• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Modified Marauder

Jeez, who was the machinist. Ray Charles ?

Hope you didn't have to pay for that kind of work. At least it is shooting well. Wonder if another gun smith can fix it up. Hard to find good help now days.

No I didn't have to pay for it and no he wasn't Ray Charles. A friend of mine drove Ray around when he had a concert in Grand Forks. Ray was much cooler than this guy. My friend was a Reserve Officer for the PD. Ray requested him as his driver. He asked Ray why. According to my friend he said "the police are less likely to shoot if your in the car"

So I'm adding a Sekmet gauge so I can really see what the regulator is doing. the old reg was leaking leaking again so I'm putting a new one on. 

You know my ability to forget important stuff is virtually unlimited. I thought that I had killed my air pump. I couldn't understand why it wasn't generating any pressure in the gun at all. Knucklehead me I still had the degassing tool screwed into the back of the gun. 

So I got the regulator fixed but there seems to be another slow leak probably a valve seal or poppet. I'll have to pull this baby apart all the way and clean her again. And replace all the seals as she goes back together. 

This Sekmet gauge is totally new to me and the little guide that came with it is I think insufficient. I was airing up the gun and I totally thought that there was something wrong with the gauge or I had screwed up the installation. It doesn't actually start registering until about 25 bar. A little note to this effect would have saved me thinking I had wasted money on an electronic gauge. Now that I know that it isn't broke and it is working, I think it's pretty cool.

Got everything on hold at the moment It is pulled apart. I had the barrel shimmed but I've decided to add just a little bit of JB weld One of the low spots you know where it was machined to dang narrow is right up at the beginning of the receiver area. I just didn't like that and I don't want it rattling at all. It didn't seem to rattle but I don't know. We'll see how this works.

I have called the Benjamin Marauder The CJ series Jeep of the air gun world.So putting it together with a little JB weld and having to disassemble and reassemble stuff about four five, six seven times before you get it the way you want. Seems about right. 

Jim

are you using any debouncing device ssg etc ?

I have one, a WAR one with the sliding magnet on the side it works ad a brake when the hammer boxes to the rear.
IMG_20210303_144341869.1650221410.jpg
IMG_20210303_144331576_MP.1650221411.jpg
No longer made I take it. Right now I am using a short spring and lightened hammer. The hammer is in free flight when it strikes. I'm just guessing but with the current efficiency I'm not wasting air