Modified .357 Benjamin Bulldog Preparation for Deer Season

First time chronographing shots from this gun.
6AE32D87-E03F-4FCC-AE10-2E35E494AEBF.jpeg

First consistent and believable string in tricky lighting.
9E53E31B-00BC-489F-850C-1F7E93D2055C.jpeg

3F2EDFB4-3571-40B8-A89B-E29D1F74C2DA.jpeg

While the pics were uploading I went got up to gas up my gun (I hadn’t picked up the rifle yet) after finishing a mag and a small 6 point buck runs up behind me and turns around. I’m not sure if he actually ran up because I didn’t hear him. I did see him facing me, then turn around and trot away. He turned to look back before hitting the treeline. He looked young. Smh. The opportunities that come along when I’m not ready are amazing sometimes.

Last edited:
That is some good power there. Were you just showing what you plan to shoot at? There are no impacts on your target.
@ram2jeep I tried sighting it in laying prone and using a bipod. I got close with one scope but didn’t like the glass. So I swapped to a Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP and didn’t quite get it right. I’m in the ballpark, but I need to dial it in. When I saw a buck while sighting in the second scope and couldn’t even pick up my rifle to take a shot if it presented one because it wasn’t prepared.

I don’t dial scopes much so if I can’t see how the reticle is moving then I will sure enough move it in the wrong direction before I get it right. I needed a solid base and didn’t bring one, nor did I bring a rear bag. I should have gotten out earlier this morning to have given myself more time to make the proper adjustments. Consequently, the targets look like crap. I also like to have my data for legal purposes if ever questioned by a game warden about the meeting the legal power requirement (fpe) for hunting deer. That was my primary concern. I was uploading photos between shot strings, but my signal was so poor it was taking forever to upload 3 pics, then I saw the buck.

Last edited:
Definitely appreciate your honesty and can understand. I had a beast of a time getting my .457 Texan on paper. I switched scopes 3 times because it just didn’t feel right. After going through all the trouble I just put the Texan away and haven’t really brought it out for close to a year.
I’ll take that Texan to the range and then just leave it in the Jeep and shoot everything thing else I brought with me.
True hunter as well for not even attempting to take a shot because you knew it wasn’t ready. Keep at it and the opportunity will present itself again. That Benjamin is putting out some real power; wish my M3 in .357 could reach those numbers.

@ram2jeep This one was modified by an AGN member. My stock Bulldog produces 150 fpe on its best shot in a string using the same ammo. I was shooting NSA 110 grain dish base hollow point slugs. I was shocked to see that 1007 fps reading. I really need to get out earlier when the sun is straight up because I got a few wonky readings in a couple of strings that had me scratching my head. It was usually the first shot, but I was shooting north to south and the sunlight was in and out of the western treeline, especially when the breeze blew. I think that may have been throwing off the reading. I also had the chronograph resting on a piece of cardboard laid across two thick pieces of a rotten tree branch it wasn’t complete flat and I didn’t bring a tripod capable of mounting it low enough to shoot across prone even with my bipod as high as I could elevate it.

Last edited:
Those numbers look great. The NSA 142 grain slugs will probably shoot pretty accurate out of that Bulldog, and with that power should poke two holes in a broadside deer.
@Airgun-hobbyist Thanks. I read some reviews. Which have you used? I see a description for the .357 142 grain HP-DB that states, “This is a hollow point nose with a dish base. Slugs has been changed to a flat base with similar nose profile.”

To which are you referring, HP-DB or HP-FB?

Also do you (or other members) have any experience with Griffin slugs? I saw some .357, 135 grain cup-base slugs that look interesting.

Last edited:
Just my opinion but I would certainly use heavier slugs for deer.
@Trucker3573 Maybe so. I have some, but I’m working with these for now. My primary concern and point of chronographing my shots is to be sure and have proof that I am meeting the specified requirements according to state regulations. Also I’m hunting for meat. I need to be able to dress and drag what I kill, so I’m not after large deer and I certainly don’t intend to feed coyotes unless they want the entrails or kidneys because I intend to take the liver and the heart as well.

I do have some heavier ammo and I’ll get to it. Thanks for your input.

@Airgun-hobbyist Thanks. I read some reviews. Which have you used? I see a description for the .357 142 grain HP-DB that states, “This is a hollow point nose with a dish base. Slugs has been changed to a flat base with similar nose profile.”

To which are you referring, HP-DB or HP-FB?

Also do you (or other members) have any experience with Griffin slugs? I saw some .357, 135 grain cup-base slugs that look interesting.

NSA has changed that swaged slug's design twice in the past year or so. It is now a simple hollow point-flat back HP-FB that has a little more bearing surface to ride the rifling on. It can be sized to whatever your barrel likes for accuracy. .356, .357, or .358. I use their .357 ammo in my .357 Slayer with great results.

