• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Modified Marauder

Ok going full down the rabbit hole on this one.

Vera came to me seriously modified. A bottle conversion, opened up valve, etc.

Her dovetail was a bit messed up. So the fix is a Georgian side lever breech, also on order is a polygonal barrel.

The breech went on fine, not much to remove to get the barrell installed. I am modifying a Kratos stock to fit this. Krazy mabe, but a have a plan. Lol.

From what I've measured, this will get the trigger placed a little further back and in this stock it's a little more of a pistol grip should be better for working from the bench. Also gives me an adjustable cheek piece. I figure if you're going to have a one-of-a-kind make it one of a kind. 

Jim

The Kratos is a huge modification, if I didn't have a spare lying around, and no Kratos I wouldn't do it. it might be easier to go with a Boyds stock, especially if you have a gen 2. Pics to follow.

The Kratos narrows at the top, where it narrows it is 1.25 inches wide same as the air tube of the Marauder. So, I may need to be creative there. I have some ideas. 

Jim

PXL_20220322_223455135.1647989176.jpg
PXL_20220322_223440612.1647989177.jpg
PXL_20220101_162307137.1647989178.jpg

PXL_20220323_010248247.1647999966.jpg
PXL_20220323_010231208.1647999967.jpg
Ok I'm probably an idiot. I had unscrewed my regulator body by .25 of a turn. It had been running at 1900psi really a nice shot cycle. I was getting the same fps as at 2200 psi. Using a lighter hammer spring. Airing it back up I blew an oring. So rebuild the regulator restack the Belleville washers. Only took 5 tries to get back close to the 1900psi it's now at 1800psi. The lever isn't as smooth as my Wildcat. It is new and I think it will smooth out. Hopefully tomorrow I will get it sighted in and run it across the Chrono.

Jim

Ok I ordered a polygonal barrel for my .25 I believed that it would never arrive. It was coming from Moscow. I ordered it before the war started. I will say it wasn't likely to arrive rusty. Probably enough oil on it to change the oil in a Young Heng.

When I pulled the patch through I got to wear a big squirt of oil. Stinky sticky oil. 2 scrubs with GoJo to get it off. 

It seems to be a nice barrel, it is still sticky yet.

Jim

For now I'm shooting it with my original Green Mountain barrel Right now. I've got the FX harmonic balancer and a short FX moderator on the front as well. It's quiet as heck and I have to say when you adjust that harmonic balancer it is doing something. First groups were a little wide and then I dialed it a little about a turn and now it's stacking pellets. Pretty impressive. Less impressive is the fact that only one of the magazines that came with my receiver actually fits. The other the slot for the barrel stub is too narrow and it won't slide in. I'll have to modify that so that it will work. I have contacted the seller, we'll see what they say. 

PXL_20220326_144340157.1648305884.jpg
PXL_20220326_144159947.1648305885.jpg
PXL_20220326_144151046.1648305886.jpg
For now I'm shooting it with my original Green Mountain barrel Right now. I've got the FX harmonic balancer and a short FX moderator on the front as well. It's quiet as heck and I have to say when you adjust that harmonic balancer it is doing something. First groups were a little wide and then I dialed it a little about a turn and now it's stacking pellets. Pretty impressive. Less impressive is the fact that only one of the magazines that came with my receiver actually fits. The other the slot for the barrel stub is too narrow and it won't slide in. I'll have to modify that so that it will work. I have contacted the seller, we'll see what they say. I should have taken a before pic of the magazines, it was off by almost a millimeter. I should have finished but my hands started hurting. Getting old is better than the alternative, but.....

Jim

Update,

Not much to say yet except that it kills tree rats real well. I'm still waiting on the barrel to get back from the gunsmith so I'm still shooting the original Green Mountain barrel in this. I have to say that my capacity for being a senior numbskull is nearly unlimited. The magazine I was trying to jam into it is for a 22 caliber Marauder. So now I have modified a 22 caliber Marauder magazine to fit the 25 caliber barrel and it fits perfectly in there. Now I'm going to have to see if there's any way for me to fit 25 caliber pellets into this so that I can salvage some kind of usefulness out of what I just destroyed. 

On a good note, I did get some FX adjustable rings that fit the dovetail. So I plan on adjusting these so that the optically centered scope will be hitting at 100 yd. 

Jim

That Custom Air side lever. How long did it take to receive it ? And hows it working. Much trouble getting it to line up . Love the idea. Just wanted some feedback from someone actually using it. Thanks.

Short about 2 weeks to get it. It was ordered before the current trouble in Europe. 

I like it, easy to install. My only issue is the barrel I ordered. No problem with the barrel that I know of but possibly issues at the gunsmith. Was supposed to be done in a week, still not done as of last Monday "it needs polishing" "my lathe had some issues". I have a call in to him. Still waiting to hear back.

Jim

All right. I picked up the barrel today. I have never seen anything brutalized like this was. 

I asked for it to be machined to one half inch. However, it was anywhere between .402 for a half inch at one end to point .518 in certain bumps. Saying that I had issues with my digital gauge and the controller for the lathe just doesn't quite cut it.

So anyway, instead of being 24 in it's 23 and a half it does significantly fill the shroud a bit more. I was able to get two baffles in. I do have a smaller bottle on so that I won't be wasting as much air when I drain it to make adjustments. I did some shooting at 40 yds. I had to do some dialing with the harmonic balancer but 26.8 grain slugs from NSA did eventually start dropping into one hole. 

I didn't get any chronographing done. However, I do seem to have the power backed all the way out and it's shooting quite well. I'm very impressed with the FX no limit rings that I bought for it. I have it optically centered and hitting dead on at 40 yards at the moment. 

I ran 54 shots and the 3rd of a liter bottle dropped by 1,000 psi. I would have to say that the efficiency is quite good.