• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Moderators - quieter to go bigger or match your caliber?

Remember you can always just drill a ldc to make it larger.

One thing to factor in is whether or not there is a air stripper of some sort on the gun.

I have been finding my guns with air stripper does something funky to slugs, making them clip the ldc.

So I opened the ldc more and this was still happening.

Removed air stripper, ldc to barrel no more clipping and both pellets and slugs are shooting just fine.

For .22 I really like Donnyfl Koi
1583767838_14672462035e66611ee5c011.58751335.jpg

I have a .25 Ronin that appears to have a bore size more appropriate for a .30 and a .22 sumo. This .22 sumo has a bore size that is big enough for a .25 and I have used them both on a .25 marauder with a shortened shroud and notice no difference in sound reduction between the two. The sumo seems to have a slightly higher frequency sound than the Ronin. No clipping in either moderator. 

I am sure you would be advised to go one caliber bigger than what you have to avoid the chance of pellet clipping because the precision of the engineering of all the different shrouds and centering of all the barrel bores out there can’t be guaranteed and misalignment is a possibility to whatever degree.

All that being said, If you have two moderators with identical dimensions except one has a larger-than-needed bore and end cap it will be louder than the one with the correct caliber size bore. 

Donny has a notice on his website that gives a heads up about the suppressor bore diameters.. 
Always up-size one size from the pellet size that the rifle will be shooting. This will help prevent pellet-clipping.
I have a few of his suppressors in .30dia for .25cal and in .25dia for .22 cal.

Just for kicks, I used both the .25dia and the .30dia suppressors on a .25 rifle, 
and there was no difference in sound. There was no POI change either.

So just up-size like he recommends, and you'll be just fine!

😊👍 

Sam -