As far as that Griffin ammo goes, it is heavier so you'll be slower but probably way over the legal energy requirements. Get a fairly large selection of ammo and find one that shoots the most accurate with the smallest group out of your particular barrel. That way you could take a close range head shot and drop the deer in it's tracks. ;-)

At his power levels the 110grain NSA will have no problem killing a deer @ 50 yards, even a stock Bulldog will... want proof?

here are 93grain NSA killing deer with less power:
Well no kidding it WILL kill a deer. So will a 22lr it doesn’t mean that is going to be my number one choice. You all do you. Honestly don’t really care. Just giving some input.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
NSA has changed that swaged slug's design twice in the past year or so. It is now a simple hollow point-flat back HP-FB that has a little more bearing surface to ride the rifling on. It can be sized to whatever your barrel likes for accuracy. .356, .357, or .358. I use their .357 ammo in my .357 Slayer with great results.

As far as that Griffin ammo goes, it is heavier so you'll be slower but probably way over the legal energy requirements. Get a fairly large selection of ammo and find one that shoots the most accurate with the smallest group out of your particular barrel. That way you could take a close range head shot and drop the deer in it's tracks. ;-)
@Airgun-hobbyist I have shot a decent variety and have 2 acceptable slugs with different grain weights that shoot well. I recently came across info on the function of various bases. Rebated boat tails and cup-base slugs caught my attention for a couple of reasons. The info was on Griffin’s site and I discussed it with another knowledgeable member after coming across it in another AGN thread. It’s toward the bottom of the home page in a section entitled “Base Types” beneath a couple of “Featured Collections.” If anyone is interested here’s a link to Griffin Airgun Ammo’s “Home” page -

LOL... Maybe just Maybe, the 110gr. happens to be the most accurate round in his gun. and accuracy trumps foots pounds of energy or velocity to the smart shooter. 5 shots @ 50yards with 110gr. NSA Stock BulldogView attachment 307442
Spot on. Accuracy does trump power to the smart shooter.

Reactions: Scotay42
So you have 2 Bulldogs ? one set up for arrows and one for bullets ?
@AirArcher66 The one in this thread is a ramped up slug gun than can shoot pellets too. The one in the air bolts thread is stock and I’ve pretty much learned the platform with it. I’ve shot pellets, slugs, bolts with it. That one shoots pellets very well. Only installed a depinger and barrel supports on it. Older pic here of the pair.
2750E028-D0F5-4612-9C0C-9BF14B1002FD.jpeg

@AirArcher66 The one in this thread is a ramped up slug gun than can shoot pellets too. The one in the air bolts thread is stock and I’ve pretty much learned the platform with it. I’ve shot pellets, slugs, bolts with it. That one shoots pellets very well. Only installed a depinger and barrel supports on it. Older pic here of the pair. View attachment 307450
Cool, I'm a big proponent of having several guns of the same platform,....familiarity is important to me.

Agree with your conclusions, the stock Bullpups shoot pellets really well and are a 150 FPE gun essentially,.....Your tuned Dog at over 200 FPE with the 110gr is certainly a deer killer

@Airgun-hobbyist I have shot a decent variety and have 2 acceptable slugs with different grain weights that shoot well. I recently came across info on the function of various bases. Rebated boat tails and cup-base slugs caught my attention for a couple of reasons. The info was on Griffin’s site and I discussed it with another knowledgeable member after coming across it in another AGN thread. It’s toward the bottom of the home page in a section entitled “Base Types” beneath a couple of “Featured Collections.” If anyone is interested here’s a link to Griffin Airgun Ammo’s “Home” page -

I have read that the rebated boat tail does perform much better out of an airgun, and in my testing, it is a true statement. They are usually more accurate for a couple of reasons. First, due to how the blast of air comes off the end of the slug as it leaves the barrel. It doesn't disrupt the initial flight as much. And second, in how the slug flies through the air. It is less effected by said high speed air "spoiling" off the back of it. If I remember correctly, the air spoiling off the back on the rebated boat tail allows them to loose less energy down range (instead of creating an air drag, slowing them down).

LOL... Maybe just Maybe, the 110gr. happens to be the most accurate round in his gun. and accuracy trumps foots pounds of energy or velocity to the smart shooter. 5 shots @ 50yards with 110gr. NSA Stock BulldogView attachment 307442
@WarriorPoet Good looking group there. When I get her dialed in like that with this new scope, she’s going back into the woods. I think I need to clean my barrel as well. It could probably use a scrubbing. This one is supposed to be capable of decent groups at 100 yards. I simply haven’t put that sort of time in with her.

@Airgun-hobbyist The way this Bulldog hogs and expels air I’m thinking the boat tails might be worth testing. They were hard to come by at one point during the pandemic so I focused on shooting dish-base and flat-base hollows. I didn’t look at boat tails again until I recently read a thread they were mentioned in.