• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Modifying A Rainstorm 2

Aloha All,

Wondered if anyone has/had shortened the barrel or shroud? Specially the Rainstorm 30 cal? I’m getting ready to send my gun to a tuner and thought of asking him to shorten the gun to make it a handy carbine. I’m running a Clauge on it right now but would like to run a shorter gun. Maybe an LDC from Donny after it’s done. I’ll be calling the tuner tomorrow but wanted to ask the gallery if anyone has first hand experience.

Main purpose of this gun is to hunt pigs. Not worried about shot count but want accuracy and hopefully at least 75 fpe. 

Mahalo

Mark

Mahalo Jimmy!

Thanks for pointing me to Manny. I agree he is THE Evanix guru! He was the reason why I bought my Rainstorm. I followed him when he first picked up the gun and like him, ordered a LDC from Neil. 

I’ve found one guy that modified his gun with a TJ barrel and looks like he cut back the shroud about five inches. Exactly what I am hoping to accomplish. I’m sure that there are others that have modified their Rainstorm and probably my search-fu is weak... 😄 

Would post on the forum but I guess everyone is enjoying Veterans Day weekend. I cannot post until my intro is cleared... 

Will call the tuner tomorrow and run it past him

Mark

If all you want is the shroud cut & threaded for an adapter & LDC yes it can easily be done. I myself wouldn't change the barrel. I find 17" Short enough. If anything I'd like a longer more efficient barrel. I have NO idea what formula to use to find optimal in caliber, power setting, length, preferred pellet, TP, hammer weight, spring, etc. But I do know they are pretty incredible getting as much power as they do with that short barrel & a decent shot count. 

Will Piatt knows all of the above. Does he cut & thread shrouds? Don't know. If he or your tuner don't, this guy does (Aggelis Arms in York PA.) & knows everything there is to know about anything ballistic. Your desire happens to be what many go to him for, setting up dedicated rifles with whatever you want. Shroud, anyone's LDC, or I run both on my 30ftlb .22 RS & you don't even know it fired until pellet hits. True dead silence is possible at this level of power but even 30ftlbs is the top of that for true quiet. 

Seems everyone wants short rifles. To each their own. I like efficient in a PCP, & valves, regs have allowed someone with a chrony & reg tester to set up as efficiently as possible for given barrel length. I personally though may get a bull pup, Leishy, Ataman pistol if I want smaller. Since 90% of my shooting is off knees, prone w or w/out a bipod, or on sand bags, and no neighbors to complain so length noise haven't been a problem, though just yesterday I was whacking sparrows,(trying to off hand) at 48 yards. The superb quietness allowed me 3 birds & 7 shots before they wised up & left Dodge. Rainstorms are amazing.

Mahalo James!

Thanks for all the suggestions and insight! Just got off the phone with Will. Super nice guy and easy to talk to. We spoke for awhile and bounced ideas around. Sounds like he’ll be able to do all the work and I’ll end up with a gun that is accurate and easy to carry. He’ll also work on sound suppression since the 30 is a Beast! Not expecting mouse fart quiet but just enough to soften the bark. 

Mark

I have a .30 rainstorm and out of the box it was pushing over 95 ft lbs. Its 39 inches stock but I added a Donny fl sumo. With a Will Piatt depinger it’s as quiet as my .25 armada. I just had the valve and ports opened to .202 and it’s pushing 124 ft lbs with a bbt 66 grain hp. Even stock, you will have no problem taking a hog with the right shot placement. LOUD... without an ldc and depinger. Will can also install a power adjuster on the gun for you. He will treat you right for sure.

Woah Oneshot!

Your Storm is a Beast! Thanks for reminding me about the depinger! I’m gonna let Will do a full tune and cut the barrel/shroud back to the air tube. He’ll work his magic to find the sweet spot and hopefully I’ll get two consistent mags out of a charge. 

Spoke to Donny and he suggested a Ronin with a 6.5 inch extender. That way I’ll have the best of both worlds or close to it. Full length extended Moderator when shooting in the neighborhood and Ronin when I’m stomping around in the bush. 

Mahalo

Mark