to the rings. That concentrates the stress of the scope clamps to the edges rather than an even distribution of the pressure over the inside of the ring.
I originally bought these West Hunter adjustable rings thinking they would work for MOA but they have presision locking grooves, that prevent the needed angle change.

Now that I allready own them it's time modify or replace them.
They will need to be solid as they are going on a springer.

20240503_062857.jpg

As you may allready know, if you raise a ring you change the scope angle in relation to the rings. That concentrates the stress of the scope clamps to the edges rather than an even distribution of the pressure over the inside of the ring.
I originally bought these West Hunter adjustable rings thinking they would work for MOA but they have presision locking grooves, that prevent the needed angle change.

Now that I allready own them it's time modify or replace them.
They will need to be solid as they are going on a springer.

View attachment 461245
So you're going to use green locktite? Lol

Reactions: .20calguy
So you're going to use green locktite? Lol
Locktite is an after thought once I'm satisfied with function.
Looking good so far.
The grooves on the uncut side grab the cut side well.

Once I'm satisfied with adjustable MOA, then I will drill and tap a stop screw. That will definitely need thread locker, because my tapped screws are typically loose fitting.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
It may affect the windage by damaging the grooves or worse the scope because they want to fall into the grooves. This is another option that the same company makes. Actually not the same company. But just as inexpensive.

Monstrum Adjustable Height, Adjustable MOA, Picatinny Scope Rings | 30 mm Diameter | Includes 1 inch Diameter Inserts https://a.co/d/2CDbIZu

Allen

It may affect the windage by damaging the grooves or worse the scope because they want to fall into the grooves. This is another option that the same company makes. Actually not the same company. But just as inexpensive.

Monstrum Adjustable Height, Adjustable MOA, Picatinny Scope Rings | 30 mm Diameter | Includes 1 inch Diameter Inserts https://a.co/d/2CDbIZu

Allen
1 It won't affect the windage, bcause it has two edges, locking grooves cut in both sides. The modification removes the grooves from one edge of the locking groove so that the dimensions aren't altered..

Screenshot_20240502_115709_Gallery.jpg

2. It won't damage the scope, it will protect the scope. It won't fall into the grooves because they're removed on one side, and its tightly clamped with the clamping screw.
3. I'm glad they have other options out there, but I couldn't see throwing these West Hunters away, since I already owned two sets.
👍

Locktite is an after thought once I'm satisfied with function.
Looking good so far.
The grooves on the uncut side grab the cut side well.

Once I'm satisfied with adjustable MOA, then I will drill and tap a stop screw. That will definitely need thread locker, because my tapped screws are typically loose fitting.
Gotcha, well I hope it all works out as planned. I don't have access to tools of the sort so I likely would've resorted to JB welding it lol.

I understand where your coming from. For me I would just put those on the shelf and use those rings for what they are made for, later when i need something like that. They have a purpose, I will eventually use them at some point. I have tons of rings just sitting in two drawers that rotate in and out, some I have never used. Some I hope never to use. 🙄

Allen

I understand where your coming from. For me I would just put those on the shelf and use those rings for what they are made for, later when i need something like that. They have a purpose, I will eventually use them at some point. I have tons of rings just sitting in two drawers that rotate in and out, some I have never used. Some I hope never to use. 🙄

Allen
I can't do it
Lol
I have got to continue this project now.
👍

• Haha
Reactions: Healthservices
This might be a better option for some. Dove tail to Picatinny riser a choice of 0-20 MOA

Yes, but for me, that requires two more purchases. The base and proper height 30mm rings.
In the meantime I have the Sport Match rings that I bought with the rifle, which are high 30mm dove tails, and the West Hunter adjustable 30mm dovetails, that may work and provide some entertainment in the process.
👍

Last edited:
I believe someone has filed the teeth on the West Hunter picatinny rings. Assuming the height indexing teeth are the same it might be worth looking for previous discussions.

I've been meaning to search for that since I saw this thread this morning but I haven't had the chance.
That's what I did prior to writing this thread. I searched all of Google as well.
Different search criteria can get different results though.

Allen
These look identical to the "Vector Optics" version. I have a set and they have been excellent.

That's what I did prior to writing this thread. I searched all of Google as well.
Different search criteria can get different results though.

Did a quick search on my phone & AGN Member @cosmic mentioned filing them down in at least two threads. A few years ago so hopefully he responds with some long term usage results.

I'll see what I can find. Prefer to do those searches on my laptop. Should have time later. But if you didn't find anything I doubt I will either.
I definitely remember the conversation but I don't recal the thread name.
I'll see what I can find. Prefer to do those searches on my laptop. Should have time later. But if you didn't find anything I doubt I will either.
I found the author of it.

Screenshot_20240503_205255_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Reactions: Scouty
I have a set of these rings on an avenger that I did this mod to and they've been working great for a little over a year now.
Excellent!
My application will be on a springer for a real test.
👍
I don’t see them being that much different in design than than EagleVision MOA rings for picatinny rails.
IMG_3217.jpeg

Last edited: