• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Modern scopes compared to 7 years ago

My experience with scopes, comes from my friend's large air rifle collection, with scopes on all of them. None of his scopes are newer than 2011 models. He owns a few sub $300 Hawke scopes, a few UTG scopes, and a few BSA scopes. I notice all of these scopes are not as bright as his other brands are, especially at higher magnifications. He even has a few sub $200 Bushnell and Simmons, which are optically superior. Not picking sides or favorites. these are just my personal observations. 

My question is this: In the past 7 years since he has been purchased any scopes, have those brands I listed improved their optical quality of their sub $300 scopes? Or should I still avoid those at this time?

In the last 8 years or so optical coatings technology has improved by leaps and bounds . Even cheap inferior glass looks better because of coatings used on glass. There are many types of coatings that are available on glass. More expensive glass usually better coatings. 200 $ Hawke scopes are a good buy for a budget scope. A 300$ SWFA is a fantastic buy because there is no middle man to mark up the price . You get a lot of scope for the money. if you can live with a fixed power scope. UTG is an ok budget scope. Stay away from BSA. Bushnell and Simmons have made some good scopes But the better the scope the more $ you will give up. Just do plenty of research on the models that meets your needs don’t get in a hurry to buy. Then find the scope you want at a good price. I am no riflescope expert. I hope this helps, M

Reactions: junerson1
I haven't found a modern scope that is as easy on my eyes and as clear as the old Bushnell elite 4200 6-24x40 for the price. I had 3 mil dot 4200 and currently have a 4200 DOT reticle, these scopes are bulletproof and were the goto scope for many years for airguns. I've tried many scopes over the past 50 years few were great lots were good even more were not good, the old Bushnell 4200s were and still are great scopes for any era.

+ 1 on the 4200s. Recently bought an Elite 4500 and it's nicer in some ways but will not focus below 25 yds. Bummer cause I really like it. Also bought a Weaver V24 and have to say, it's as clear, ranges well, not heavy, and not terribly expensive. Been on a mission here lately to find a better scope than my 4200 32x for FT and just can't seem to find one without being in the $3k range. This Weaver might just be it, though. 

My main gripe is the clarity on most of them. Weight is out of control, also.

Anyone know what the difficulty of them getting down to 10 yds is? Seems like there are a LOT of nice possibilities if only they would range down to 10 yds.

Bob 

+ 1 on the 4200s. Recently bought an Elite 4500 and it's nicer in some ways but will not focus below 25 yds. Bummer cause I really like it. Also bought a Weaver V24 and have to say, it's as clear, ranges well, not heavy, and not terribly expensive. Been on a mission here lately to find a better scope than my 4200 32x for FT and just can't seem to find one without being in the $3k range. This Weaver might just be it, though. 

My main gripe is the clarity on most of them. Weight is out of control, also.

Anyone know what the difficulty of them getting down to 10 yds is? Seems like there are a LOT of nice possibilities if only they would range down to 10 yds.

Bob

You just struck a chord close to my heart, Bob. Why in this world must scopes weigh so stupidly much? I have an awesome Simmons which weighs 18oz, and an older Varix 3 Leupold which weighs 14oz. The Weaver V series are right at one pound. Hawke, for example, has an awesome line up of scopes for airgunners. And they weigh like an Army tank. It's just stupid, unless the scope is for benchrest only. At this particular time, for my spring guns, I will stick with the Weaver V series, and for PCPs the Simmons Predator Quest are unbeatable when it comes to weight, size, and optical clarity for under $2. These are both reasonable priced scopes, that make higher priced scopes REALLY have to be a LOT better for me to consider them.